Chequamegon National Forest this weekend - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 08-28-2009, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Chequamegon National Forest this weekend

We're going to check out some of the new motor vehicle trails in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest this Sunday. Probably heading to the Medford landbase since it's closest to us. We'll post up a report and pics when we get back. Have to bring some tow straps (just in case) since we don't have a winch yet. haha.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/cnnf/MVUM/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-28-2009, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I'm glad to see that all 3 members of the Great Lakes area have viewed this thread (can you feel the sarcasm?). Jeez... we need more members in this area.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-02-2009, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I took pictures and have a trail report... but after reading some of the other trail reports of where people have gone (in funner states than Wisconsin) my report will look like a turd. I'll work on it though.
FYI... most of the trails we were on were actually Fire Lanes which were in better shape than the paved roads we took to get there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Rock God

I'd like to see the pics
post #5 of 11 Old 09-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Wheeler

Yeah, post up some pics. Most of what I do is 2 tracks around here and I enjoy the scenery more that anything.

2007 JK 2 Door Jeep Green
2.5 Teraflex BB, 35" MTZ, Cragar Soft 8s and other stuff...
post #6 of 11 Old 09-18-2009, 09:25 PM

Oct 2-4 McCaslin

Were from Fort Atkinson WI, Im taking my family to McCaslin for camping& trailing. weve rented the cabin & we have the red limo, come join us.Herbie
post #7 of 11 Old 09-27-2009, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Trip report

I posted up a trip report for this in the tails & trails section. Here's a link if anyone's interested. Sorry I didn't take more pics, but it all started looking the same.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14147
post #8 of 11 Old 10-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Granite Guru

We just returned from Ouray, CO. Most of the roads we traveled were graded gravel county roads. Very little technical driving involved. The scenery was spectacular but the roads were easy.

The Forest Service Roads in Land Between the Lakes are mostly the same. Graded gravel with a few creeks and holes.

Nothing wrong with a nice drive in the woods. Good Wife would have appreciated these roads far more than a shelf road with a 500 foot dropoff out her door.

I bet those Wisconsin fire trails can get real exciting with a foot of snow on them. Post some photos from a drive in January.

Anyway, nice pictures and any day in your Jeep on a trail beats any kind of work.

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill", Bob Arnett
post #9 of 11 Old 10-05-2009, 08:02 PM

what road was that trail off of near Medford ,and where did you get the map ?I cant wait till i get 35's & a lift kit to go trailing so i 'll settle for easy trails.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-07-2009, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

The maps are available at the park office in Medford... there's a nice little help-yourself kiosk full of different maps in front of the office, so it's accessible even if the office is closed. Just use that map to get to the fire lanes. Honestly, we drove around in circles for awhile until we found a road that took us back to the fire lanes and then it took awhile longer to figure out what we were looking at on the map. But once it clicked, it was very easy to figure out where we were, and where to go.

I drove through Neilsville on Hwy 10/Hwy 73 (between Eau Claire and Wausau) this past weekend and it looked like there were some pretty nice fire lanes in the Clark County Forest there too. I might drive back over there in the next week or two to check them out... the fall foliage was unbelievable!!
post #11 of 11 Old 10-07-2009, 04:27 PM

thanks for the info , i'd like to go for another 3 day weekend up north wheeling before the snow fly's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode