Anyone around Dodgeville, WI?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 08-26-2009, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Anyone around Dodgeville, WI??

wondering if there is anywhere to wheel near there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Rock God

I used to live in Platteville... my dad lives there. I think Dodgeville is on the way there. Don't know of any spots to wheel but the terrain would be perfect for it! If you find somewhere, let me know so I can check it out when I visit. Have fun!
post #3 of 21 Old 08-26-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHJeep View Post
I used to live in Platteville... my dad lives there. I think Dodgeville is on the way there. Don't know of any spots to wheel but the terrain would be perfect for it! If you find somewhere, let me know so I can check it out when I visit. Have fun!
I'm not going there yet lol....but I am applying for job there IF there is some place to wheel with a few hours. whats up with all the *ville town names around there And yes looks like Dodgeville would be on way to Platteville. Whats it like out there, mostly rural?

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 08-27-2009, 05:58 AM
Rock God

Don't do it! Move to FL!

Just kidding.
post #5 of 21 Old 08-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
I'm not going there yet lol....but I am applying for job there IF there is some place to wheel with a few hours. whats up with all the *ville town names around there And yes looks like Dodgeville would be on way to Platteville. Whats it like out there, mostly rural?

If you get a job and relocate there, we'll come wheel with ya! Need to build up some members in Wisconsin so we have people to go wheeling with.
It's rural but within close enough driving distance to Madison to do fun stuff and experience some culture. A lot of cows and farms, but the terrain is very hilly with rocks. The closer you get to the Mississippi River the better the terrain for wheeling. I love that area of the state and would move there if I wasn't stuck in Wausau. Very scenic, a lot of wildlife, rivers and streams, green rolling hills and bluffs, etc. We're new to wheeling so we're still trying to find places in our area to go. We'll be checking out some of the motor vehicle trails in the Chequamegon National Forest in the next month... I'll post up something in the trails section when we get pics. Good luck with the job thing!
post #6 of 21 Old 08-27-2009, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Rural= Good

I'm not a city fan, unless there is a flood or I can run some taxi's off the road

thanks for the info Ladies

Quote:

post #7 of 21 Old 08-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Rural= Good

I'm not a city fan, unless there is a flood or I can run some taxi's off the road

I was useless, but you're welcome
post #8 of 21 Old 08-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Rural= Good

If you like rural... you'll like Wisconsin. lol. Seriously though, that area is so perfectly scenic because of the Wisconsin River flowing into the Mississippi River and all the glacial activity. Devil's Lake State Park is just north of Dodgeville and that place is awesome (big boulders, deep lake, forests). The Wisconsin River is pretty shallow in some spots and is known for its sand bars - it would be fun to drive the Jeep through some of that terrain! We used to do a lot of camping on the river when we were kids - just canoe down to a sand bar and claim it as home as long as you want. I'm sure there are plenty of wheeling opportunities yet to be explored by JKO members. In fact, I might just drive down to my dad's land to see if he'll let me do some wheeling there!
post #9 of 21 Old 08-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Rock God

Quote:
If you like rural... you'll like Wisconsin. lol. Seriously though, that area is so perfectly scenic because of the Wisconsin River flowing into the Mississippi River and all the glacial activity. Devil's Lake State Park is just north of Dodgeville and that place is awesome (big boulders, deep lake, forests). The Wisconsin River is pretty shallow in some spots and is known for its sand bars - it would be fun to drive the Jeep through some of that terrain! We used to do a lot of camping on the river when we were kids - just canoe down to a sand bar and claim it as home as long as you want. I'm sure there are plenty of wheeling opportunities yet to be explored by JKO members. In fact, I might just drive down to my dad's land to see if he'll let me do some wheeling there!
Thanks to those camping trips I'm still afraid of water. That river is not very nice
post #10 of 21 Old 08-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3itch View Post
Thanks to those camping trips I'm still afraid of water. That river is not very nice
Yeah, but it might be perfect for a U-boat.
post #11 of 21 Old 08-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Yeah, but it might be perfect for a U-boat.
Very valid point!
post #12 of 21 Old 08-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3itch View Post
BTW...What exactly did you find scary about that river? I don't remember anything bad happening. In fact, I have some very fond memories of swimming at the nude beach in Mazo... pretty nice water if you ask me!
post #13 of 21 Old 08-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Rock God

I wasn't ever one to check out the nude beach, but I do remember being very small swimming in all the crazy currents and almost being sucked under where the sand bars just drop off into a black abyss. Scared the bejeepers out of me.
post #14 of 21 Old 09-06-2009, 06:23 AM
Rock God

Dodgeville pics

Hey tkob... went to Platteville this weekend to visit my dad and took some pics of the Dodgeville area for ya. My dad also said there's a Jeep club in the area called Stump Jumpers.

post #15 of 21 Old 09-18-2009, 08:41 PM

trails north of you

hey Goddess ::youve got trails north of you.Crivitz(pipeline),Rib lake ,and MT.McCaslin at silver cliff (im trailing & camping there Oct.2-4 . hey U-boat i live in FortAtkinson and drive TAXIin Whitewater.
post #16 of 21 Old 09-18-2009, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

damn I missed your post, those pictures are awesome, I could live out there guess I gotta call the old boss back again

Quote:

post #17 of 21 Old 09-27-2009, 07:19 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher1959 View Post
hey Goddess ::youve got trails north of you.Crivitz(pipeline),Rib lake ,and MT.McCaslin at silver cliff (im trailing & camping there Oct.2-4 . hey U-boat i live in FortAtkinson and drive TAXIin Whitewater.

Hey punisher, sorry I missed your post.
So far, we've checked out the motor vehicle trails at the Chequamegon National Forest - Medford Landbase. It was pretty boring (easy)... fire roads mostly, and well-maintained. We still want to check out Northland Overland which is only about an hour away from us and I think we'll be heading to McCaslin Mountain Campground to meet up with a bunch of wheelers from wi4x4.com on 10/10.
We've been too busy this summer to do much wheeling, but we're getting there slowly. Maybe we'll see you out on the trails sometime! Have fun at McCaslin on 10/2 and make sure to write up a report on here with pics if you can!
post #18 of 21 Old 01-18-2010, 12:41 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Hey punisher, sorry I missed your post.
So far, we've checked out the motor vehicle trails at the Chequamegon National Forest - Medford Landbase. It was pretty boring (easy)... fire roads mostly, and well-maintained. We still want to check out Northland Overland which is only about an hour away from us and I think we'll be heading to McCaslin Mountain Campground to meet up with a bunch of wheelers from wi4x4.com on 10/10.
We've been too busy this summer to do much wheeling, but we're getting there slowly. Maybe we'll see you out on the trails sometime! Have fun at McCaslin on 10/2 and make sure to write up a report on here with pics if you can!
did you ever make it up to McCaslin Mountain ? if so how was it. i would hate to take a 6 hr drive to find-out it was to easy / to hard we have a place im dodge county on beaver dam lake and from their it would be about 3 1/2 to 4 hrs

07 JK 4 DOOR X WITH HIGH ROCK FRONT WINCH BUMPER APPROACH ROLLERS/WARN 9.5TI WINCH WITH CUT-OFF SWITCH/2.5" RC SPRING LIFT/HYDRO SHOCKS/1"M.O.R.E BL/1" front leveling pucks/33" BFG KM2 ON STOCK 17"/RIVER RAIDER ROCKER GUARDS-SLIDERS/OFF ROAD HEROS FASTBACK SOFT TOP/GIBSON DUEL EXHAUST/CUSTOM MADE TRUNK/HELLA FF300/HELLA500 W-WINDSHIELD MOUNTS/DELTA SKYBAR/CARBON FIBER DASH KIT/GUAGE PODS WITH VOLT-OIL PRESSURE-OIL TEMP GUAGES/COBRA 75/HIGH LIFT/AND A LOT OF RECOVERY GEAR
post #19 of 21 Old 01-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Rock God

Yeah, we have gone to McCaslin once so far. We'll definitely be back. Since we're new to off-roading, it was scary at first. But once we got through some of the trails and got more familiar with how to find our line in the Jeep, it was totally fun! The hills are steep in some areas, but not impassable, some puddles and rocks, etc. We didn't run all the trails available but it seemed that there was enough to keep everyone busy and challenged. There's also a "play area" - just some open space to do donuts in the dirt, shallow puddles, little hills. Here's a link to my trail write-up with a link to photobucket for more pictures:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16330
post #20 of 21 Old 01-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Rock God

Those Dodgeville pics make me miss home......

Thanks JHJ

~ Clam
post #21 of 21 Old 02-16-2010, 08:20 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher1959 View Post
I live just south of Whitewater. You go wheelin alot? We are always looking for somewhere to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode