post #1 of 17 Old 08-06-2009, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Anyone in NW Indiana?

I'm in Valpo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-09-2009, 03:15 PM

Go Indiana !

Well, I'm pretty close to you, I'm in LaPorte, about 20 minutes east of Valpo. I just Got my forst Jeep in June and I've been hoping to get to a Jeep Jamboree or somewhere to learn how to properly drive it offroad, without hurting it. It's completely stock and will probably stay that way for a while.
post #3 of 17 Old 08-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Granite Guru

Check out that post for the badlands just below this one if you're looking for something nearby. Attica isn't that bad a drive from LaPorte, and you'd have all morning to make it!

Our family buys most of our vehicles from Magnusson at the dealer up in LaPorte. Father-in-just grabbed a Dodge Ram from him last week, in fact.

2008 Wrangler X
--Jeep Green w/soft-top

2013 Unlimited Sport
--Gecko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-11-2009, 03:18 AM

Wow, it's a small world. Yeah I was told about Attica, I was just hoping to find a beginners course somewhere, so somone could show me the ropes a little, so I don't do something stupid and hurt the Jeep. All, I'm looking for, is to go off road and learn and have some fun, I don't think I'll ever be into hard core stuff, it just costs too much momey to repair things.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-11-2009, 05:15 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansland1 View Post
Wow, it's a small world. Yeah I was told about Attica, I was just hoping to find a beginners course somewhere, so somone could show me the ropes a little, so I don't do something stupid and hurt the Jeep. All, I'm looking for, is to go off road and learn and have some fun, I don't think I'll ever be into hard core stuff, it just costs too much momey to repair things.
Come down on the 15th to the Badlands with Jeeps Gone Wild. They took me in when I had never been off road and taught me quite a bit.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Granite Guru

I got a feeling the badlands trip is about what you're looking for. 5Cents here says they have bypasses for all the real rough stuff. I'm hoping for the same, since my X is without mods and I'd rather not keep putting dents in the bumpers trying things on my own.

Just hope the badlands doesn't mind me bringing a little southern Indiana dirt along with me...

2008 Wrangler X
--Jeep Green w/soft-top

2013 Unlimited Sport
--Gecko
post #7 of 17 Old 08-11-2009, 05:14 PM

I might be able to make it on the 15th, how do I get in touch with the group ? I'm a complete beginner at off roading. It sounds like alot of fun, any ideas what kind of costs I should expect ?
post #8 of 17 Old 08-12-2009, 05:18 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
I might be able to make it on the 15th, how do I get in touch with the group ? I'm a complete beginner at off roading. It sounds like alot of fun, any ideas what kind of costs I should expect ?
Here is a link to the thread on the get together on Jeep forum. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=829997 If you have any questions outside of what is posted feel free to ask on there or PM me here if you want. I am heading to work. Sorry for the not so detailed response.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-12-2009, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the information and link. I'll check it out.
post #10 of 17 Old 08-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Granite Guru

alright mansland, my wife and I are planning on making the badlands trip, so I need another newbie to get in trouble with...or avoid, whichever takes the best picture.

2008 Wrangler X
--Jeep Green w/soft-top

2013 Unlimited Sport
--Gecko
post #11 of 17 Old 08-14-2009, 05:06 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichthus View Post
alright mansland, my wife and I are planning on making the badlands trip, so I need another newbie to get in trouble with...or avoid, whichever takes the best picture.
I almost forgot. You will need an orange flag. You can buy it there for $15 or you can get a bicycle flag from walmart for like $3 in the bike section. However you want to do it. They both work the same. Just run the flag pole down through the spare tire and zip tie to the third brake light. (I will show you when you get there)
post #12 of 17 Old 08-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Granite Guru

I saw they wanted you to have an orange flag...but thanks. Good to know I can save gas money by buying at Walmart.

2008 Wrangler X
--Jeep Green w/soft-top

2013 Unlimited Sport
--Gecko
post #13 of 17 Old 08-20-2009, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Well, I'm pretty close to you, I'm in LaPorte, about 20 minutes east of Valpo. I just Got my forst Jeep in June and I've been hoping to get to a Jeep Jamboree or somewhere to learn how to properly drive it offroad, without hurting it. It's completely stock and will probably stay that way for a while.
I go down to the badlands now and then. It's great. Lots of bypasses if there is something you don't want to do. They have different trails with different diffuculty levels. The green trail is probably the easiest. The orange is a little harder. They also have a red trail. I haven't done it yet. I work at Sacred Choa tattoos in Valpo. Stop in sometime. You can tag along with us the next time we go if you want.

Doug
Valparaiso, IN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Steel Blue X Unlimited
Rubi D44 up front with chromo shafts, riddler cover, and CTM u-joints
4" Frankenlift
black steel wheels
35" AT's
Rock Hard bumper and tire carrier
Nate's 4x4 frnt winch bumper
(custom chopped into a stubby)
Rubi rails
Rock Hard skids
KC 8" driving lights
KC 6" driving lights on KC windshield mounts
Tuffy console insert
post #14 of 17 Old 08-20-2009, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
It is $20 for the vehicle and driver for one day and $5 for each additional passenger.

Doug
Valparaiso, IN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

4" Frankenlift
black steel wheels
35" AT's
Rubi rails
Rock Hard skids
KC 8" driving lights
Tuffy console insert
post #15 of 17 Old 08-21-2009, 04:47 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_natural78 View Post
The green trail is probably the easiest.
I don't know what part of green you were running but without a lift there is a long section on green that will easily get you damage without sliders.
post #16 of 17 Old 08-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Granite Guru

You'd have to ask Eddie what trails we hit, 5cents....

Finally get to pick up my Jeep today. Time to find some Rubi shocks/springs/wheels and tires, which should get me through most of what I didn't feel comfortable with last time.

2008 Wrangler X
--Jeep Green w/soft-top

2013 Unlimited Sport
--Gecko
post #17 of 17 Old 08-27-2009, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 View Post
I don't know what part of green you were running but without a lift there is a long section on green that will easily get you damage without sliders.
There are a lot of high center obstacles on the green trail. I ran it several times with out a lift and I have an unlimited. All I had was 33" tires and chopped fenders. I did get high centered on the frame rails a few times and needed a tug. No damage really...unless you count some good scratches on the stock skids. I didn't have any sliders then either. There is a section that is commonly called the rock garden that you would want some sort of sliders and evap protection for. I'm not sure if it is part of the green trail or not though. I've ran the red and orange trails both with out a lift or any sliders and didn't have much trouble at all other then getting high centered. No damage though.

Doug
Valparaiso, IN

4" Frankenlift
black steel wheels
35" AT's
Rubi rails
Rock Hard skids
KC 8" driving lights
Tuffy console insert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode