Installation Shop-N.E. Florida or ??? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 01-24-2011, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Installation Shop-N.E. Florida or ???

Lookin for some feeback please folks.

While I love wrenching on my own rig, I am not qualified (or in possession of the correct tools) to do a R&P change and locker installation, SO....

I'm looking for recommendations of who I should consider for changing out my gears and installing an ARB locker in the rear (and maybe an Aussie or something in the front, we'll see....)

Here in Jacksonville:
  1. I've heard a couple of folks speak well about Melvin & Molly out at Happy Trails 4x4..........
  2. I'm not sure I'm anxious to have 4 Wheel Parts do any work...(unless someone knows better)
  3. I know there's Hedgehog Motorsports over on the Westside, but I dont know of anyone who has used them for anything.....

anyone else locally?

I don't mind "paying for what ya get", solid service and abilities are paramount, but I would like a decent deal.

I'm also not opposed to driving a bit (yup, I know that Anthony @ WS is 3.5 hours from me, that's not out of the question!)

Who have ya'll used and been happy with????? Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-24-2011, 01:54 PM
zjr
JKO Addict!

Garage

I know that WS has done an engine (Joker) and both of our lifts. I am confident in them. I know Melvin and Molly, but not heard of the work they have done before so I can't comment.

That is all the knowledge I have...

01111001011011110111010100100000011011000110111101 11001101110100001000000111010001101000011001010010 000001100111011000010110110101100101

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl View Post
James just came a little early......
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjk08 View Post
...May 2011 bless everyone with pervert wheeling days...
post #3 of 25 Old 01-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Granite Guru

hedgehog went out of business as of monday the 17th. 4wp in jax does good wook. its by the airport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 01-25-2011, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

C'mon.......all you guys living from Orlando through Daytona up to Jax.....and ya got no recommendations or opinions?

Did ya all do your own??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 Old 01-25-2011, 06:22 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to dickyB Send a message via Skype™ to dickyB

For that type of work, you wanna make sure its done right the first time. With the reputation WS has around here, it may be worth the drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I like driving my jeep around while wearing a suit....it says I'm formal, but I'm here to party.
post #6 of 25 Old 01-25-2011, 07:37 AM
Granite Guru

i have never had anything done at WS but i have never heard anything bad about them either. that is normally a good thing.
post #7 of 25 Old 01-25-2011, 07:59 AM

I had my jeep lift kit & r&p done by Melvin at Happytrails 4x4 & am very happy with their work. Melvin installed the 5.13's front & rear for me & everything is working find with the gears & it has been 7 months since the install, he charged me 1300's for the front & rear.
Also I heard that they have a new shop out at the beach now.
post #8 of 25 Old 01-25-2011, 12:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I will be driving over 3 hours to wsoffroad to have them install all of my stuff!!! do it!!!! great place and i hear nothing but good things!

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #9 of 25 Old 01-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Rock God

Check out Brad at Overbuilt Customs on Phillips Hwy across from the Racetrac Gas Station. My buddy owns Aggressive Off-road on 210 and he does great work too!

ROBY

2008 Unlimited Black Sahara AKA Robicon
(O|||||||O)

Lifted with 35" MTR's, Detroit locked with 5.13's, Poison Spyder Front Bumper, Rockhard rear bumper, Rubi Rails, Poison Spyder flares, Rock Krawler front U & LCA's, Ocala Trail Scratches & some other bits and pieces.

God Bless those that keep our Freedom Free!!
John3:16

post #10 of 25 Old 01-26-2011, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLG8TR View Post
Check out Brad at Overbuilt Customs on Phillips Hwy across from the Racetrac Gas Station. My buddy owns Aggressive Off-road on 210 and he does great work too!
I was aware of Overbuilt Customs, but kinda thought they just did the "complete makeover" projects. They screw around with piddly shit like a R&P swap and locker install too?

Aggressive Off-road? Not familiar with them....known 'em for a while?

post #11 of 25 Old 01-26-2011, 06:05 AM
Rock God

Yes Brad at Overbuilt does do "other stuff" than just complete builds. Give him a call or stop by.

Wilson's 4x4 is in Daytona Beach and they do great work too.

Ben

Ben Hedrick
Projects:
2011 6.4L VVT SRT8 HEMI Rubicon

2010 6.1L SRT HEMI JK Unlimited Rubicon
2007 5.7L HEMI JK Unlimited Sahara
2002 4.0L Jeep AEV Brute
2003 6.4L Stroker HEMI Jeep AEV Brute
2005 4.0L Jeep AEV Brute
2014 5.7L HEMI JK Unlimited Rubicon eXpedition Jeep

post #12 of 25 Old 01-26-2011, 06:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hedrick View Post
Yes Brad at Overbuilt does do "other stuff" than just complete builds. Give him a call or stop by.

Wilson's 4x4 is in Daytona Beach and they do great work too.

Ben
Brad contracts out the ring and pinion and locker installs to a small shop here in jacksonville but he would make sure things got done right.
Otherwise Florida Powertrain off beaver st has gotten good reviews from a few people I know in the area.
Even 4 wheel parts up by the airport installed Chunks gears for him and he has been satisfied so far seems like he has had them done for a year or more now.
the 4 wheel parts store always gives me great deals when I need something from them so you might try them first.

post #13 of 25 Old 01-26-2011, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Awesome....thanks for the feedback gents......

If anyone else has opinons/experiences/recommendations, please throw 'em out there....

post #14 of 25 Old 01-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I am not affiliated with WS Offroad at all... but, I have met Anthony, done business with him, and do not hesitate to refer my personal friends to him. He stands behind his work, wheels the hell out of his jeep, and is a great guy to deal with.

Give him a call and talk to him. I live here in Fleming Island (Orange Park) and wouldn't hesitate a second to have him work on my Jeep.

When I do my RK lift, he's the one doing it.

Cheers!

2010 JK Sport: 4.88:1 Yukon Gears, Spartan Lockers, A.C.E. Rock Rails, Gobi Stealth Rack, HELLA FF75 lights, 16x8 ION ALLOY 174 wheels, 315/75/16 Maxxis Bighorn MT's, Smitty XRC front bumper, Smitty XRC8 winch and cover, Smitty roller fairlead license plate holder, Alpine Sound System with JL Audio Sub, 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Bedlined front Grille
post #15 of 25 Old 01-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Wheeler

melvin at happy trails 904-358-7624
post #16 of 25 Old 01-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Granite Guru

4wp in Jax by the airport did my gears about 18,000 miles ago and I have had zero problems. They installed 5.13's did my lift and some other stuff as well. I recommend them and am a satisfied customer. That being said, Brad at Overbuilt Customs will be doing anything else that I need a shop for, on my rig. Good people and small local buisness, which I support.

08 Silver Unlimited
3.5" RE Superflex
35" Pro Comp X Muds
5.13 Superiors
Rampage front
Rancho rear
Tabor 9K
Spidertrax and stockers
Line-x
post #17 of 25 Old 01-26-2011, 07:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Order of preference:

Happy Trails (Atlantic Beach)
Overbuilt (South Jax)
Wilsons 4x4 (Holly Hill)

(4wp is fine in a pinch but I prefer to support local shops. They do MUCH MUCH MUCH more to support the local wheeling community. See what happened to Hedgehog.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #18 of 25 Old 01-27-2011, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Thanks for the feedback!

post #19 of 25 Old 01-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandspur View Post
Brad is way over priced and good luck getting what you need done in a timely manor. If you do plane to have a project done by him be prepared not to see your project for a while. He has one Cj LS3 thats been there for going on 4 yrs. And a Fj45 thats been there for 3yrs. Granted the easy money is in and out. But if you have something you want "RESTORED" your on his time.
Which is Dubie Slow!
?????

I thought you guys were buddies...no??

And the OP wanted to know about getting gears and a locker done, not a restoration.... ??

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #20 of 25 Old 01-27-2011, 06:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Brad is way over priced and good luck getting what you need done in a timely manor. If you do plane to have a project done by him be prepared not to see your project for a while. He has one Cj LS3 thats been there for going on 4 yrs. And a Fj45 thats been there for 3yrs. Granted the easy money is in and out. But if you have something you want "RESTORED" your on his time.
Which is Dubie Slow!
Brad doesn't do gears at his shop but he did my long arm Pro Rock Krawler Triple threat in the exact time he said, did a couple things extra, and than charged me less than he quoted. Even better yet his events he gives free beer at his events not along support all the local shops and events.

post #21 of 25 Old 01-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Rock God

Garage

I've been out of touch for a while so I missed this post.....

I HIGHLY recommend Melvin at Happy Trails. I wouldn't take my rig anywhere else. He and Molly are good folks....

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." --Stephen Wright
post #22 of 25 Old 01-28-2011, 10:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-mitchells View Post
I've been out of touch for a while so I missed this post.....

I HIGHLY recommend Melvin at Happy Trails. I wouldn't take my rig anywhere else. He and Molly are good folks....
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #23 of 25 Old 01-28-2011, 02:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLG8TR View Post
went looking for aggressive a while ago and couldnt find it.

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #24 of 25 Old 01-28-2011, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
I'm thinkin' I'm just gonna not comment on the bong choice.

Yup. Prolly a wise decision on my part cuz I don't know the parties in question.....

post #25 of 25 Old 01-29-2011, 04:15 AM
Rock God

Quote:
now that would make me give up smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukecage View Post
If I hear banjos I'm out! I almost feel like an alien being a black guy in a jeep already, this is gonna be a real adventure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode