Where to live? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 01-24-2011, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Where to live?

I may be getting moved to the Orlando area to help with a large client. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to avoid or where to look? My wife and I have been doing alot of internet shopping for homes and it seems that there are decent house prices in the Saint Cloud area...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I have been known to keep tabs on great looking meat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Looks delicious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-24-2011, 07:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

st cloud is nice.... where is the clent in orlando? and if you are willing to commute Cocoa and Melbourne area is great on the east coast!

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #3 of 19 Old 01-24-2011, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I can't really name the client in public, but think magic castles and big ears.

Quote:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Looks delicious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-24-2011, 07:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

yeah if you were willing to commute i would say brevard county! i live here and it is nice!

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #5 of 19 Old 01-24-2011, 07:42 AM
Granite Guru

I recently moved from South Florida to the Orlando area. I live in Oviedo, which is a small town northeast of the downtown area. My commute to downtown is about 20-30 minutes. The big ear section would be further but I love living in this area. It has a small town feel but close to everything.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-24-2011, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumdrink1 View Post
I recently moved from South Florida to the Orlando area. I live in Oviedo, which is a small town northeast of the downtown area. My commute to downtown is about 20-30 minutes. The big ear section would be further but I love living in this area. It has a small town feel but close to everything.

What are home prices like in your area? What would you expect something around 3000 square foot with a pool to run?

Quote:

Looks delicious.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908_Cubbies View Post
What are home prices like in your area? What would you expect something around 3000 square foot with a pool to run?
I would imagine probally around $250,000. We are renting at this moment. Didn't want to lock down on a area just yet. I've seen some really good deals lately, especially on some banked owned properties.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-24-2011, 09:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

st cloud kissimmee area you can get one for the low to mid 100's!

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #9 of 19 Old 01-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Banned

I would suggest the Davenport/Poinciana area. You are out of the city and in the country. It's on the south side of orlando so you dont have to cross orlando traffic to get to the Rat. From the Poinciana/Davneport area - the trip to the rat is about 30 minutes. If that.

And - this is the best part - you get to live in IMPERIAL POLK COUNTY! You could be trash like the rest of us living in our county. We are the only county in the state where, when someone asks you where you are from, you dont answer w/ your city name, you say: Polk County. And the funny thing is - they know EXACTLY what you're talking about.

Hell, you could even join the largest Jeep Club in the Southeast - it has 3 chapters in 2 states - the Jacked Up Jeep Club .

I imagine you are sold on this now.

But wait - there's more.

Traffic in Kissimmee and St. Cloud SUCKS. Dont be fooled - those towns are actually just part of Orlando. Orlando is SPREAD out. Traffic BLOWS. And it gets even worse when the snowbirds come down (sept-april). Polk County is close enough to the city to enjoy it - but not so close that we swim in their shit. Also, we are located right between Tampa and Orlando on the I4 corridor. That means we have access to the features of both these large cities -without all the headache of actually living in them.

Cool eh?

edit: and you definitely dont want to live in North Orlando. It's nothing to spend an hour driving to south Orlando (the Rat) from north orlando during rush hour traffic.

Last edited by karnuvore; 01-24-2011 at 09:24 AM.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Granite Guru

clermont is nice and close to all the attractions. i looked at a 2700sqft with a pool in a decent neighborhood for 130K. most of the real nice ones are about 175 to 250k. clermont is real quite but has everything in it. east side of town is real busy but has lots of things to do as well. west side definatly less traffic.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Wheeler

Listen to Karnivore. North and East Orlando are nice but driving from there down to the Attractions area in Kissimmee is a nightmare.

And welcome to the F-L-A.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-24-2011, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks guys!

Quote:

Looks delicious.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-24-2011, 11:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Been in Orlando since 1995.

my 2 cents...
Move to the UCF Medical area near Lake Nona (near Orlando International Airport - it's somewhat close to St. Cloud). It's the next big "boom". It's mostly all new and you will see appreciation in homes in that area a lot faster than any other area
post #14 of 19 Old 01-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Wheeler

My parents and i lived in Orlando for 5 years when I was I was in high school and a year after I went to college. We lived in East Orlando in the Waterford Lakes area. The prices have climbed in that area but there's a lot of things to do and trveling to places is quite easy since you're really close to the East/West Expressway, Bee Line, and Greenway. Getting to Disney takes about 30min but its a really nice area that's also close to Cocoa Beach (about 40min away or sooner). Everything in Orlando takes about 30min to get to.

I would avoid West Orlando cause its really crazy with traffic and construction due to having to travel on I4 IMO.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-24-2011, 01:13 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant211 View Post
Been in Orlando since 1995.

my 2 cents...
Move to the UCF Medical area near Lake Nona (near Orlando International Airport - it's somewhat close to St. Cloud). It's the next big "boom". It's mostly all new and you will see appreciation in homes in that area a lot faster than any other area
holy shit grant i can say i agree with you. two words, narcoossee road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukecage View Post
If I hear banjos I'm out! I almost feel like an alien being a black guy in a jeep already, this is gonna be a real adventure
post #16 of 19 Old 01-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Banned

Dont listen to these newbies. My son is 7th generation Floridian. They are trying to make you live in their traffic nightmare to make themselves feel better.

:sdmf:

post #17 of 19 Old 01-24-2011, 04:29 PM
Banned

Just don't move to Pensacola, and you will be fine!
post #18 of 19 Old 01-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccb_dan View Post
Listen to Karnivore. North and East Orlando are nice but driving from there down to the Attractions area in Kissimmee is a nightmare.

And welcome to the F-L-A.
Agreed!! I alway look out my window in downtown at the traffic on I-4. Big Mess. I use the greenway to get home to N Orlando so it's not that bad. If your working for the rat, I would stay south.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Granite Guru

Ocoe or windermire will put you closer to The rat
Traffic is something you will want to look at the new 429 has an exit to the Rat
and I 4 is something to stay away form.. So is 192 St Cloud is nice enough for a Small town good Schools and the Turnpike is a good way to the Rat, 535 is getting busy but still a good was to go. Stony Brook west is a gated sub and not bad..

I worked for the Rat Power Co (Reedy Creek Energy Services) for 13 years
and Rode in From Apopka but that is a real area.

Best of luck
I live I ride I go over shit
Lifted Locked Armored on 37's
Geezer's Tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode