Need help with rocker rail install - Sarasota - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-23-2011, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Need help with rocker rail install - Sarasota

Hi fellow Floridians,

I'm in need of some help. Bought the Smittybilt SRC rocker rails at a very good price, and am having the same install problem others have had...bolts don't align with holes exactly and some grinding is required. I'm not mechanically inclined, don't have the right tools (Dremel or whatever is needed), and could use an assist.

I'll pay $50 and I'll come to you if you're close to the Sarasota area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Rock God

I'm not sure what you need but maybe you can explain further,I will lend a hand for sure.I don't have alot of power tools but maybe could borrow something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherride View Post
for sure... you guys are wound a little tight
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.... remember your supposed to stop the q-tip when theres resistance
post #3 of 6 Old 01-23-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response. Each rocker guard/rail bolts onto two existing screws near the front of the frame and two screws near the back of the frame. Their instructions: Simply take the four nuts off these screws, position the rail so its four holes align with the four screws, replace nuts and tighten. No drilling required.

Unfortunately, the holes in the rail seem to be about 1 cm misaligned so the rail won't position properly on the four screws. Others have posted with the same problem and said they had to do some grinding and/or use a dremel on the rails to widen the misaligned holes just a bit.

I don't have this grinding or dremel capability, nor would I know how to do it without learning through trial and error. The trial part doesn't worry me, the error part does.

Does this make more sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Granite Guru

I would gladly help out, but live all the way up in Brooksville. If you want to come up here let me know. Although it might make more sense to take them to a shop. Probably only charge you 1/2 hour labor. Maybe $30-$40....I would guess.

GO THE EXTRA MILE, IT'S NEVER CROWDED THERE.

/l , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)------)_)
post #5 of 6 Old 01-24-2011, 06:51 AM
Granite Guru

I had issues with installing mine too, I had to use my floor jack to press it in. On the other side I did the same, but one of the bolt holes was off about half an inch so I had to drill it out (make sure you coat the bare metal with cold galv. spray paint). I did mine by myself using jack stands, but if you can get someone to help, do it. Besides all the aggravation installing them I absolutely love them, they can take a beating, then a shot of black spray paint good as new.

2010 Sahara Unlimited & a 1998 TJ - See my You Tube channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mofo65; 01-24-2011 at 11:24 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Wheeler

My buddy has a shop in bradenton and has tools to do it. Not sure what he'd charge to install it but he has reasonable prices...shoot me a pm and ill give you his info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode