31" or 33" tires on stock suspension? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 10-27-2010, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

31" or 33" tires on stock suspension?

So I found two sets of affordable wheels/tires (same price actually) 31" and 33".

I REEEEEAAAALLLLY want the 33's but I need a lift right? or is there anything else I can do to run 33's without it?

I've heard something about pinching seams and/or trimming fenders, but I have no idea what that means/how costly/long-term effects. I'm not completely opposed to a cheaper lift if someone could recommend something, but I've also heard the lift causes the dreaded "deathwobble."

I have to make this decision by tonight/tomorrow morning. So any feedback would be appreciated.

2010 Flame Red JK Sport.
35" ProComp Xtreme All Terrain Radial
17" Black/Red Ballistic Jester Rims
4" Stage I Lift Kit with ES9000 Shocks
Smittybuilt XRC Stubby Stinger Front Bumper
Warn M8000 Winch
Hitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-27-2010, 08:49 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to dickyB Send a message via Skype™ to dickyB

get the 33's and make them work if theyre the same price and such a good deal. you should be able to fit them, but you might not be able to wheel them right away. you might have to take a jig saw to your fenders, you might not. the stock rubicons come with 32's, and you can pick up either rubicon suspension parts or a budget boost on the cheap. I don't think it'll be so tight you cant drive on 33's and stock jk suspension though. you might just have to limit turning some, or do some trimming with a jigsaw or sawzall if you hear rubbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I like driving my jeep around while wearing a suit....it says I'm formal, but I'm here to party.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-27-2010, 08:55 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzero View Post
So I found two sets of affordable wheels/tires (same price actually) 31" and 33".

I REEEEEAAAALLLLY want the 33's but I need a lift right? or is there anything else I can do to run 33's without it?

I've heard something about pinching seams and/or trimming fenders, but I have no idea what that means/how costly/long-term effects. I'm not completely opposed to a cheaper lift if someone could recommend something, but I've also heard the lift causes the dreaded "deathwobble."

I have to make this decision by tonight/tomorrow morning. So any feedback would be appreciated.
I installed 33 BFG All Terrains with a stock X; slight rub on the front sway bar. Since I have installed the Black Diamond budget buster and have no problem at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeep is gone

Last edited by rjmcam; 10-27-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 10-27-2010, 08:57 AM
Rock God

Garage

I've got a nice set of 33's combo wheels and tires I'll sell you. Most 33's aren't a true 33 inch tire either.... Like the other guy said a budget boost is an inexpensive way to get some space between the tire and fender or do light trimming...

Last edited by Pharmguy75; 10-27-2010 at 09:18 AM.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Get the 33's and throw on a $120 Teraflex Leveling Kit and Spidertrax spacers. Or, if you don't want to use the wheel spacers, then just adjust your steering stops.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Granite Guru

When I bought my JK X it was all stock except for the 33' tires. It worked fine most of the time but when wheeling there was some rub, knocked fender clips off etc. Eventually lift and it'll all be good
post #7 of 18 Old 10-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
Get the 33's and throw on a $120 Teraflex Leveling Kit and Spidertrax spacers. Or, if you don't want to use the wheel spacers, then just adjust your steering stops.
Look at you all taking the JK-tech by the Rhinosaur horn! And of course you mean 33.5's right?
post #8 of 18 Old 10-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:

33s will be fine so buy mine!!
Here's the link: https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39144

07 JKU Rescue Green with 3.5" RK Mid-Arm Flex w/ Bilstein 5100s, 5.13's, Eaton E-Locker, 35" MT Baja ATZ, 17" DC Torque wheels, Monstalined tub, Home-made front bumper with Smittybilt XRC-8 winch, Wild Boar rack w/ IPF 968 lights, K&N Intake, Gibson Exhaust.
Future Mods: 2wd-4wd conversion = completed!
post #9 of 18 Old 10-27-2010, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ha! Nice plug @Jeeper! But the price of these is SIGNIFICANTLY lower... wheels aren't as badass, but I'll get to that.

Thanks all for the responses... You guys are really helpin' a newbie out! At least I know my options now. I just talked to the guy at the local 4wd store and he said I wouldn't need anything... MAYBE to have the fenders trimmed, but he seems to believe that its all good... SO worst case scenario I'm gonna get 'em and deal with any problems as they come up.

Hopefully I'll post pics this weekend! (I am considering painting the wheels black, too... stay tuned for next post about that. lol) Thanks again!

2010 Flame Red JK Sport.
Warn M8000 Winch
Hitch
post #10 of 18 Old 10-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Ha! Nice plug @Jeeper! But the price of these is SIGNIFICANTLY lower... wheels aren't as badass, but I'll get to that.

Thanks all for the responses... You guys are really helpin' a newbie out! At least I know my options now. I just talked to the guy at the local 4wd store and he said I wouldn't need anything... MAYBE to have the fenders trimmed, but he seems to believe that its all good... SO worst case scenario I'm gonna get 'em and deal with any problems as they come up.

Hopefully I'll post pics this weekend! (I am considering painting the wheels black, too... stay tuned for next post about that. lol) Thanks again!
glad to hear its working out. make sure you do some research before you paint them to help make sure the paint lasts. clean it, scuff it, xylene and dry and you should be ready to paint. just dont paint them while still ON the jeep, haha

Quote:
I like driving my jeep around while wearing a suit....it says I'm formal, but I'm here to party.
post #11 of 18 Old 10-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoCk-NeSs MoNsTeR View Post
Look at you all taking the JK-tech by the Rhinosaur horn! And of course you mean 33.5's right?
Whoa whoa whoa...let's not get crazy here. Not everyone can handle the extreme-ness that the 33.5" tire is!
post #12 of 18 Old 10-28-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well... unfortunately, the seller sold before I could get a chance to meet because of schedule conflicts... so I'm back to square 1.
But I'm on every craigslist city from the Keys to Savannah looking for something else... so hopefully something pops up soon. Wish me luck.

I've decided to skip the wheel painting for now, and instead decided to duricolor coat the grille this weekend instead. (And maybe the door hinges if I'm feeling cocky.) Read a bunch of board "how-to's" and doesn't seem beyond my doing... so I'm in.

P.S. skipping painting the rims for now because I'm saving for these:
http://shop.vendio.com/crowderscusto.../?s=1288252562
(insert drool marks here)

2010 Flame Red JK Sport.
Warn M8000 Winch
Hitch
post #13 of 18 Old 10-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
Whoa whoa whoa...let's not get crazy here. Not everyone can handle the extreme-ness that the 33.5" tire is!
Merlin EXTREME!!!!! I think you should do the TF 4 and go 40s
post #14 of 18 Old 10-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Rock God

Garage

there's two links offered in this thread for 33's. try crazedlist.org is good for multiple area craigslist searching if you dont already have something like that

Quote:
post #15 of 18 Old 10-28-2010, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickyB View Post
there's two links offered in this thread for 33's. try crazedlist.org is good for multiple area craigslist searching if you dont already have something like that
Awesome link, man! Thanks a ton!

2010 Flame Red JK Sport.
Warn M8000 Winch
Hitch
post #16 of 18 Old 10-28-2010, 08:46 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Well... unfortunately, the seller sold before I could get a chance to meet because of schedule conflicts... so I'm back to square 1.
But I'm on every craigslist city from the Keys to Savannah looking for something else... so hopefully something pops up soon. Wish me luck.

I've decided to skip the wheel painting for now, and instead decided to duricolor coat the grille this weekend instead. (And maybe the door hinges if I'm feeling cocky.) Read a bunch of board "how-to's" and doesn't seem beyond my doing... so I'm in.

P.S. skipping painting the rims for now because I'm saving for these:
http://shop.vendio.com/crowderscusto.../?s=1288252562
(insert drool marks here)
Dude. Those look just like mine, but with a little less black. DC Torque wheels. You know you want my wheels

07 JKU Rescue Green with 3.5" RK Mid-Arm Flex w/ Bilstein 5100s, 5.13's, Eaton E-Locker, 35" MT Baja ATZ, 17" DC Torque wheels, Monstalined tub, Home-made front bumper with Smittybilt XRC-8 winch, Wild Boar rack w/ IPF 968 lights, K&N Intake, Gibson Exhaust.
Future Mods: 2wd-4wd conversion = completed!
post #17 of 18 Old 10-28-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepRcreepR View Post
Dude. Those look just like mine, but with a little less black. DC Torque wheels. You know you want my wheels
If I had $1600 in available cash, I probably would. If you decide to drop the price in the near future and I haven't shelled out what I do have... drop me a line. They are some sweet wheels.

2010 Flame Red JK Sport.
Warn M8000 Winch
Hitch
post #18 of 18 Old 10-29-2010, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Just an FYI... Found some BRAND new Rubi take off's... 255/75R17 BFG MTs in Jacksonville... going to pick up tomorrow AM... Pics to come.

2010 Flame Red JK Sport.
Warn M8000 Winch
Hitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode