need opinions floridians - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-24-2010, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

need opinions floridians

hey guys,

i currently live in louisville KY and have a job opportunity in fort lauderdale which will pay more than double my current pay. whole family is louisville (im 24), but its hard to turn down the pay increase. what i wanted to know was where in fort lauderdale would be a good place to live, what are your opinions of south florida (Ft lauderdale specifically), and any other words of wisdom.

any and everything is greatly appreciated.

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-24-2010, 07:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Your young I say get out and have an adventure! Your family will still love you especially if you buy them a web cam and show them how to skype.
If you are unattached FL is a great place to live but it is also just fun because the beaches are nice, the weather is acceptable but often to hot during may-oct. on the bright side that keeps the women from wearing lots of clothing and you would have more opportunity to drive naked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 Old 10-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Granite Guru

near the fort lauderdale area , i've always enjoyed hollywood.

the increase in pay will be nice, but make sure you factor in cost of living. i don't know how expensive your current area is... but this is a neat tool.

it lets you compare your old city and new:

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/default.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-24-2010, 09:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

will the family be moving too? ive never ben that way so idk
but the clothes things so true its awesome

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #5 of 12 Old 10-25-2010, 07:05 AM
Wheeler

South FL is a culture shock for sure. It's very crowded and very expensive so be sure and factor that in when making your decision.

That said, FL in general is awesome, weather is great, beaches are fantastic and lots of trails and mud!
post #6 of 12 Old 10-25-2010, 12:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Moving from Nashville Tennessee to Florida back in 06 I moved for the same reasons. Same company better opportunity. Hated the Winters, couldnt take it anymore. Left all my family behind and left for Florida. Its what you make of it. Florida is a melting pot of culture. Crime is higher, cost of living is higher, road rage will set in on you eventually but beautiful? Nothing is better than Winter in Florida. It beats the hell out of the snow, ice and cold. When your calling your family in January and its snowing there and your walking around in shorts, tshirts and flip flops in mid to upper 70's nothing is better. Summer is hot but the chicks are hotter. Love bugs suck and so does the every day rain if you keep your junk outside. Going topless? Totally opposite than what you are use to. Topless summers in Louisville will turn into topless Winter in Florida. Dry season is your friend. So are the toll roads. You wont go back home as often as you are planning right now so dont use that as a selling point to your family. It just wont happen. Download Southwest Ding and fly back when you can. Otherwise its been interesting living here. Ive met some cool people that I otherwise wouldnt have. Hitmoney and the guys down on that end can show you the ropes. Good luck...
post #7 of 12 Old 10-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Garage

Don't do it...

Thats all I got.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #8 of 12 Old 10-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Wheeler

I'm 31 and I moved here 10 years ago, almost to the day, by myself with my family 1000 miles away... and I've never regretted for a single second. The weather is always summer/spring, the women are gorgeous, cultural diversity at every turn, tons of beaches, bars on every corner, golf course on every other corner... there's a lot of fake/materialistic/douchebaggy people, but if you're selective, you can find some great ones, too.

I say go for it... worse case scenario, its not like you don't have a home to go back to.

2010 Flame Red JK Sport.
35" ProComp Xtreme All Terrain Radial
17" Black/Red Ballistic Jester Rims
4" Stage I Lift Kit with ES9000 Shocks
Smittybuilt XRC Stubby Stinger Front Bumper
Warn M8000 Winch
Hitch
post #9 of 12 Old 10-25-2010, 08:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
Don't do it...

Thats all I got.
Word, we got enough transplants. Stay your ass up north & just come & give us your vacation money then go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccb_dan View Post
South FL is a culture shock for sure. It's very crowded and very expensive so be sure and factor that in when making your decision.

That said, FL in general is awesome, weather is great, beaches are fantastic and lots of trails and mud!
BTW... ccb_Dan, I gotta find out about some of these trails and mud you speak of... I'm only on day 4 of JK ownership, but I'm already jonesin' for it. Let me know some good local spots and/or if you're heading out next if I can tag along!

2010 Flame Red JK Sport.
35" ProComp Xtreme All Terrain Radial
17" Black/Red Ballistic Jester Rims
4" Stage I Lift Kit with ES9000 Shocks
Smittybuilt XRC Stubby Stinger Front Bumper
Warn M8000 Winch
Hitch
post #11 of 12 Old 10-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Granite Guru

Do it

Been in south Florida for about a month working on a pipeline project. It's a zoo but I wish I had more time to explore and mingle. I'd say go for it and make sure you put a louder horn on your JK.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Rock God

Garage

Your still so freakin young, take the leap and enjoy the adventure. South Florida is what you make of it. There are so many cultures and so many events going on at the same time, that you can always find something to do.

My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to 99˘ a can. That's almost $7.00 in dog money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode