Ever been to a shuttle landing? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-20-2009, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ever been to a shuttle landing?

I've been to many launches but never a landing, is it worth driving up, if so any good spots you can tell me about?

I know you don't get to see much but I think the sonic boom would be real cool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Rock God

never been, but experienced many a sonic boom, and I live nowhere near the landing site.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

The only shuttle launch I went to, it exploded. So I've sort of given up on the idea of going to any more shuttle events, including landings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-20-2009, 02:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
The only shuttle launch I went to, it exploded. So I've sort of given up on the idea of going to any more shuttle events, including landings.
thats probably a good idea.

the above is most likely irrelevant.
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, abendx is my hero, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK, JKO
post #5 of 10 Old 11-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Wolfe View Post
I've been to many launches but never a landing, is it worth driving up, if so any good spots you can tell me about?

I think someone here works at a base where they land . . . the one on the west coast though
post #6 of 10 Old 11-20-2009, 04:45 PM
JKO Addict!

You cant really get close enough to see it land. You can see it coming in though. See the bottom.

Florida Off-site Viewing Locations The following are some of the most popular off-site locations for viewing launches from NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida:

•Along the Indian River on U.S. Highway 1, especially in Titusville.

•The Beach Line Expressway, also called State Road 528. The portions of the Beach Line crossing over the Indian River (the Bennett Causeway) and the Banana River are good vantage points.

•Off State Road A1A along the Atlantic Ocean in Cocoa Beach.

•Jetty Park (321) 783-7111 at Port Canaveral, on the Atlantic Ocean just south of the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station border. Both Space Shuttle and expendable launch vehicle liftoffs can be viewed from here. The park is open all day year-round.
+ Park fees and information

Boaters viewing launches should tune to Channel 16 VHF-FM for instructions from the Coast Guard pertaining to restricted areas. The Coast Guard will patrol those areas in the rivers and offshore in the Atlantic Ocean. Boaters will not be permitted north of marker 15 on the Banana River (where the high wires cross the river). Boaters may not enter the southern part of Mosquito Lagoon (past the Haulover Canal). However, the Canal, part of the Intracoastal Waterway, will remain open to traffic. Boaters may not set foot on any land that is part of the Kennedy Space Center or the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.

Although not an official source of NASA information, the Launch Information Service and Amateur Television System (LISATS) retransmits both NASA audio and video signals for shuttle launches and landings. Audio transmissions are at 146.94 MHz and video is transmitted on amateur television at 421.75 MHz. LISATS transmissions may be somewhat sporadic, but generally begin about three hours before liftoff and continue through landing. These are not official NASA transmissions and are not subject to NASA oversight or quality standards. NASA does not endorse or otherwise sponsor or support the LISATS and/or its retransmission efforts.

NASA audio is also available via Ham radio on UHF at 442.6 MHz. Local radio station WMMB provides launch coverage on AM 1240 and AM 1350.

Landing

No car passes or bus tickets are available for viewing space shuttle landings. Due to cloud cover in the area, shuttle landings are frequently more difficult to see than launches. In addition, there is no on-site viewing area large enough to accommodate the general public. However, any of the off-site viewing locations mentioned above can also be used to see a shuttle landing.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-20-2009, 05:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

we went to see one of the shuttle take off and we were told jetty park we got there the night be fore to check it out and they said unless you have camping gear or sleeping in the car this place will be filled with over 1k ppl and you wont be able to get in

we got a hotel woke up at 5am it was scrubbed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #8 of 10 Old 12-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Wolfe View Post

If I would go to watch a landing at the Cape- there would be a cloud and they would land in Texas

Jeep is gone
post #9 of 10 Old 12-04-2009, 04:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker

It stops in El Paso on occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
post #10 of 10 Old 12-07-2009, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Wow, very cool pic, is that you, if so, what is your job there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode