Am I wasting my money using Mobil 1 ? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 11-05-2009, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Am I wasting my money using Mobil 1 ?

I have a lifetime warranty so why bother using the more expensive stuff.

What do you think?

I always used M1 in my 93' Wrangler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 11-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Wolfe View Post
I have a lifetime warranty so why bother using the more expensive stuff.

What do you think?

I always used M1 in my 93' Wrangler.
Use what you trust.

Mobile 1 goes in every crankcase I own.

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube Channel
post #3 of 29 Old 11-05-2009, 02:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
Use what you trust.

i'm with HITMONEY on this. but actually the Jeep is the first new vehicle i've ever owned and i just let the dealership take care of it. i have the platinum service group so i don't worry about anything and there isn't any expense on my side.

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 11-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Rock God

Nobody knows yet what the 5 year manditory inspection for the lifetime warranty entails. Jeep may find a simple way to void every modified jeep from the lifetime warranty. I would take good care of it.

post #5 of 29 Old 11-05-2009, 02:33 PM
JKO Addict!

nuttin but mobile 1 since day one

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #6 of 29 Old 11-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Rock God

Mobil 1 for me... whatever the oil change place uses is fine by me. I just make sure to change it every 3,000 miles.
post #7 of 29 Old 11-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Granite Guru

mobil 1 is in mine right now, same as the rest of my cars. I ran valvoline for the first 12,000 miles for break in.

As far as the warranty goes... Chrysler, or whoever owns jeep when your engine finally craps, may not exist or even honor your warranty 30 years down the road. I say play the safe side. A refill w/mobil1 costs about the same as a regular oil change if you do the work yourself. Why cheat your prized jeep out of the good stuff to save a couple of measly dollars???
post #8 of 29 Old 11-05-2009, 02:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
Nobody knows yet what the 5 year manditory inspection for the lifetime warranty entails. Jeep may find a simple way to void every modified jeep from the lifetime warranty. I would take good care of it.
Yeah this. I was very surprised to have an axle seal replaced at 40k under the lifetime powertrain warranty. But I have no illusions about getting a new engine when this one wears out.....normal wear and all that jazz. So I'll take care of it best as I can and won't let the warranty be the deciding factor.

So far I have mostly run Castrol Synthetic Blend and at two years and 56k miles all is well. But I am considering Mobil1 full time.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #9 of 29 Old 11-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Rock God

i run what ever is on sale at the local auto parts store. usually $12 to $15 for 5 qts and a filter and yes i buy an additional qt. i have been changing the fluids about every 2500 miles to make sure the dust, mud and water i play in hasn't contaminated the oil. on the last oil change i added a bottle of stp oil treatment. my jeep has 5000 miles now and ive been through 2 engine oil changes. 3 differential oil changes. and 2 tranny and transfer case oil changes. cheep insurance to make sure no water is in there. hey it works for me.
post #10 of 29 Old 11-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Rock God

Garage

I run Mobile 1 in my diffs, I figure as rarely as I've had to change diff juice (once, and then only cuz I put on Riddlers) the extra cost is negligible. As far as motor oil I don't really see the benefit of synthetic vs. dino in my aplication. I change the oil regularly enough that extended life doesn't matter, and I have no performance mods beyond a CAI that would work the engine outside of it's normal specs, so the extra money seems a waste. Seems to me that when you start adding performance mods the need for better oil would be there.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." --Stephen Wright
post #11 of 29 Old 11-05-2009, 06:02 PM
JKO Addict!

I just switched from Castrol GTX to Mobil 1. Gonna stick with Mobil 1.

For what it's worth - the lifetime warranty only covers the block. The top end is on you after 36k.
post #12 of 29 Old 11-05-2009, 06:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i use the yellow bottle i believe its Pennzoil i think its 25 bucks with the upgraded filter every time my change oil thing goes off

its too far for me to drive to starke to get my oil changed

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #13 of 29 Old 11-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverzendz View Post

For what it's worth - the lifetime warranty only covers the block. The top end is on you after 36k.
How do you figure that?

Where is it in writing that the top of a motor is not part of the drive train?

post #14 of 29 Old 11-05-2009, 06:21 PM
JKO Addict!

I've never used synthetic oils and don't plan on it. I just stick with the same brand oil (mopar) and change it every 3K-4K miles.

I haven't owned that many cars (92 transam, 98 Ram, 04 Ram, and this heep) all were new and none of them had more than 75,000 miles on them before i traded them. To date, never had a problem. I can't even think of an issue growing up with my parents vehicles either.

Last edited by Grant211; 11-05-2009 at 06:23 PM.
post #15 of 29 Old 11-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Rock God

Synthetics become more important on turbo charged high performance engines where you have impellers spinning at extremely high RPM.

post #16 of 29 Old 11-05-2009, 06:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
How do you figure that?

Where is it in writing that the top of a motor is not part of the drive train?
It's right here.

http://www.jeep.com/en/lifetime_powertrain_warranty/

Quote:
The cylinder block and internal parts of gasoline engines are covered for life.
post #17 of 29 Old 11-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Granite Guru

anybody that tows a vehicle, drives more than 50 miles a day, operate in extreme temps, or does any regular off roading should seriously consider mobil1.
post #18 of 29 Old 11-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverzendz View Post
....and valves would be "internal parts". Nowhere in the warranty does it exclude the cyl heads as you mentioned earlier.

post #19 of 29 Old 11-05-2009, 07:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
....and valves would be "internal parts". Nowhere in the warranty does it exclude the cyl heads as you mentioned earlier.
Nowhere in the warranty does it include cylinder heads. It specifically calls out block and internal parts (crankshaft, pistons, bearings, etc.) but neglects to mention any part of the top end.

I get what your saying and tend to agree but it's not a debate that I want to have with Chrysler. Block means block. Not heads or intake manifold.
post #20 of 29 Old 11-05-2009, 07:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Keep buying the Mobil1 it helps my stock!

It's good stuff too.
post #21 of 29 Old 11-05-2009, 07:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Misleading info on the link I posted earlier!
post #22 of 29 Old 11-05-2009, 08:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
Use what you trust.

Mobile 1 always in every car I have owned over the past 6 years
If you saw how bad I trashed my Jeep Grand Cher. with 238,000 only using Mobile one and never a problem and the engine was still running almost like brand new.

Now after almost 3 year of owning my JK and 68,000 miles and oil changed right away and then every 4000 miles my engine though very dirty from mud, clay, and sand or whatever was on the last trail I was on the engine still runs perfect.

I have an autozone card and for every 2 oil changes I get one free so basicly buy 12qu of oil and a filter get 6qu & filter for free. This really brings the cost down and then add that to whatever other special they have going on (last time it was buy 4qu get 2 qu free) and the cost really is not that much different.

post #23 of 29 Old 11-06-2009, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ok, I'm sticking with the Mobil 1, I had already bought but was just thinking...
all of you have re-convinced me. thanks
post #24 of 29 Old 11-06-2009, 07:55 AM
JKO Addict!

lifetime warranty is ALWAYS open to dealer interpretation.... especially with Obama in office

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #25 of 29 Old 11-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Granite Guru

Amsoil on the engine, T/C and diffs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode