clink clank clunk NO MORE!! stock drive shaft TOAST! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 10-02-2009, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.
clink clank clunk NO MORE!! stock drive shaft TOAST!

So most of you got to hear my nice clink clank clunk sounds coming from my rig in 4low on the Citrus run and for those of you who missed it, well you got to hear it at the Orlando Jeep Clubs American Cancer Relay event.

Well most of us had diagnosed the problem to be the front drive shaft. I didn't want to bother my dealer with this since it was such an easy swap and if that wasn't the case I would then get them involved.

Thanks to karn for selling me his stock front drive shaft! I have been putting it off waiting on the weather to cool down and decided to head to a buddies house for an attempt. On my way I stopped at Publix and as I parked I could here the clunk lightly. When I got back into the Jeep and started to take off it got louder. And this is in 2 wheel which only meant one thing... the drive shaft swap was happening TONIGHT! I along with some help from a buddy of mine (some of you know him... Pete) got under the belly of the beast and swapped out the old with the used with a couple quick phone calls to RJMCAM and TKOB about them stubborn little sticks.

The drive shaft was INDEED the culprit here. Took the beast out for a spin afterwards, got it up to 60 and rode steady for about a couple miles with not a sound. Stopped off in a field to drop it down in 4low and NOT A SOUND!! FIXED!! She's silent and deadly and ready for the courses at Jeeptoberfest

Here's the old drive shaft in all its glory. Lasted me 6months with the 6" lift. I will run these current stockies for a little while and hope to upgrade by the new year.

The boot on the transfer case side had torn and shredded leaving a nice mess to wrench with...

(please excuse the iphone pics)

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by .:eMETAL:.; 10-02-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 10-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Rock God

gotta love a bud who can fix the jeep on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukecage View Post
If I hear banjos I'm out! I almost feel like an alien being a black guy in a jeep already, this is gonna be a real adventure
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 Old 10-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Rock God

YAY!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 10-02-2009, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba2u View Post
gotta love a bud who can fix the jeep on the spot.
He has always been down to lend a hand. I return the favors with helping wrench on his dirt bike. We both kinda just went at it with the mindset "eh can't be that tough". LOL. Wasn't hard but took some muscle to yank it out. Tell me that ain't sig worthy.

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

post #5 of 30 Old 10-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Granite Guru

Way to go E... Now you will be able to sneak up on the mud....
post #6 of 30 Old 10-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Banned

Glad that fixed your problem! Oh and thanks for the Jerry Cans.

post #7 of 30 Old 10-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Rock God

Glad you cured what ailed ya!

Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
post #8 of 30 Old 10-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Wheeler

Glad you got it worked out!
post #9 of 30 Old 10-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Rock God

My front shaft looked EXACTLY like that when I pulled it out cuz it was making the same clink clank clunk sound in 4wd.

Imagine that?

Mine came out in pieces.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

By the way I kept the ball bearings to drop out my window when I get tailgated!

Last edited by CLACKEY(_!_); 10-02-2009 at 11:03 PM.
post #10 of 30 Old 10-03-2009, 06:29 AM
Granite Guru

Good job E. Glad it was only the shaft. I was a little worried in Citrus that it might be the T-case. I'll call ya when mine starts creaking.

08 Silver Unlimited
3.5" RE Superflex
35" Pro Comp X Muds
5.13 Superiors
Rampage front
Rancho rear
Tabor 9K
Spidertrax and stockers
Line-x
post #11 of 30 Old 10-03-2009, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
Glad that fixed your problem! Oh and thanks for the Jerry Cans.
pleasure doing business with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLACKEY(_!_) View Post
My front shaft looked EXACTLY like that when I pulled it out cuz it was making the same clink clank clunk sound in 4wd.

Imagine that?

Mine came out in pieces.

By the way I kept the ball bearings to drop out my window when I get tailgated!
yup same thing... if you put these next to each other you couldn't tell them apart.
LOL @ keeping the ball bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunks View Post
Good job E. Glad it was only the shaft. I was a little worried in Citrus that it might be the T-case. I'll call ya when mine starts creaking.
no problem
the two calls that were made were for 2 things i was stumped on...

1. which side to take off first (decided to do both at the same time... i took the transfer case side and my buddy took the axle side) but FYI if you take the axle side out first and yank it out of position it will spin freely and you can get to all the bolts on the transfer case side easier. or you can raise the front end up and spin the tires. (since i didn't have a floor jack i ended up removing 2 bolts at a time and then rolling the JK back a bit and so on and so on.) 30-45min TOPS project.
2. how the hell to get it out after the bolts were out. took a forceful yank by yours truly and the front dropped right out and then pried the transfer case side with a beefy flat head screw driver.

Last edited by .:eMETAL:.; 10-03-2009 at 11:19 AM.
post #12 of 30 Old 10-04-2009, 12:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Cmon E... jeeps are nothing... try a caddy srx front shaft. At least you can sit up under your jeep

Least it was an easy fix... then again it DID take 2 of you

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

post #13 of 30 Old 10-04-2009, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ockgator View Post
Cmon E... jeeps are nothing... try a caddy srx front shaft. At least you can sit up under your jeep

Least it was an easy fix... then again it DID take 2 of you
didn't have to take two of us. but why let a buddy stand if he's willing to turn a wrench.

and i can't sit up under there but it was nice to have more room than usual... but what am i talking about... my truck is huge too! LOL! lifted vehicles are nice to work on. my 1990 Nissan 300zx on the other hand was a B!TCH!!! you couldn't fit your hands anywhere in that engine compartment.

post #14 of 30 Old 10-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:. View Post
didn't have to take two of us. but why let a buddy stand if he's willing to turn a wrench.

and i can't sit up under there but it was nice to have more room than usual... but what am i talking about... my truck is huge too! LOL! lifted vehicles are nice to work on. my 1990 Nissan 300zx on the other hand was a B!TCH!!! you couldn't fit your hands anywhere in that engine compartment.
I know that feeling my room mate has a 91 and you can not even stick you head under there to even look at anything and barely get the jack under it. I think when you get a jk on 37 and up you get to the point yeah you have room but its where you can not lay down and do something nor sit up and do it either you are stuck in the middle of doing ab crunches lol
post #15 of 30 Old 10-04-2009, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddpuppy01 View Post
I know that feeling my room mate has a 91 and you can not even stick you head under there to even look at anything and barely get the jack under it. I think when you get a jk on 37 and up you get to the point yeah you have room but its where you can not lay down and do something nor sit up and do it either you are stuck in the middle of doing ab crunches lol
exactly! you i can only get your fingers down by the headers. and i had a full engine swap done when i owned that thing. the garage took on way more than he thought LOL! but got it done and had some knowledge under his belt when finished.

as for the ab crunches... i'm just glad i have long arms being a big guy and all.

is your room mates Z a 2+2 or just a 2 seater? i have full custom (never installed) replacement seat covers for a 2+2. and by full i mean you have to take off the old fabric and put on the new. they are black with tan through the center, leather. if he's interested. or if he has only a 2 seater he could pick em up and sell the rear bench fabric.

Last edited by .:eMETAL:.; 10-04-2009 at 01:35 PM.
post #16 of 30 Old 10-04-2009, 03:44 PM
JKO Addict!

My advantage lies in the fact I'm only 5-6 or so... I can sit up under E's jeep, I even sit upright under my K2500HD and it only has 4" lift and 35's

Anyhew good fer E... I wussed out and bought an el cheapo lift fer my jeep, a 2.5" hockey puck set-up... it'll work till I decide to shell out the big bucks for a long arm system, F&R driveshafts and real axles(currie 60's)

Thinking about an LS small block chevy, Hemi's are OK but the LS has alum block and heads, and I'm a Chevy nut.... hmmm LS7 has dry sump oiling... it'll run sideways and upside down(to a point).. PERFECT for a Jeep

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

Last edited by ockgator; 10-04-2009 at 03:49 PM.
post #17 of 30 Old 10-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Rock God

Why do I feel like I'm next on this list?

Buy *made in
. . .. While you still can.
post #18 of 30 Old 10-04-2009, 03:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Told ya it was the drive shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #19 of 30 Old 10-04-2009, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOLsAK3 View Post
Why do I feel like I'm next on this list?
you have been hit with the high altitude bug but it didn't happend until i really started wheelin the rig harder. there's been some that have gotten 15-20k on theirs. just depends how crazy you decide to wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
Told ya it was the drive shaft
yup. good call

post #20 of 30 Old 10-04-2009, 09:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Hey E glad you got it changed, I was driving up to PA when you called and couldnt hear to good, hope I was some help lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #21 of 30 Old 10-04-2009, 09:21 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

did you get any squealing from it before hand? My front drive shaft looks like it has a pretty stiff angle on it with the Teraflex 3" lift and have a light squealing noise I keep hearing. Usually whenever I am shifting gears.

U.S. Army
post #22 of 30 Old 10-04-2009, 09:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXROCK View Post
did you get any squealing from it before hand? My front drive shaft looks like it has a pretty stiff angle on it with the Teraflex 3" lift and have a light squealing noise I keep hearing. Usually whenever I am shifting gears.
thats more likely your throwout bearing not your driveshaft....stock driveshaft makes a ratcheting sound when its bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #23 of 30 Old 10-05-2009, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
Hey E glad you got it changed, I was driving up to PA when you called and couldnt hear to good, hope I was some help lol.
yeah heard you loud and clear... i just didn't have a big flat head screw driver to pry out the transfercase side or the axle side... i ended up layin under the rig and grabbing on to the drive shaft and with one big yank the axle side fell out. then had to use some tugging and a pair of scissors to pry out the transfer case side (i was this far and it was now dark out... i wasn't about to turn around LOL)

Quote:
Quote:
thats more likely your throwout bearing not your driveshaft....stock driveshaft makes a ratcheting sound when its bad
exactly. your squeling should disappear with a light touch to the clutch correct? i have that too. and this would be the second throw out bearing
didn't notice anything from the front driveshaft in 2wd at first... only in 4... and especially low. it was a ratcheting clunk sound. another way to discribe it is that is sounded like a control arm was loose and was banging around in it's mount. i drove since June with it bad in 2wd and just recently di i start hearing it in 2wd when i first started moving.

post #24 of 30 Old 10-05-2009, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
yeah heard you loud and clear... i just didn't have a big flat head screw driver to pry out the transfercase side or the axle side... i ended up layin under the rig and grabbing on to the drive shaft and with one big yank the axle side fell out. then had to use some tugging and a pair of scissors to pry out the transfer case side (i was this far and it was now dark out... i wasn't about to turn around LOL)

Quote:
Quote:
exactly. your squeling should disappear with a light touch to the clutch correct? i have that too. and this would be the second throw out bearing
didn't notice anything from the front driveshaft in 2wd at first... only in 4... and especially low. it was a ratcheting clunk sound. another way to discribe it is that is sounded like a control arm was loose and was banging around in it's mount. i drove since June with it bad in 2wd and just recently di i start hearing it in 2wd when i first started moving.

post #25 of 30 Old 10-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:. View Post
i drove since June with it bad in 2wd and just recently di i start hearing it in 2wd when i first started moving.
I got that noise goin on too, except I'm still sitting on stock suspension. I think I'm gonna take it to the stealership and get the DS replaced before I throw this Teraflex under it.

08 JKU X - Flame Red w/ a few Doo Dads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode