Florida Door Laws - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 09-05-2009, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Florida Door Laws

Hey yall,
Just making sure 1st it's legal to go doorless on the road? and 2nd do we need to mount some sort of rear view mirrors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 09-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Banned

fl dont give a damn. take your doors off.

post #3 of 37 Old 09-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Wheeler

If I remember correctly, Florida mirror law requires (1) rear viewing mirror that can show visibility up to 200 ft. I don't think any state says it's illegal to not have doors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 09-05-2009, 09:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanWitScissorz View Post
If I remember correctly, Florida mirror law requires (1) rear viewing mirror that can show visibility up to 200 ft.
and we figured that out to be the rear view mirror. some like the added benefit of the sides too.

you're good to go klutz

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 37 Old 09-05-2009, 09:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i was thinking bout taking my doors off on monday but i was wondering if u can take the stock mirrors off the doors and put them in the hinge hole or sumthin so i can have side views?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #6 of 37 Old 09-05-2009, 09:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
i was thinking bout taking my doors off on monday but i was wondering if u can take the stock mirrors off the doors and put them in the hinge hole or sumthin so i can have side views?
not unless you have this....
http://www.dietechoffroad.com/produc...rorbracket.htm

and even if you do they are too much of a beotch to take off and put on, rinse and repeat.

you're better off having two sets of mirrors for this application. so you might as well go the harley mirror mod.

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

post #7 of 37 Old 09-05-2009, 09:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

aww thats gay ud think they would come right out so u wouldnt have to buy other mirrors

how much are the harley mirrors or sumthin like them ?

i prolly cant take my doors off then until i get some sort of relo bracket
we might have to take the top off

ohhhh darn

post #8 of 37 Old 09-05-2009, 09:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
aww thats gay ud think they would come right out so u wouldnt have to buy other mirrors

how much are the harley mirrors or sumthin like them ?

i prolly cant take my doors off then until i get some sort of relo bracket
we might have to take the top off

ohhhh darn

yes you can.. your rearview mirror counts. unless you're saying you yourself need one before you do it.

post #9 of 37 Old 09-05-2009, 10:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:. View Post
yes you can.. your rearview mirror counts. unless you're saying you yourself need one before you do it.
yea my mom is the one that prolyl wouldnt let me cuz she prolly wants me to have mirrors but i guess i could just look out the door lol

post #10 of 37 Old 09-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Rock God

you are only required to have side mirriors if its on your driver liecense besides that just one mirrior is all that is required but you can run doorless with the windshield down and only have a pair of sunglasses on and most would leave you alone
post #11 of 37 Old 09-05-2009, 11:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You can pick up a good lookin harley mirror for about $30 at the shop over off 16 & 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #12 of 37 Old 09-05-2009, 11:47 AM
zjr
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddpuppy01 View Post
you are only required to have side mirriors if its on your driver liecense besides that just one mirrior is all that is required but you can run doorless with the windshield down and only have a pair of sunglasses on and most would leave you alone
Yeah, but unfortunately, if the a$$ that stopped me was behind you, you'd get a ticket. Not for the doors, but for the windshield... The law was changed earlier this year (or at the end of last year) and it now includes the term "windshield must be intact AND UPRIGHT".
Stupid FVCKING lawyers and cops.

Not you chunks (or anyone else on here that I don't know that is one of these).

01111001011011110111010100100000011011000110111101 11001101110100001000000111010001101000011001010010 000001100111011000010110110101100101

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl View Post
James just came a little early......
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjk08 View Post
...May 2011 bless everyone with pervert wheeling days...
post #13 of 37 Old 09-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Banned

I dont recommend running w/ no side mirrors. It's dangerous.

You can put a fisheye on your AC vent for what? $1? Better than nothing.

Personally, I leave my relocation brackets on and swap the mirrors everytime I put doors on and off. It literally takes an extra 60 seconds to do it.

post #14 of 37 Old 09-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
I dont recommend running w/ no side mirrors. It's dangerous.

You can put a fisheye on your AC vent for what? $1? Better than nothing.

Personally, I leave my relocation brackets on and swap the mirrors everytime I put doors on and off. It literally takes an extra 60 seconds to do it.
This is what i did and i love it . . . always there, unobtrusive, covers the blind spot well. Its not like i need to read anything in it I just need to see if a car/bike is there. I normally double check just to be sure (unless im just passing someone)
post #15 of 37 Old 09-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNEBTD View Post
This is what i did and i love it . . . always there, unobtrusive, covers the blind spot well. Its not like i need to read anything in it I just need to see if a car/bike is there. I normally double check just to be sure (unless im just passing someone)
Yea, I use this and just keep them in the glove box. But always check. even these have blind spots.

- Ruskin
2.5"Tera, 34"Maxxis, Front Stubby, Cobra75, Flapless Seatbelts & Grounded Floormats
post #16 of 37 Old 09-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin View Post
Yea, I use this and just keep them in the glove box. But always check. even these have blind spots.
Keep them in the glove box? . . how do they attatch? I have mine taped on (that kick ass 3m tape) to the AV vent so I can just swivel it out of the way if i dont want to see it . . but then again i never do bc i never have doors
post #17 of 37 Old 09-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Granite Guru

Mirrors

Title XXIII MOTOR VEHICLES

Chapter 316 STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL

316.294 Mirrors.--Every vehicle, operated singly or when towing any other vehicle, shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the motor vehicle. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.
History.--s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 1, ch. 76-31; s. 207, ch. 99-248.
Note.--Former s. 316.273. Last modified: November 21, 2006

DOORS - I have run topless and doorless for over a year. I drive by a substation everyday without incident.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." A.Einstein

Last edited by zxqwertyxz; 09-05-2009 at 11:04 PM.
post #18 of 37 Old 09-06-2009, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

awesome... im on a college campus so that just one less thing they can steal!!!
god i wish i could find a hardtop lol
thanks yall
post #19 of 37 Old 09-06-2009, 10:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

top and doors coming off tomoro im gonna go to advance and get some of tose fisheye mirrors they will work for aa while then when i start to drive with the doors off more ill get some harley mirrors

post #20 of 37 Old 09-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Wheeler

My rear mirror wouldn't work for me if a cop actually tested it, having a 37+ tire can really block your rear mirror, but I find I have better visibility with no doors. Turning around, I can see everything that is usually blocked by blind spots.
post #21 of 37 Old 09-06-2009, 01:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i got the torx heads i needed to day and i got teh fisheye mirrors for the vents i cant wait till tomoro:bou nce:

post #22 of 37 Old 09-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Banned

lol why are you waiting?

post #23 of 37 Old 09-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to DataByte Send a message via Yahoo to DataByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxqwertyxz View Post

316.294 Mirrors.--Every vehicle, operated singly or when towing any other vehicle, shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the motor vehicle. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.
History.--s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 1, ch. 76-31; s. 207, ch. 99-248.
Note.--Former s. 316.273. Last modified: November 21, 2006

DOORS - I have run topless and doorless for over a year. I drive by a substation everyday without incident.
Got anything like this for the winshield?

Matthew D

2008 Silver Sahara

*Mention JKOWNERS.com for a 10% discount at checkout*
post #24 of 37 Old 09-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Granite Guru

Windshield Requirement

Sorry for the lack of brevity, state laws are like that. Short answer is that windshields are required with working wipers.

Looks like the only exemption for windshield is a vehicle made specifically for the military as long as occupants have eye protection (sec 6). Nobody else passes.

316.2952 Windshields; requirements; restrictions.--

(1) A windshield in a fixed and upright position, which windshield is equipped with safety glazing as required by federal safety-glazing material standards, is required on every motor vehicle which is operated on the public highways, roads, and streets, except on a motorcycle or implement of husbandry.

(2) A person shall not operate any motor vehicle on any public highway, road, or street with any sign, sunscreening material, product, or covering attached to, or located in or upon, the windshield, except the following:

(a) A certificate or other paper required to be displayed by law.

(b) Sunscreening material along a strip at the top of the windshield, so long as such material is transparent and does not encroach upon the driver's direct forward viewing area as more particularly described and defined in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards No. 205 as the AS/1 portion of the windshield.

(c) A device, issued by a governmental entity as defined in s. 334.03, or its designee, for the purpose of electronic toll payments.

(3) The windshield on every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a device for cleaning rain, snow, or other moisture from the windshield, which device shall be constructed as to be controlled or operated by the driver of the vehicle.

(4) Every windshield wiper upon a motor vehicle shall be maintained in good working order.

(6) A former military vehicle is exempt from the requirements of this section if the department determines that the exemption is necessary to maintain the vehicle's accurate military design and markings. However, whenever the vehicle is operating on the public roads and highways, the operator and passengers must wear eye-protective devices approved by the department. For purposes of this subsection, "former military vehicle" means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle's size, weight, or year of manufacture, that was manufactured for use in any country's military forces and is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.

(7) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.
History.--s. 1, ch. 84-296; s. 15, ch. 93-164; s. 208, ch. 99-248; s. 1, ch. 2003-286; s. 1, ch. 2005-47. Last modified: November 21, 2006

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." A.Einstein
post #25 of 37 Old 09-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxqwertyxz View Post
...except on a motorcycle or implement of husbandry...
So what, precisely, constitutes an "implement of husbandry?"

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." --Stephen Wright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode