post #1 of 61 Old 09-01-2009, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
I do believe....

this is why my alarm kept going off half the night

But on the bright side, no mosquitoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 09-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Banned

Kill it. Its' feral and wiping out native species tree frogs!

post #3 of 61 Old 09-01-2009, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Really? Unless he escaped, he got baked today in the heat. I've been running the past few days with the back windows out and threw em on last night when I got home. Went to walk the dog much later on and this little critter was jumping around all over the damn place.

I'm getting used to finding all manner of bugs, spiders, lizards, rodents, etc in the Jeep.

Quote:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 Old 09-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Banned

Only thing that bothers me are the freaking cats that get in my jeep. I hate cats. And I live to next to the crazy cat lady and her 7 cats + strays she feeds. I keep catchign them and sending them to the cat death camps.

Dont get me startd.

post #5 of 61 Old 09-01-2009, 03:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
Kill it. Its' feral and wiping out native species tree frogs!
Yup!
Karn is right.

That's a Cuban Tree Frog. They're pushing out native Green Tree, Barking Tree, Chorus, Squirrel Tree Frogs and a few others.
Cuban TFs reproduce faster in larger numbers while requiring less water to do it - you've probably seen roadside ditches and puddles with a gazillion little black tadpoles about an inch long - those are usually Cubans.
They also get bigger, are more toxic and have ravenous appetites - they will even eat smaller native TFs!

Same deal with Cuban Brown Anole lizards - wiping out native Green Anoles.
Some people call them chameleons cuz they can change color to a small degree, but true chameleons are all old world.
Interesting note on anoles tho- native greens can turn brown, but Cuban browns can't turn green, only different shades of brown from pale to black - females usually have orange-ish heads and/or a heavy wavy stripe down the back.
There's even a rare blue color morph of the native green.
In the 15 yrs I lived in Fl, a lot of areas that used to have greens now only have browns or greens have become super rare.
Same thing with the TF, where there used to be a lot of greens, now it's primarily just Cuban browns.

My outlook - if it's Feral it's in Peril.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #6 of 61 Old 09-01-2009, 04:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Um.....

You da man V!

Karn.... did you know that or did you pull that outta your azz and get lucky?
post #7 of 61 Old 09-01-2009, 04:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Just another reason to hate frogs

post #8 of 61 Old 09-01-2009, 05:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

hey Scott is that your steering wheel he is on in last pic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #9 of 61 Old 09-01-2009, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've got a **** load of frogs around here. Tree frogs, ground frogs, any****inkinda frog. There's a pond right behind my house and some nights you can't hear anything but "qruirp, qruirp, gruirp, gruirp" all night long.

The bright side, mosquitoes aint so bad.

The not so bright side, they attract snakes.

In July, I spotted a 3' moccasin in the backyard (he got away when I went for the hoe)

June a 2' somethingblackmovinfast crawled into the garage and headed for the back wall. I looked for an hour and couldn't find it. Finally just left the garage door cracked for a week. He went away.

This morning, half asleep, stumblin to put out the recycling and I almost step on a watersnake curled up on the doormat. I about pooped myself.

Quote:
post #10 of 61 Old 09-01-2009, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
hey Scott is that your steering wheel he is on in last pic?
No, the soft top bows. He was jumpin all over the place. Had to leave the alarm off cuz he kept trippin the motion detector. I was hoping he'd go for the spiders I brought back from Ocala. I'm tired of clearing the web from between my seat and steering wheel in the mornings.

BTW, LOTS of spiders in Ocala about right now. At one point I had 5 of them BIG ****IN banana spiders hanging off my cb antenna We went on a night ride and I picked up one of them big fatass juicy lookin spiders on my hood. It was givin me the heeby jeebies crazy

Quote:
post #11 of 61 Old 09-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
Karn.... did you know that or did you pull that outta your azz and get lucky?
I've been catching snakes and lizards and frogs in fl for the past 30 some odd years. Wife wont let me catch venomous snakes anymore though.

I first started seeing these frogs about 10-15 years ago and did some research. I hate invasive species.

Oh and the green anole stuff is dead on. I have one living on my back porch. I'll try to take pics.

post #12 of 61 Old 09-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Banned

I caught this lil fella tonite (again). He lives on my front porch. My son and I have caught him a few times in the past. Some sort of gecko. Wanna clarify Venom?

I was looking for one of those Cuban frogs. Didnt find any - which is shocking. I was telling the wife about this thread over dinner and she said "oh you mean those cuban frogs?"

post #13 of 61 Old 09-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
I've got a **** load of frogs around here. Tree frogs, ground frogs, any****inkinda frog. There's a pond right behind my house and some nights you can't hear anything but "qruirp, qruirp, gruirp, gruirp" all night long.

In July, I spotted a 3' moccasin in the backyard (he got away when I went for the hoe)

June a 2' somethingblackmovinfast crawled into the garage and headed for the back wall. I looked for an hour and couldn't find it. Finally just left the garage door cracked for a week. He went away.

This morning, half asleep, stumblin to put out the recycling and I almost step on a watersnake curled up on the doormat. I about pooped myself.
Dude, are you afraid of/have an extreme dislike of snakes?

Just bustin' your balls. I hate spiders more than NYC citizens hate OBL.

2007 Jeep Green 2-Door

Suspension: RC 2.5" Coils & 2.2 Shocks Rock Krawler HD Tie Rod JKS adjustable trackbars JKS swaybar disconnects

Wheels/Tires: Procomp 1069 16X8 wheels Procomp Radial Mud Terrain 285/75-16 tires

Bumpers/Armor: Expedition One rear bumper/tire carrier

Comms/Extras: Cobra 75 WS XT 3' FirestickDirty Dog 4x4 Bikini
post #14 of 61 Old 09-01-2009, 06:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

Quote:
No, the soft top bows. He was jumpin all over the place. Had to leave the alarm off cuz he kept trippin the motion detector. I was hoping he'd go for the spiders I brought back from Ocala. I'm tired of clearing the web from between my seat and steering wheel in the mornings.

BTW, LOTS of spiders in Ocala about right now. At one point I had 5 of them BIG ****IN banana spiders hanging off my cb antenna We went on a night ride and I picked up one of them big fatass juicy lookin spiders on my hood. It was givin me the heeby jeebies crazy
im glad im not the only one that is terrified of spiders and things snakes are the scariest and coolest thing in the world and frogs are just nasty

i think ive actually seen the blue anole tho i only see 1 or 2 greenies a month tho we have toads at our house we have an asesome pic of my dog face to face with one its cool

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #15 of 61 Old 09-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
MY buddy gives me hell when I call em Bananna spiders. He says "YOU DUMB FUCKING REDNECK - THEY'RE GOLDEN ORB WEAVERS!"

post #16 of 61 Old 09-01-2009, 08:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
MY buddy gives me hell when I call em Bananna spiders. He says "YOU DUMB FUCKING REDNECK - THEY'RE GOLDEN ORB WEAVERS!"

Well, technically the are Nephila clavipes
But Golden Silk Spider or Golden Orb Weaver are correct common names - so named because the silk they spin is actually gold colored.

Your Gecko is yet another introduced species - a Mediterranean Gecko
They colonized the Southern US amazingly fast because they are pathenogenic - they're all females. No male needed for reproduction, they just lay eggs when conditions are right - kinda neat cuz they're so transparent that when she's ready to lay, if you look at her belly you can actually see the pair of developing eggs.

Quote:
post #17 of 61 Old 09-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
Yup!
Karn is right.

That's a Cuban Tree Frog. They're pushing out native Green Tree, Barking Tree, Chorus, Squirrel Tree Frogs and a few others.
Cuban TFs reproduce faster in larger numbers while requiring less water to do it - you've probably seen roadside ditches and puddles with a gazillion little black tadpoles about an inch long - those are usually Cubans.
They also get bigger, are more toxic and have ravenous appetites - they will even eat smaller native TFs!

Same deal with Cuban Brown Anole lizards - wiping out native Green Anoles.
Some people call them chameleons cuz they can change color to a small degree, but true chameleons are all old world.
Interesting note on anoles tho- native greens can turn brown, but Cuban browns can't turn green, only different shades of brown from pale to black - females usually have orange-ish heads and/or a heavy wavy stripe down the back.
There's even a rare blue color morph of the native green.
In the 15 yrs I lived in Fl, a lot of areas that used to have greens now only have browns or greens have become super rare.
Same thing with the TF, where there used to be a lot of greens, now it's primarily just Cuban browns.

My outlook - if it's Feral it's in Peril.
Can they grow in pools? My friend gets a ****ton of tadpoles every now and then in his pool and he uses chlorine and pool shock on em. It's fun killing em.

Quote:
MY buddy gives me hell when I call em Bananna spiders. He says "YOU DUMB ****ING REDNECK - THEY'RE GOLDEN ORB WEAVERS!"
I ****ING HATE THOSE THINGS!!!!

I lived beachside until i was 12 or 13 and we had hundreds upon hundreds of those things in webs all over the place. We had one out in our backyard that had built a web about 20 feet across by 10 feet high and was bigger than a full grown mans fist. I had one of those land on my shoulder when I was 10 and it scared the living **** out of me. I've been afraid of em ever since. Almost arachnophobia afraid. I can't stand those spiders.

jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler

Last edited by JaysJK; 09-01-2009 at 08:19 PM.
post #18 of 61 Old 09-01-2009, 08:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysJK View Post
Can they grow in pools? My friend gets a ****ton of tadpoles every now and then in his pool and he uses chlorine and pool shock on em. It's fun killing em.
they'll lay anywhere theres a decent supply of water
usually not in well maintained pools, because the chlorine is toxic and frogs have very permeable skin.
In unmaintained pools tho,or rarely maintained, not a problem.
Chlorine is an unstable chemical, exposure to the sun breaks it up, thats why you have to continually add it to a pool.
So if the pool sits unmaintained for awhile, the chlorine fades away and it basically becomes a pond and frogs treat it as such

Quote:
post #19 of 61 Old 09-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Rock God

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
they'll lay anywhere theres a decent supply of water
usually not in well maintained pools, because the chlorine is toxic and frogs have very permeable skin.
In unmaintained pools tho,or rarely maintained, not a problem.
Chlorine is an unstable chemical, exposure to the sun breaks it up, thats why you have to continually add it to a pool.
So if the pool sits unmaintained for awhile, the chlorine fades away and it basically becomes a pond and frogs treat it as such
His pool needs to be resurfaced so it eats chlorine like a fat kid does candy. It isn't uncommon to see tadpoles in it on a weekly basis, although it has been better recently.

jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #20 of 61 Old 09-01-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_kyle View Post
Dude, are you afraid of/have an extreme dislike of snakes?

Just bustin' your balls. I hate spiders more than NYC citizens hate OBL.
Nah, not afraid of snakes, merely wary of the poisonous ones. I'll kill a moccasin if I can. The one that got into the garage and the one this morning I was just unsure of what they were. Once I saw the one this morning wasn't a viper, I was cool. I shooed him off into the bushes.

Now spiders? I HATE spiders.

Quote:
post #21 of 61 Old 09-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Rock God

grown men afraid of frogs? yall are a bunch of nancies
post #22 of 61 Old 09-01-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAzGirlsDriveBadAzToyz View Post
Who's afraid of frogs?

Quote:
post #23 of 61 Old 09-01-2009, 08:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAzGirlsDriveBadAzToyz View Post
I think he was talking about the big F'n spider..... but you never know
post #24 of 61 Old 09-01-2009, 08:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

<---- impressed!

You just made my phone a friend list if I am ever on that show where you can phone a friend - if a reptile question comes up it's you!.... but only if V's number is busy... hard to argue with that.

Quote:
I've been catching snakes and lizards and frogs in fl for the past 30 some odd years. Wife wont let me catch venomous snakes anymore though.

I first started seeing these frogs about 10-15 years ago and did some research. I hate invasive species.

Oh and the green anole stuff is dead on. I have one living on my back porch. I'll try to take pics.
post #25 of 61 Old 09-01-2009, 08:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i miss those green anoles.

i remember catching them when i was little and my dad would let them bite onto his earlobes. haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode