When to regear? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-31-2009, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

When to regear?

I know this has been beat to death but i cant get a definative answer for my specific case. 2" BB on a 2008 2 door jk 6spd
what kind of gears are needed if any for a set of 33's
and
what kind of gears are needed if any for a set of 35's
(cant decide on size yet)
also how do yall do it... dealership, shop, yourself? and how much does it run?
man i got my jeep 2 weeks ago and already i found a million things i want to do to it!
Thanks yall
keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-31-2009, 05:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutz1001 View Post
I know this has been beat to death but i cant get a definative answer for my specific case. 2" BB on a 2008 2 door jk 6spd
what kind of gears are needed if any for a set of 33's
and
what kind of gears are needed if any for a set of 35's
(cant decide on size yet)
also how do yall do it... dealership, shop, yourself? and how much does it run?
man i got my jeep 2 weeks ago and already i found a million things i want to do to it!
Thanks yall
keith
This is just my opinion... some might agree, some may not.

If you are doing a 2 inch lift and 33's - you don't need to regear (assuming you have 4.10's)

If you have a 2 inch lift and 35's - it's questionable - I have 4.10's and thought about changing out the gears. I got a superchips programmer which recalibrated the speedometer, so my shift points were back on target. It use to downshift when i was going over an overpass. It no longer does this. I have no plans in changing out my gears now.

If you are changing out your gears - I'd suggest to take it to a shop and get it done right unless you have expierence in doing this stuff.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-31-2009, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

it's the 6spd... dont know if you saw that... i was under the impression i had 3.21 gears??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-31-2009, 06:34 AM

I think your fine for 33's since you have a manual, but you'll probably want to regear to 4.88 if you go 35s... I have 513 and 35's but I'm auto
post #5 of 15 Old 08-31-2009, 06:35 AM
Rock God

Garage

non- rubi? then yes, 3.21. With 33's or 35's you probably wont need to regear, at least not immediately... For the 35's it will be under powered for sure. Use that time to assess what your doing with your jeep and how under powered it feels... get gears based on that. The 6sp can hold a numerically lower gear ratio than the auto.

I'm running 4.10's with 35's in my auto for about 6 months and while I plan to regear, it probably wont happen for a while.

You could probably find a cheap set of 4.10 (~$100) on one of the forums and upgrade to that for little cost.

Best gearing for 35's on a 6sp seems to be either 4.88s or 5.13's.

Joe -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
post #6 of 15 Old 08-31-2009, 07:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
it's the 6spd... dont know if you saw that... i was under the impression i had 3.21 gears??
It might have the 3.73's. If you've got the tow package, then you have them and it's also possible that it was given the $50 gear option for the 3.73's even without the tow package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #7 of 15 Old 08-31-2009, 10:35 AM
Granite Guru

So...33" with 3.73's with an auto should be okay?
post #8 of 15 Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've got the 3.21's with 285/75R16's (works out to about 32.8") and I wish I could regear. I can get around most everywhere with a little bit more skinny pedal but honestly the Jeep will not climb steeps without stalling and it's kind of a slug. I spend most of my trail time in 4L running in 4th gear just because I don't want to bog down and stall in sand when the going gets slow.

Unless you know what your doing, leave the gear swap to a professional shop. And I highly recommend you ask around/shop around before you drop $1200-$1500 on the swap. Gear installs require a degree of skill, knowledge and special tools that most shadetree machanics do not have and I don't know about your area but there are a handful of gear shops in my area that I have heard nothing but bad stuff about.

Me personally? I'm waiting to regear when I get my next set of shoes, probably early next year sometime and then I will be looking at moving up to 35's and a 5.13 gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-31-2009, 11:45 AM
Rock God

I have the 6 speed Rubi and with 35's and the 4.10's it was a dog on hills. Also couldn't use 4 hi on any kind of moderate rough stuff, so always had to run 4lo. Went to 4.88's and all my troubles went away. 4hi works better and I can pull grades fully loaded without having to downshift.
I have my 4.10 takeoffs with about 15k miles on them but never abused. I don't know if they will fit your carrier but I'll let them go for $50'ish bucks+ shipping. Again don't know if they'll fit your carrier.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-31-2009, 12:26 PM
Rock God

I have a 2.5" lift with 33's and have not had any problems with the gears (I have an automatic). I noticed a little bit loss of power when I went to the 33's but nothing too bad. Ran it in 4hi last weekend for a little bit and also had no problems. I'm no expert, but I'd say try it without re-gearing for a little bit and see how much it bothers you. Good luck!
post #11 of 15 Old 08-31-2009, 12:26 PM
Rock God

I have a 6 speed x with Rubi wheels and tires and 3.21 gears. I do pretty well all around. When I go to 33's I'm going to regear to 3.73. You can go to 4.10's if you want but I think the 3.73 should do fine.
post #12 of 15 Old 08-31-2009, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

ok... all good info... just dont wanna pay the price... what do yall think about programers/superchips
post #13 of 15 Old 08-31-2009, 04:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
ok... all good info... just dont wanna pay the price...
If you've got the 3.21's and 6 spd I would not go with 35's. Stick to a 33 and you'll be able to get around just fine until you can save up the duckets for some gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-31-2009, 04:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysJK View Post
I have a 6 speed x with Rubi wheels and tires and 3.21 gears. I do pretty well all around. When I go to 33's I'm going to regear to 3.73. You can go to 4.10's if you want but I think the 3.73 should do fine.
are you really going to bother paying all that money to regear to 3.73 for 33in tires, that are only 1in bigger then what u have now? I'd have to say IMO thats a complete waste of money. You arent even going to what stock rubi's run with 32's why bother? Unless you are getting gears and labor for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #15 of 15 Old 08-31-2009, 06:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
are you really going to bother paying all that money to regear to 3.73 for 33in tires, that are only 1in bigger then what u have now? I'd have to say IMO thats a complete waste of money. You arent even going to what stock rubi's run with 32's why bother? Unless you are getting gears and labor for free.
i must agree dont waste ur money one 3.73s get u some 488s and when u go to 35s it will be very drivable still

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode