Buying used wheels/tires! Are these worth it? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 08-27-2009, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Buying used wheels/tires! Are these worth it?

Hey guys. Waiting on my lift in the mail and found a set of used tires wheels (35' 12X50 Mickey Thomson tires on 17in Nitto Bullet rims). Are these good (both on and off road)? BTW the tires are 4 months old. Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-27-2009, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Mickey Thompson what? MTZ radials? ATZ radials? Baja Claw radials? What is the rim offset? backspace? Lifted Jeep? Stock Jeep?

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 29 Old 08-27-2009, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

THey are the ATZ's and I'm putting a 2" budget boost. I know it'll rub if do to much offroading but I'm gonna save up for some more lift asap. Not sure on the backspacing or anything...sorry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 08-27-2009, 07:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

bullit wheels are for mustangs. personally not a fan... but it's your jeep.

what were these previously run on? and how much are they asking? only way to give an opinion on if they're worth it.

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by .:eMETAL:.; 08-27-2009 at 07:34 AM.
post #5 of 29 Old 08-27-2009, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

The ATZ's have a 3 ply sidewall and a 6 ply tread, which is pretty good in terms of puncture resistance for an A/T tire. If you spend more time on the road and out of the mud, then this is not a bad tire imo. It certainly might disappoint you in thick mud, but that may not be something that you plan to do a lot of. I would personally rather have a set of more aggressive tires, but that's just me. Also curious as to the price you are paying, in terms of how good of a deal this is. I have never run these tires, so I have nothing good or bad to say about them personally, but they should balance well and ride smoothly.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #6 of 29 Old 08-27-2009, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanks for the replies so far! they were run on a jk but the guy is selling alll the goodies before selling the jeep.... i plan to start wiith trails and i do do alot of road driving... the price is 800 bucks
post #7 of 29 Old 08-27-2009, 07:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

ok... last question... when you say set... do you mean 4 or 5? cuz when thinking Jeep... to me that means 5

either way... that's not a bad deal... would be a great deal if it's for 5.

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 29 Old 08-27-2009, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

yea i would have rather of had 5 but its only 4... my bad
post #9 of 29 Old 08-27-2009, 08:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutz1001 View Post
yea i would have rather of had 5 but its only 4... my bad

ok... well as StubEXrube mentioned... these are great for on road driving but not in thick mud. not to say you couldn't do it... just rather you wouldn't be fully satisfied if you want this kind of characteristic. but you mentioned you do a lot of on road driving... so these would be a good fit for you.

do the breakdown...

35"x17x12.5 Mickey ATZ tires go for $252.99ea on quadratec (x4 = $1011.96)
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92606_3XX_A_PG.htm

and i'm guessing the bullit wheels are somewhere around $150? (x4 = $600)

that puts you at $1611.96. so you'd be getting them for half the price at 4 months old.

pretty sweet deal. even if the wheels are 100 bucks a pop... you'd still be looking at $1411.96. still a sweet deal.

post #10 of 29 Old 08-27-2009, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanks so much!!! ok now i feel better about this... i love this forum
post #11 of 29 Old 08-27-2009, 08:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

do they state how many miles are on them at 4 months?

post #12 of 29 Old 08-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

BTW- You might ask the previous owner how many miles are actually on them, rather than looking at it as "4 months". He may have racked up some serious miles although doubtful. Don't ever buy "sight unseen".

Also consider spending some coin to get a front bumper and winch with these tires.....just in case you find yourself in some deep mud with no other Jeeps around. Hell....see if this guy wants to sell you a winch too while you're at it.

Best of luck man.

post #13 of 29 Old 08-27-2009, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

yea theres no listiing on milage but i will def do that when we meet up... once again thanks for all the advise
post #14 of 29 Old 08-27-2009, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

ok one more question! talked to the guy and were gonna swap wheels for a bit of a discount... will 35's fit on my stock x if i stay on the road until i get the lift???
post #15 of 29 Old 08-27-2009, 09:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutz1001 View Post
ok one more question! talked to the guy and were gonna swap wheels for a bit of a discount... will 35's fit on my stock x if i stay on the road until i get the lift???
seen it done but you wont want anything to do with hard cornering or offroad.

so how many miles on those suckers?

post #16 of 29 Old 08-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Rock God

Hell no! It would be like putting a size 12 foot in a size 10 shoe , sure it will go in but wont be worth a dayum.
post #17 of 29 Old 08-27-2009, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

awesome... i havent asked but will do... sorry for knowing nothing but will they bolt right on or will i need spacers or anything?
post #18 of 29 Old 08-27-2009, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

o didnt see gunny's...now im confused
post #19 of 29 Old 08-27-2009, 09:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

there is a guy in the Destin area that ran 35s with no lift. not sure what the backspacing was.

hmmmm.... judas is a member here... i believe he did the same... i'll shoot him a pm and get him to chime in.

in regards to gunny. you're correct they'll be useless but the OP plans on putting a budget boost on. he's looking to get the wheels and tires home for now. he should be able to do so.

klutz1001... get us the backspacing

Last edited by .:eMETAL:.; 08-27-2009 at 09:38 AM.
post #20 of 29 Old 08-27-2009, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

talked to HER and she says she doesnt know the milage or backspacing there only a couple months old tho...
post #21 of 29 Old 08-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Rock God

A couple of months? Ask her what her daily commute was in the JK. That can usually get you a ballpark mileage. As for cramming 35's under the stock fenders its been said before. It is possible, but you probably won't be happy with the results.

jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #22 of 29 Old 08-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Rock God

Garage

Don't forget those chunky plastic fenders are held on with little plastic clips that will break away when a big tire jams against them... been there done that, and I had a lift (35x12.5x17 Mickey MTZ's and 2.5" Procomp coil & shock). So easy on the speed bumps!

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." --Stephen Wright
post #23 of 29 Old 08-27-2009, 12:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

only a cpl months old or 4months old? why is she getting rid of them? Well maybe because they are AT's and she realized she wants some MT's how can someone not have an idea of how many miles the tires have on them lol...how many miles the jeep have on it?

you are going to rub like hell though without lift, specially when turning, how long you going to run them without lift

WHy isnt she on THIS forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #24 of 29 Old 08-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Wheeler

i received my BFG KM2 35x12.5x15's about a week before my lift and had no rubbing issues at all while driving around town with the air damn removed even at full lock. on the hard trails is a different story, with the sway bar disconnected full flex comes pretty quick with no lift. jggucwa put 35" AT's on his stock X with no lift and hasn't had a complaint even while wheeling with us, so it can definitely be done just dont expect to tackle moab with this set up. you could always put some flat fenders on if you want to go the no lift route and still be able to articulate.

you can still stuff your tires up in there.

but its much better with a little lift.

jggucwas 35" AT's no lift

'13 Commando JKUR
'09 Deep Water Blue JK
'12 Overland GC Hemi
'99 LX470
'72 FJ40
pics here -
post #25 of 29 Old 08-27-2009, 12:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

thank you judas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode