New to wheelin' in Tampa - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 08-18-2009, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Talking New to wheelin' in Tampa

Hey, I am a new JK owner and also new to wheelin' but am VERY anxious and excited to get out on my first trails! I am in the Tampa, FL area and it would be great to find someone in my area that could kinda show me the ropes, show me where the trails are, and help me plan my upgrades.
Obviously in Tampa, and a lot of FL, I won't be dealing with the types of trails that are anything like other places around the country but I also plan on taking a lot of trips out of the area to wheel.
I bought an '07 X completely stock other than an automatic transmission and a hard top. It has the 225/75R16 wranglers and the shiny little steel 16 inch wheels. So new tires and wheels will be the first thing I get if for no other reason than a more aggressive look. I like the BF KM's. But I don't know if I should get some wheels and tires that fit the current setup or go ahead and install a lift and go with larger tires all at the same time.
Lots to think about. Any help would be appreciated. -Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-18-2009, 08:46 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ImmortalityLTD

Whatever you so is entirely up to your imagination and your budget.

Myself, being on a limited budget I am taking it slowly:

1. Wheel spacers (for a wider track and more aggressive look)
2. 33" tires on the stock wheels (might have to trim the flares)
3. Lift (probably a 2.5" Teraflex BB)
4. New wheels (to sit in the garage until the new tires arrive)
5. 35" tires
6. Rear bumper w/ tire carrier
7. Front bumper
8. Winch
9. Xenon flares

Each one of these purchases may be 3-6-9 months after the previous one, so the Jeep will probably be paid off before I get it the way i want it.

Joel
2010 Tiki Rescue World Champion
post #3 of 21 Old 08-18-2009, 09:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Welcome to JKO!

I'm runnin down the same trail as ImmortalityLTD. Takin it nice and easy on the pocket (relatively, this **** aint cheap)

Here's my progression

Fresh from the dealership July 08

Added Rubi JKU springs & shocks (and some rock rails) September 08

Bigger shoes January 09

2.5 BB April 09

Wheels August 09

And misc other crap as I went along; bumper, lights, graphics, rack, etc, etc, etc, etc

It's been a year and it's hardly paid for. I'll run this way for the next few years (yeah RIGHT) until it is paid for; then go fer a long arm setup & 35's

or 37's

or maybe 40's

Last edited by scottrock; 08-18-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 08-18-2009, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Hey scottrock, when you got the new tires, did you originally have them on the factory wheels? the 16's? If so, what tires were those that you got? size? I like that setup and if I can get bigger tires on the wheels I have now then I may just go with a 2.5" lift and some bigger tires for now and add the wheels later. Yours looks good!
post #5 of 21 Old 08-18-2009, 10:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks bud, the tires are ProComp Extreme AT's 285/75R16 on stock steel. They will fit but they will rub on the sway bar at full lock and DO NOT DISCO WITHOUT SPACERS as they also rub the front spring perchs when stuffed. I didn't have spacers but I would have to recommend them with any stock wheel. I was just very careful and/or lucky to not puncture a sidewall.

The last pic is the same size tire (Nitto Terra Grappler AT's) on an 16"X8" 4.625" BS wheel.
post #6 of 21 Old 08-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Granite Guru

i would say get some better tires for the wheels you have and then see if you need a lift. i run stock tires and wheels and haven't been stuck yet and i've roamed around ocala, green swamp and richloam. i live over in brandon so if you want together and talk jeeps or have a beer, shoot me a pm.

2008 JK X - Jeep Green, 6spd, Home Made Stubby Bumper, MasterCraft Grab Handles, Husky Floor Mats
1995 YJ - Anemic 4 cylinder, 5spd SOLD
1969 CJ5 - Ran into the ground and left for dead
post #7 of 21 Old 08-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Banned

my advice is always the same: buy recovery gear before you increase your ability to get into trouble. I say winch first, then lift and tires. That's how I did it anyways.

post #8 of 21 Old 08-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
my advice is always the same: buy recovery gear before you increase your ability to get into trouble. I say winch first, then lift and tires. That's how I did it anyways.
thats true. i forget about recovering gear cause i've had mine for so long. actually, now that it's brought up i should probably inspect mine to make sure it's still good to go.

2008 JK X - Jeep Green, 6spd, Home Made Stubby Bumper, MasterCraft Grab Handles, Husky Floor Mats
post #9 of 21 Old 08-18-2009, 12:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Oh, I thought that was a given?

Good advise, totally missed that point

Recovery gear is a must. Not just a winch but other things in that list is a recovery strap, shackles, recovery points front and rear, shovel, ax, gloves, hi-lift, chain, tools, spare parts. The list goes on but the basics are a must. Get recovery points first, then a recovery strap on down the list. If you're uncertain about a specific piece of gear, post up. We'll help ya out.

Last edited by scottrock; 08-18-2009 at 12:35 PM.
post #10 of 21 Old 08-18-2009, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Again, all this is very new to me but I do wanna do it right! Can you give me some specific ideas of some recovery gear? Brands? Prices? Where to find? I have about 2k to spend on my first go-round of upgrades and I would like to include tires in there somewhere. Is that plausible or out of the question? Are these things I can install myself with no experience or will I need to pay someone to install? Just don't really know where to start, ya know?
post #11 of 21 Old 08-18-2009, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

And by the way, I SERIOUSLY appreciate all the help! I can tell this is gonna be a lot of fun!
post #12 of 21 Old 08-18-2009, 01:00 PM
JKO Addict!

what's up man! I am in tampa.....Keep an eye in this forum for some wheelin. If you need any help with the Jeep hit me up

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #13 of 21 Old 08-18-2009, 01:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

I spend a lot of time up in the Largo area and can lend a hand also if ever needed... or if you want to go out and do some wheelin just hit me up.

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 21 Old 08-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Rock God

Garage

welcome to the JKO

2008 BLACK Unlimited Sahara
Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

post #15 of 21 Old 08-18-2009, 01:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronrandal View Post
Again, all this is very new to me but I do wanna do it right! Can you give me some specific ideas of some recovery gear? Brands? Prices? Where to find? I have about 2k to spend on my first go-round of upgrades and I would like to include tires in there somewhere. Is that plausible or out of the question? Are these things I can install myself with no experience or will I need to pay someone to install? Just don't really know where to start, ya know?
Here's a good read.

https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread...=recovery+gear

First things first, if you're gonna wheel it, get recovery points. Tow hooks in the front; if yours came with a hook in the back, or if you have a receiver hitch, that will suffice until you replace the bumper with one that has shackles.

Oh and don't run off to the dealer or hit a catalog for every piece you need.

Check here first

https://jkowners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14

You never know what someone is selling or even giving away and you can save yourself bookoo dollas. and spend em on upgrades!
post #16 of 21 Old 08-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Rock God

Garage

get a 2.5" lift (teraflex or equiv)

15" wheels, and 35's. very economical and you will be happy.

dont waste money on 33's.

no jeep here...
post #17 of 21 Old 08-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronrandal View Post
i would start with some tow points front and rear. if you're jeep didn't come with the hooks for the front bumper look around in the for sale section, you should be able to find a set for less than $40. if you have a tow hitch in the back get one of the d-rings that go into the hitch, if you don't have a hitch or want to buy one you can get a factory tow hook for the rear too. you'll want a good tow strap with eyelets on the ends, don't get the ones with the hooks, i made that mistake once and had to replace a windshield in my cj-5. the hooks you should be able to put on yourself, if you don't have tools or a garage i'd be willing to help. i carry a couple good flashlights, gloves, a small surgical kit and other miscellaneous items with me too, i tend to over prepare.

for 2 grand you should be able to get some good tires and a solid bit of recovery gear.

post #18 of 21 Old 08-18-2009, 02:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer83l View Post
get a 2.5" lift (teraflex or equiv)

15" wheels, and 35's. very economical and you will be happy.

dont waste money on 33's.
Careful recommending 15" wheels to the noobs plz. There are some that will not fit the JK due to the calipers. 16" rim is recommended. If you have one that works without mod, kindly list it. Not everyone wants to be grinding their calipers to make a wheel fit.

edit: and to argue with your ideology, money spent on 33's is certainly not "wasted". Up until the JK, a 33 was a damn big tire on a Jeep and many, many, many (many?) folks have wheeled the hell outa their rigs with no more than a "lowly 33". Also unless you have 4:10's, 35's will require a re-gear for acceptable off-road manners. A re-gear would put this fella outa his budget. And FWIW, 33's all I have and I have no issue going EVERYWHERE I want to go.

Last edited by scottrock; 08-18-2009 at 05:28 PM.
post #19 of 21 Old 08-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ImmortalityLTD

Quote:
Good Advice. I have updated my plan as follows:
1. Wheel spacers (for a wider track and more aggressive look)
2. 33" tires on the stock wheels (might have to trim the flares)
3. Front bumper
4. Winch

5. Lift (probably a 2.5" Teraflex BB)
6. New wheels (to sit in the garage until the new tires arrive)
7. 35" tires
8. Rear bumper w/ tire carrier
9. Xenon flares

Unless I hit the Powerball tomorrow night! I am gonna have some FUN at Truck and Jeep fest this weekend if that happens. I won't hold my breath.

Joel
2010 Tiki Rescue World Champion
post #20 of 21 Old 08-18-2009, 06:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

where abouts in brandon?
post #21 of 21 Old 08-18-2009, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyfl View Post
where abouts in brandon?
I live right around the corner from Brandon High School. I work in Riverview though...Boyette and 301
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode