Recession?? South Beach did not get the Memo!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 08-17-2009, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Recession?? South Beach did not get the Memo!!

Took the wife to South Beach Saturday night for dinner and some clubbing. I have been out of the club & South Beach restaurant scene for a little while but....what the hell!!!!

Valet at the restaurant...$12. Not up front, regular valet.
Martini's at the restaurant..$29 each!! Had dinner with a few friends and the girls were sucking them down just as fast as the waiter could bring them.
Restaurant (Barton G's) did do a fantastic job with food and service though which is rare on South Beach to get both right. Bill for 10 people was just under the cost of a new Dynatrac 60!!

Left the restaurant and went to a rooftop bar on Collins/on top of Gansevoort Hotel. Became friends of the manager due to a mutual friend so no bar tab but when I went to the valet....$30. I was there for maybe an hour. $30 for valet? That is for everyone visiting the hotel and overnight cars pay $38. I am sorry but $29 martinis and $30 valet charges is being screwed over!! I guess so many Europeans visit SOBE that they think they can charge European prices!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ImmortalityLTD

That's ridiculous. They should pay YOU $30 to drive your Jeep for an hour.

Joel
2010 Tiki Rescue World Champion
post #3 of 24 Old 08-17-2009, 08:52 AM
Banned

You're nuts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 08-17-2009, 08:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
You're nuts.
I second that ****. Sounds way to rich for my blood. $30 for a drink?!?!?! Did it come with some free drugs??? handjob??

Guess some people got more $$$ than sense.

Last edited by scottrock; 08-17-2009 at 09:05 AM.
post #5 of 24 Old 08-17-2009, 09:01 AM

Welcome to my life..... Me and my closest buddies from high school still hang out and all of us have gfs which of course are all friends and LOVE to go clubbing and whatnot.... so as you can imagine at this point i'd have my 4x4 and all were it not for the clubbing, restaurants, and bar hopping.... Not to mention when we take out the 36ft sport open fish which has two tanks for those two 250 Mercs... fun times, just not for my wallet
post #6 of 24 Old 08-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Rock God

wow. $30 for a drink? thats close to two cases of beer for me. it is fun to splurge once in awhile, but thats insane.

2012 ARCTIC
SILVER. 2 DOOR.
IN SERVICE 12/17/11
post #7 of 24 Old 08-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Banned

If I drank at that bar it'd run me about $600 to get drunk.

post #8 of 24 Old 08-17-2009, 09:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
If I drank at that bar it'd run me about $600 to get drunk.

those prices are insane, even if I were a bagillionare I wouldnt want to pay them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #9 of 24 Old 08-17-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post

those prices are insane, even if I were a bagillionare I wouldnt want to pay them
Agreed.... i could win the $213 mil powerball tomorrow and still wont pay those prices... the jeep parts on the other hand i can't substitute anything for the best money can buy
post #10 of 24 Old 08-17-2009, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalityLTD View Post
That's ridiculous. They should pay YOU $30 to drive your Jeep for an hour.
No way I give my Jeep to a South Beach valet to drive!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
I second that ****. Sounds way to rich for my blood. $30 for a drink?!?!?! Did it come with some free drugs???

Guess some people got more $$$ than sense.
For those of you that don't know me, before my body shop days I was in the hotel and restaurant business for over 15 years. I was talking to the restaurant manager and our waiter and I told him everything was excellent but the martini prices were outrageous (wine prices were in line with what they should be). The waiter remarked that the high price was because they were double shots!! Oh, OK then. The manager and I both had to laugh.

It's not just this place, I spoke to some of my buddies that work and live at South Beach and they said it is like that at a bunch of places. They told me the Fountainbleau is even more expensive!

Too rich for my blood as well!! Reminds me of the Steve Martin movie where he had to get a credit check before they would except his reservation at the restaurant!!
post #11 of 24 Old 08-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose512 View Post
Took the wife to South Beach Saturday night for dinner and some clubbing. I have been out of the club & South Beach restaurant scene for a little while but....what the hell!!!!

Martini's at the restaurant..$29 each!! Had dinner with a few friends and the girls were sucking them down just as fast as the waiter could bring them.
Restaurant (Barton G's) did do a fantastic job with food and service though which is rare on South Beach to get both right. Bill for 10 people was just under the cost of a new Dynatrac 60!!

Left the restaurant and went to a rooftop bar on Collins/on top of Gansevoort Hotel. Became friends of the manager due to a mutual friend so no bar tab but when I went to the valet....$30. I was there for maybe an hour. $30 for valet? That is for everyone visiting the hotel and overnight cars pay $38. I am sorry but $29 martinis and $30 valet charges is being screwed over!! I guess so many Europeans visit SOBE that they think they can charge European prices!!
I like your style, would you adopt me?

"All wranglers are jeeps, not all jeeps are wranglers"

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"
post #12 of 24 Old 08-17-2009, 09:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If some chick ordered a $29 martini while out with me, she'd be walking home lol.

They are just trying to target / segregate their clinetelle via pricing. Bet there were a lot of hot secrataries or Mc Donalds cashiers with over inflated worth in that place too!

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #13 of 24 Old 08-17-2009, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2run View Post
I like your style, would you adopt me?
Sure!! But my South Beach nights are done! Bye-Bye Eurotrash and coked-up models wearing shorts too small for my 4 year old!! Hello beer bellies!!

My Saturday nights are now going to be TGI Fridays and Holiday Inns!! See you guys in a few days!!
post #14 of 24 Old 08-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Granite Guru

that's insane!! no way would i ever spend that much for a drink!
post #15 of 24 Old 08-17-2009, 10:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose512 View Post

Quote:
You're nuts.
no more words....

except. HOLY FVCK!

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

post #16 of 24 Old 08-17-2009, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DgonzJK View Post
Welcome to my life..... Me and my closest buddies from high school still hang out and all of us have gfs which of course are all friends and LOVE to go clubbing and whatnot.... so as you can imagine at this point i'd have my 4x4 and all were it not for the clubbing, restaurants, and bar hopping.... Not to mention when we take out the 36ft sport open fish which has two tanks for those two 250 Mercs... fun times, just not for my wallet
Back in my university days (also here in Miami) I used to be at South Beach or the Grove EVERY night as well. Spent a lot of money but didn't feel I was getting ripped off like this weekend. Bottle service this past weekend was $275 to $350 and that hasn't changed much in the past few years. $30 valet and $30 martini's is getting totally fawked!!

Don't get me started on boats!! I have a 29' Pro Line Super Sport sitting at the marina. Boating is one of the most expensive hobbies there is and my boat is small potatoes!!
post #17 of 24 Old 08-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrahawk View Post
If some chick ordered a $29 martini while out with me, she'd be walking home........
.....or blowing me before we left the valet stand...

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #18 of 24 Old 08-17-2009, 12:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE View Post
.....or blowing me before we left the valet stand...

corey d

I could make that concession!

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #19 of 24 Old 08-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Rock God

Garage

Wow. Wife and I went to Flemings steak house in Tampa last week - special occasion. Dropped $25 at the bar for a Bombay & Tonic and mostly clear cosmo. Dinner w/ $80 bottle of wine was $200. We don't do that much but we also had a $150 gift card.

South Beach sounds like fun though.

- Ruskin
2.5"Tera, 34"Maxxis, Front Stubby, Cobra75, Flapless Seatbelts & Grounded Floormats
post #20 of 24 Old 08-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Wheeler

Looks Like I will be staying the Key's

Wow no south beach for me and the wife. We just went to Lazy Days in Islamorada (FL Keys) for wife's b-day. I spent $120 (with tip) for drinks (1 each not big drinkers ), appetizer, dinner, and dessert. Best part beside eating outside looking at the ocean was parking my own Jeep. The cost of South Beach is all the more reason to stay on the Rock.

Chili_p

2009 JK X 2 Door, Auto, Soft Top, Deep Water Blue Pearl
Terra Flex 2.5" BB,Bed-lined Rubi Rims/Tires, sPOD, FLW Rock Sliders.
Ordered Finishline West Chubby 2.0 now waiting on UPS or FedEx.
My other hobby
post #21 of 24 Old 08-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DgonzJK View Post
Agreed.... i could win the $213 mil powerball tomorrow and still wont pay those prices... the jeep parts on the other hand i can't substitute anything for the best money can buy
only $213 million? don't even waste your time playing.I always wait until it gets above 300.

'08 Rubicon UL Red Rock(SOLD)
'83 CJ-7
post #22 of 24 Old 08-17-2009, 07:56 PM
Granite Guru

Damn Moose, I didn't realize you were a high roller like that! You Dade County people. Come hang out with this Broward peep and I'll show you a good time for 1/10 the price. Also, if you want to hang out in the Grove sometime let me know and we can meet and have drinks at a nice place there (Only because I got inside connections).
post #23 of 24 Old 08-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRANGLERV8 View Post
only $213 million? don't even waste your time playing.I always wait until it gets above 300.
its 245 now
post #24 of 24 Old 08-18-2009, 07:36 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrahawk View Post
If some chick ordered a $29 martini while out with me, she'd be walking home lol.

They are just trying to target / segregate their clinetelle via pricing. Bet there were a lot of hot secrataries or Mc Donalds cashiers with over inflated worth in that place too!
I wouldn't make her walk home but she would owe me some major "favors". Like all night and all the next day favors.

jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode