Good mechanic in North County area - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-14-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Good mechanic in North County area

Hey guys, I need some input on a good mechanic that has experience working on our Jeeps. Preferably someone who has done suspension work.

Thanks, Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-14-2009, 06:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Word is put out, keeping the ears open for you,
post #3 of 17 Old 05-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjammin90 View Post
Hey guys, I need some input on a good mechanic that has experience working on our Jeeps. Preferably someone who has done suspension work.

Thanks, Ben
what do you need done?

.[___]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(OllllllO)
{}--o{}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Wheeler

The best I know is unfortunately in El Cajon - MIT http://www.mit4x4.com

08 Silver 4 Door X - XD Bumpers - Slightly lifted, and some modest welding underneath... and a really loud stereo to block the wind noise
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 Old 05-14-2009, 10:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

YO TY

BUFFETT BABY
post #6 of 17 Old 05-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Rock God

Quote:

Thanks, Ben
I have actually had nothing but good experiences with TAG Motorsports here in Escondido. After I installed my new front Dana 44, they were the ones who went over it, fine-tuning any adjustments, and did all the alignment work to fix my death wobble (and yes, when you have it, there is no mistaking it); and all for a very fair price.

TAG also does all the lifts/suspensions on the new vehicles you see on the lots around the North County area.

I am currently having my front driveshaft re-built because Jason (or "J") (head mechanic @ TAG) diagnosed my problem one afternoon. Without hesitation, he stopped what he was doing in the shop, crawled under my JK, and after I told him what some others (on another forum) had said (which turned out to be totally wrong), he properly found the issue. He then took me to the back of their shop where 4 other Jeeps were, plus in the parking lot where the vice-prez's JK was, and he showed me how the correct part was rock solid veruses mine with slop. I asked if they could fix it, and he stated that it would be more expensive because they just send out this type of problem (CV Joint re-build), and if I just when straight to the driveline shop, it would save me money.

They have always been willing to take time to chat with me and help me when I have questions during an install I am doing myself.

I know these guys are sort of known for doing truck lifts, or lowering kits, but the mechanics would all rather work on Jeeps. Most of them drive Jeeps, and Jason has one heck of a TJ Rock Crawler. Additionally, the vice-prez has a 2-door JK that is completely built-up, and all the work was done by the guys at TAG.

The guys you want to deal with are Bob (at the sales counter) and Jason (or "J") in the shop. They have always gone the extra mile for me. If you talk to either of those guys, you can mention my name (they will probably say something like, "oh yeah, Ty, he comes in here every time he breaks his JK, which for a while seemed like every week.")

Ty....
post #7 of 17 Old 05-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUDDLZ View Post
YO TY

BUFFETT BABY
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm trying to work it out. B-U-T, I think my end-of-the-year T-ball awards/dinner is gonna be that night.

Ty..

Your Southern California wheelin' Attorney

post #8 of 17 Old 05-14-2009, 10:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4LOYR View Post
I have actually had nothing but good experiences with TAG Motorsports here in Escondido. After I installed my new front Dana 44, they were the ones who went over it, fine-tuning any adjustments, and did all the alignment work to fix my death wobble (and yes, when you have it, there is no mistaking it); and all for a very fair price.

TAG also does all the lifts/suspensions on the new vehicles you see on the lots around the North County area.

I am currently having my front driveshaft re-built because Jason (or "J") (head mechanic @ TAG) diagnosed my problem one afternoon. Without hesitation, he stopped what he was doing in the shop, crawled under my JK, and after I told him what some others (on another forum) had said (which turned out to be totally wrong), he properly found the issue. He then took me to the back of their shop where 4 other Jeeps were, plus in the parking lot where the vice-prez's JK was, and he showed me how the correct part was rock solid veruses mine with slop. I asked if they could fix it, and he stated that it would be more expensive because they just send out this type of problem (CV Joint re-build), and if I just when straight to the driveline shop, it would save me money.

They have always been willing to take time to chat with me and help me when I have questions during an install I am doing myself.

I know these guys are sort of known for doing truck lifts, or lowering kits, but the mechanics would all rather work on Jeeps. Most of them drive Jeeps, and Jason has one heck of a TJ Rock Crawler. Additionally, the vice-prez has a 2-door JK that is completely built-up, and all the work was done by the guys at TAG.

The guys you want to deal with are Bob (at the sales counter) and Jason (or "J") in the shop. They have always gone the extra mile for me. If you talk to either of those guys, you can mention my name (they will probably say something like, "oh yeah, Ty, he comes in here every time he breaks his JK, which for a while seemed like every week.")

Ty....
Tell TAG to be a vendor @ the Summerfest, and we don't accept excuses no more
post #9 of 17 Old 05-14-2009, 10:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Wait a minute, that LAWYER guy said the 44 got installed in his garage, hmmmmmm After I installed my new front Dana 44, they were the ones who went over it, fine-tuning any adjustmentsfor got to read the fine print, sorry

Now the case is pulling together council.

Last edited by PUDDLZ; 05-14-2009 at 10:44 PM.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-14-2009, 10:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm trying to work it out. B-U-T, I think my end-of-the-year T-ball awards/dinner is gonna be that night.

Ty..
post #11 of 17 Old 05-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Tell TAG to be a vendor @ the Summerfest, and we don't accept excuses no more
Next time I'm in there, I'll tell them to be a vendor at *your* event.

It was funny, the last time I walked into TAG (it had probably been a few months -- guess I'm not wheelin' hard enough), the head mechanic, "J", says, "Hey, I finally saw the video of you breaking your rear driveshaft, and you bustin' up that front D30 axle." <-- These guys cruise the forum sites and they *know* who the players are (they actually know Mel pretty well.)
post #12 of 17 Old 05-14-2009, 10:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Next time I'm in there, I'll tell them to be a vendor at *your* event.

It was funny, the last time I walked into TAG (it had probably been a few months -- guess I'm not wheelin' hard enough), the head mechanic, "J", says, "Hey, I finally saw the video of you breaking your rear driveshaft, and you bustin' up that front D30 axle." <-- These guys cruise the forum sites and they *know* who the players are (they actually know Mel pretty well.)
Not my event, its everyone's event
post #13 of 17 Old 05-14-2009, 10:50 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Wait a minute, that LAWYER guy said the 44 got installed in his garage, hmmmmmm After I installed my new front Dana 44, they were the ones who went over it, fine-tuning any adjustmentsfor got to read the fine print, sorry

Now the case is pulling together council.
I f'n installed it. B-U-T, I had death wobble. I couldn't figure out how to get rid of it (caster, toe-in, toe-out, etc...; so yes, they went over everything AFTER I completely switched out all the front suspension/lift components. It turns out that my *track bar bracket* was tearing off the axle. TAG welded on a Currie bracket for me.

post #14 of 17 Old 05-14-2009, 10:52 PM
Rock God

Greg, now apologize for this wretched highjack.

post #15 of 17 Old 05-15-2009, 05:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Greg, now apologize for this wretched highjack.

TY

You are the man Bro

Stone Brew for you @ the event
post #16 of 17 Old 05-15-2009, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for all the input guys, you rock!

TAG seems to be the place I'm headed. The problem I'm having is with the ride quality of the TF BB I installed. I get minor wobbles from time to time and have had one serious case of death wobble on the 5 once. IT SUCKED! And scared the piss outta my fiance...

I have a few items I want installed (FT 3" springs/Frt TB/Rr Tb bracket/Steering stabilizer) Right now I don't have the time and would rather have someone with experience get it done right the first time, plus have someplace to go with any subsequent issues.
post #17 of 17 Old 05-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Thanks for all the input guys, you rock!

TAG seems to be the place I'm headed. The problem I'm having is with the ride quality of the TF BB I installed. I get minor wobbles from time to time and have had one serious case of death wobble on the 5 once. IT SUCKED! And scared the piss outta my fiance...

I have a few items I want installed (FT 3" springs/Frt TB/Rr Tb bracket/Steering stabilizer) Right now I don't have the time and would rather have someone with experience get it done right the first time, plus have someplace to go with any subsequent issues.
TAG kept working with me on my death wobble issue until we resolved it. They have a good idea of what to do now for it. Just make sure that you tell them you want the "shaking" problem resolved WITHOUT the steering stabilizer installed (that is what I asked for, and I think it helped -- well, it didn't *mask* the problem.)

BTW, it is on Meyers, off of Nordahl (the Nordahl exit off the 78 East). Just down the street from Off Road Warehouse (on teh Escondido/San Marcos border).

Good luck,

Ty...

Your Southern California wheelin' Attorney

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode