Big Bear trail advice - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 05-17-2013, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Research, bro!

Garage
Big Bear trail advice

Hey! A few of us NorCal JKO's are going down to the Big Bear area this Memorial Day weekend. 4 - 5 JKs. All well built , all experienced. (Well, one is armored but only on 35's open/open - we plan on dragging him through anything he gets hung up on.) We want to hit as many of the harder trails as possible in the 2 - 2.5 days we have to be on trail(s). Is it possible to do John Bull, Holcomb and Dishpan all in that time allotted? I ordered a SoCal book and trail map, but not coming until Tuesday so I don't know estimated trail times or how far apart they are.

Any recommended order of the trails or other trails I'm missing? Does any one trail, easy or hard, stick out as ridiculously scenic and shouldn't be missed while down there?

We have a cabin we are staying at down there - I don't know where, another's take care of that - have any great places to eat?

Maybe see some of y'all out there on a trail!

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A proud part of the Cutts!

Last edited by RRauzer; 05-17-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 05-18-2013, 08:50 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I would start with Gold Mountain as it is a good little warm up trail, then on to John Bull, then to Holcomb then down Dishpan and even back up Dishpan. With an experienced group, you should be able to run through all of those in one day. Have fun!

[
post #3 of 48 Old 05-19-2013, 10:10 PM
Granite Guru

^^^^this. you guys should be fine with regards to your set ups. have a good time, and if your around Monday maybe we will see each other on the trail.

So-Cal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Krew O.G.
RKDONKY (work in progress)
'11 JKU Rubicon, bright silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 08:37 AM
Wheeler

I have done dishpan to john bull in one day with plenty of time to spare. Just be ready for some traffic jams on the beginning of the trails as it will be a busy weekend. I ran John Bull backwards last time and it was a lot of fun.

post #5 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 09:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I don't think I have anything going on that weekend and would be down to join you guys. I have done all of those trails multiple times.

I usually eat at Sandy's Sports bar.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods

Last edited by PhrogMech46; 05-20-2013 at 09:07 AM.
post #6 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Granite Guru

I might be down.....
post #7 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 09:10 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogMech46 View Post
I don't think I have anything going on that weekend and would be down to join you guys. I have done all of those trails multiple times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullcrew View Post
I might be down.....
If I can find a place for me and my girl to stay I'll go. If the nor cal guys don't want the company we can make our own run.
post #8 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 09:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

Quote:
I might be down.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargin View Post
If I can find a place for me and my girl to stay I'll go. If the nor cal guys don't want the company we can make our own run.
We would love to wheel with you guys!!

"CUTTS CREW"
"08 2 Door X-Fox Coilovers-Custom MC ended Long Arm w/ 8" Rear Stretch-40" ProComp MT2-ProRock 44 Unlimited-ARB Front/Rear Locker-5.13's-Custom VKS Rock Rails-Chopped Fenders-ARB Compressor-Overkill Corners Customized-PSC Hood Louver-PSC BFH Trail Stinger
post #9 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 09:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGGSTATUS View Post
We would love to wheel with you guys!!
Sounds good, what day are you guys wanting to plan for? If we are to hit all those trails on a holiday weekend we are going to have to start early. John Bull and Dishpan Springs have traffic jams from time to time.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
post #10 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 10:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Sounds good, what day are you guys wanting to plan for? If we are to hit all those trails on a holiday weekend we are going to have to start early. John Bull and Dishpan Springs have traffic jams from time to time.
We're headed down Friday....So Saturday?

"CUTTS CREW"
"08 2 Door X-Fox Coilovers-Custom MC ended Long Arm w/ 8" Rear Stretch-40" ProComp MT2-ProRock 44 Unlimited-ARB Front/Rear Locker-5.13's-Custom VKS Rock Rails-Chopped Fenders-ARB Compressor-Overkill Corners Customized-PSC Hood Louver-PSC BFH Trail Stinger
post #11 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 10:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
We're headed down Friday....So Saturday?
Sounds good Ill PM you my number.

See Garage for Mods
post #12 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Research, bro!

Garage

Like Jeff (Hoggstatus) said, be great to meet some of you SoCal guys out there! Phrog, I'm pm-ing you my #, so we shouldn't screw meeting up too bad!

Yip, we plan on wheeling both Sat and Sun, but the "main" trails will be Saturday!

post #13 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 10:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Sounds good Ill PM you my number.
Responded and gave you my info.... See ya Saturday!!

"CUTTS CREW"
post #14 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 10:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRauzer View Post
Like Jeff (Hoggstatus) said, be great to meet some of you SoCal guys out there! Phrog, I'm pm-ing you my #, so we shouldn't screw meeting up too bad!

Yip, we plan on wheeling both Sat and Sun, but the "main" trails will be Saturday!
Quote:
Responded and gave you my info.... See ya Saturday!!
See you guys on Saturday, maybe a couple of other locals will surface for this run. Make sure to bring food and beverages because its going to be a long day.

See Garage for Mods
post #15 of 48 Old 05-22-2013, 08:33 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
See you guys on Saturday, maybe a couple of other locals will surface for this run. Make sure to bring food and beverages because its going to be a long day.
I'll be there.

Phrog, I got a cabin and it has an extra room. If you want to crash, let me know and I will get you directions. I'll be heading up there Friday night.

Anyone have ideas as to where and when we are meeting up?
post #16 of 48 Old 05-22-2013, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Research, bro!

Garage

Quote:
I'll be there.

Phrog, I got a cabin and it has an extra room. If you want to crash, let me know and I will get you directions. I'll be heading up there Friday night.

Cool. We have jeep night tonight and hopefully be nailing down some details on when and where we are down in BB.

post #17 of 48 Old 05-22-2013, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Research, bro!

Garage

I was looking at a trail map I got yesterday and it doesn't look so, but I'll ask anyways. Any reason to bring rotopax of gas if stringing trails together down there or are gas stations pretty easy to get to?

post #18 of 48 Old 05-22-2013, 07:43 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Timmay View Post
I would start with Gold Mountain as it is a good little warm up trail, then on to John Bull, then to Holcomb then down Dishpan and even back up Dishpan. With an experienced group, you should be able to run through all of those in one day. Have fun!
Damm Timmay , they said 5rigs and a open open, there's no way they can do that in one day and enjoy it... I don't even think you can do all those with 5rigs on a busy weekend..lol let me talk to Johnny an see if we can make it up the mountain after the Ultra4 race on Sat... he's prolly gonna be tired... Would love to wheel with some Nor Cal Peeps
post #19 of 48 Old 05-22-2013, 08:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by radrubi View Post
Damm Timmay , they said 5rigs and a open open, there's no way they can do that in one day and enjoy it... I don't even think you can do all those with 5rigs on a busy weekend..lol let me talk to Johnny an see if we can make it up the mountain after the Ultra4 race on Sat... he's prolly gonna be tired... Would love to wheel with some Nor Cal Peeps
If we get an early start and dont run into any huge traffic jams I'm pretty confident we can get through gold mountain, john bull, and holcomb in a day.

See Garage for Mods
post #20 of 48 Old 05-22-2013, 08:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I'll be there.

Thanks for the invite but the wife doesn't get home from her business trip till Friday so I will be spending some time with her. Not sure about Saturday night but most likely I will be driving back home.

I'll leave the meeting place up to the nor cal guys but if you are looking for ideas the Fawn skin Fire Department is a great meeting spot.

See Garage for Mods
post #21 of 48 Old 05-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Granite Guru

I'm hoping to have axles and lockers in by Friday.........lol Edgar I don't want to be the other open/open guy there.....would miss all the good stuff lol.....if I have to run open I'm still pretty confident I'll go....

Not too mention I don't trust the d30 with 37s bouncing around, would be a long tow......
post #22 of 48 Old 05-22-2013, 08:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I'm hoping to have axles and lockers in by Friday.........lol Edgar I don't want to be the other open/open guy there.....would miss all the good stuff lol.....if I have to run open I'm still pretty confident I'll go....
The last time we did John Bull we got some open/open guys through there without much fuss so I wouldn't be worried about it. I will bring my extra tie rod this time around in case anyone needs it. Lol

See Garage for Mods
post #23 of 48 Old 05-22-2013, 08:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRauzer View Post
I was looking at a trail map I got yesterday and it doesn't look so, but I'll ask anyways. Any reason to bring rotopax of gas if stringing trails together down there or are gas stations pretty easy to get to?
Nope no need for gas as long as your topped off before we head out. I usually fill up when I leave my house 85 miles away, wheel all day and usually make it back home on the same tank. There are a couple of gas stations around town.

See Garage for Mods
post #24 of 48 Old 05-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
What can I say, JK. We are just that good. I won't be able to join in.

[
post #25 of 48 Old 05-23-2013, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Research, bro!

Garage

Quote:
Quote:
If we get an early start and dont run into any huge traffic jams I'm pretty confident we can get through gold mountain, john bull, and holcomb in a day.
We have two days and change to play - we'll just see how much we can knock out on Saturday. We're thinking about heading to Cougar Buttes on Sunday and can likely do a morning trail Monday before we head back too. What doesn't get done doesn't.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode