Riverside, San Diego, or??? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 01-02-2013, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Riverside, San Diego, or???

Dear Californians,

I need your help. As a recent transplant to the West coast, and current San Diegan, I'm trying to decide whether or not to stay here. I'll (hopefully) be done with my law enforcement certification in the spring time. When discussing areas to live, one of my friends in the area told me to look into Riverside County. I've only been in CA since October, and haven't been able to explore SoCal at all. So the question is:

Is Riverside County a nice place to live and work? If so, why? If not, why not?
Any better places in SoCal?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-03-2013, 07:04 AM
Rock God

Riverside county covers a large area, any specific cities/towns you are looking at?
post #3 of 20 Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 AM
Wheeler

I wouldn't live there as the temps are a little hot for my tastes during the summer. It might be a good place to start your LEO career there though as there are a lot of places that have a lot of gang activity and therefore LEO activity. To be fair LA, OC also have their gang issues also. The coastline of any of the counties along the south coast are much milder but more expensive to live in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Rock God

If you have the choice to stay in SD over Riverside, then I vote SD. It is much nicer there. Riverside is HUGE, so you will have to narrow it down a bit.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-03-2013, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Garage

San Diego or Riverside?

There isn't even a choice there IMO.

San Diego is just about my favorite city in the US, to bad I hate the state its in. Granted its going to be more expensive to live in SD, but you have everything right there at your door step.

My brother lives in SD still, I envy that fucker!

Now I guess if you are more of a desert dweller the Inland Empire can suit your needs as well... but it might as well be a different planet weather wise than SD.

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #6 of 20 Old 01-03-2013, 09:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Growing up there, I would choose a beach community before I go into the IE.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #7 of 20 Old 01-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Rock God

I lived in sd my whole life, before i moved to az i lived in murrietta, i really liked it, but that's one of the southern most parts of riverside county.

I grew up in poway, my family still lives there. It's definitely a nice place to live, a little pricey but good schools and lots of hotties! Lol

Good luck!
Sent from within the beaver

CRAWLIN PERFORMANCE 602-552-6793
post #8 of 20 Old 01-03-2013, 01:18 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Oh good god.... stay away from the "inland empire" at all costs. It is one of the absolute worse places in the state as a whole (for residence)... the upside is that it puts you pretty close to the best we have to offer a wheeler (JV).

I live on the coast in Ventura County and love it. Quiet for California, as we are spread out and have a lower population than most of our close neighbors, yet everything is available for a short drive... and the scene in LA is less than an hour away (nightlife, music, art, performing arts, etc.). I grew up in Orange County and while it is nice, it has become overly populated and extremely expensive.

So... my suggestion is anything but the IE and the middle/center of the state.
post #9 of 20 Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Also being a San Diego transplant, there is no comparison between SD and Riverside. The only place i'd live even close to there would be Apple Valley, Hesperia, or Victorville in San Bernadino. Otherwise, SD has my vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-03-2013, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Very well. Looks like I'll be staying here in SD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubiconquered View Post
I lived in sd my whole life...I grew up in poway... lots of hotties!
^^Pretty much sealed the deal righ there. haha

post #11 of 20 Old 01-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I live in Riverside County and trust me when I say that SD is wayyyyyy nicer!

[
post #12 of 20 Old 01-03-2013, 07:19 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Timmay View Post
I live in Riverside County and trust me when I say that SD is wayyyyyy nicer!
Hey man... I meant no offense. But hey... you are WAY ahead of the guy that likes the Victor Valley. The IE has WAY fewer meth labs.
post #13 of 20 Old 01-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
Hey man... I meant no offense. But hey... you are WAY ahead of the guy that likes the Victor Valley. The IE has WAY fewer meth labs.
None taken. I live in the Palm Springs area and it's okay, but the summers just kill me. We've got our fair share of meth labs here too. At least I'm only an hour from the Hammers.

Timmay

[
post #14 of 20 Old 01-03-2013, 08:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Holy crap there is a lot of bashing the IE in here , I lived in SD and slowly moved my way up to the IE and I don't regret it one bit

Just like the SD it depends on where you are planing on living like la Mesa or chula vista , I know I would never live in those city's

But up here it is the same way there is a lot of nice city's that are close to SD or LA , but cost of living is cheaper up here
post #15 of 20 Old 01-03-2013, 09:15 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
Hey, in my defense, it has been years since I visited the Victor Valley, has it gotten that bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #16 of 20 Old 01-04-2013, 01:51 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Hey, in my defense, it has been years since I visited the Victor Valley, has it gotten that bad?
It's not great... I don't think it ever has been. But... the true gem is out where Hundy lives... Lucerne is likely the world's capitol.

@JAKER: do I need a gun when traveling in Wildomar? I have to go there tomorrow morning.
post #17 of 20 Old 01-04-2013, 07:25 PM
JKO Addict!

First why the hell are you coming to my hood and no you don't need protection
post #18 of 20 Old 01-06-2013, 07:04 AM
Rock God

A lot of IE bashing in this thread. I grew up in Redlands and really liked it, everything was close. 45 min to either the top of the mountain or the beach and the desert is closer. LA and OC were close if that was your kind of scene. Traffic isnt nearly as bad as LA or OC.

Parts of Temecula/ Murietta are nice but I would avoid the city of Riverside as much as possible.
post #19 of 20 Old 01-08-2013, 05:46 PM
Granite Guru

Ie and San Diego are 2 different animals all together. Cross over the 15 and drop into temecula and that's the start. Temeculas is actually really nice but after that its dusty and hot....
I've lived in Santa Barbara as a kid and San Diego for along time between del mar, pq, oceanside and up in Manhattan beach in south bay. LOVE the coast and the life style now I have also lived in lake Elsinore and mom resides in murrietta so I'm familiar with ie....

2 different lifestyles, my vote is SD FTW!

I'd have loved ie when I ran pre runners and race trucks as well as fabbed..,we lived in ocotillo and the desert every week and bilsteins parking lot....
post #20 of 20 Old 03-27-2013, 01:45 AM
Granite Guru

Folks that blast IE as being "the worst" often never lived here. Just like any other county, its got good and bad. People that live in national city claim to be from SD but reality is, I wouldn't live there. Hell, OC even has garden grove. ;-)

Just do some research, call some depts, etc. Riverside county does get warm but I'm from Phoenix so not a big deal to me. In exchange for high temps you get lower cost of living (rent/mortgage, gas, etc). Nicer areas include Rancho Cucamonga, Corona, Temecula. You can do OC but your paycheck doesn't go as far. For every wealthy resident, there's many more people that are "ghetto fab". They spend so much on housing and trying to look better off that they're always broke. However, there are areas that are somewhat reasonable (for OC). Check out the somewhat inland areas of Anaheim, Orange, Fullerton, etc.

Good luck to ya. Hope you get hired on soon. LOTS of tight budgets out there. A friend is trying for Laguna....ONE opening.

Always follow a great leader. In the absence of a great leader, BE ONE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode