Upgrading exhaust - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-17-2016, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Upgrading exhaust

I'm looking into upgrading my exhaust system on my 2 door sport. I see there is some that eliminate the rear muffler which is what I would like to do but I'm not sure if it will the pass smog check when the time comes. California is tight with thir emission laws so I'm asking if I have to keep both mufflers or have just one and still be able to pass smog?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-17-2016, 05:31 PM
Granite Guru

if they have the carb stamp you should be ok
post #3 of 10 Old 04-17-2016, 06:44 PM
Wheeler

I went with a Dynomax dual and I love it!! Great sound and look.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-17-2016, 09:00 PM
Granite Guru

Anything after the catalyst and rear(downstream) O2 sensor is ok. Funny thing im looking for one too but I don't want anything loud its a v-6 and to me most sound like garbage IMO. I just want to get rid of the massive rear muffler.so it looks like I will be fabricating my own exh system.

2010 jk 2dr 3.5 in lift synergy c/arms synergy high steer RPM fab tierod Dynatrac pro rock front 5:13s cooper stt 37s eaton e locker adv adapters rubicrawler adams driveshafts bilsteins. Bestop trektop pro poisen spyder tire carrier VKS stubby rear bumper VKS fab stubby front. Pure jeep sliders yaesu ftm400. Shit I forgot the rest... KK6WIT
post #5 of 10 Old 04-21-2016, 01:46 PM
Rock God

If you guys are in the LA area, there is a spot that will hook it up for a good price. I had mine done for about $150 or $175 muffler included. It was much cheaper than any other shop in my area. I basically told them where I wanted the muffler and exactly how I wanted the pipes ran and he did it. Couldn't be happier. I mounted mine by the frame in front of the rear tire and had the exhaust pipe run over my sway bar and out. I just passed smog with no issues and the sound isn't too bad. Sound isn't bad at all. Let me know if you want pictures.

A-1 Muffler & Brake Express
10924 Norwalk Blvd, Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670 (562) 946-7313

This isn't mine but I ran mine very similar to this.

Last edited by WeGo4x4; 04-21-2016 at 01:50 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-18-2016, 10:03 AM
JKowners Vendor

I finally tested our (dominion offroad) muffler relo kit on my own JK. It's very quiet. Not as quiet as the factory muff, but definitely that direction. I'm going to be doing another production run soon. If you're in socal and would like to listen, hit me up. Our warehouse is in Santa Ana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark915 View Post
Anything after the catalyst and rear(downstream) O2 sensor is ok. Funny thing im looking for one too but I don't want anything loud its a v-6 and to me most sound like garbage IMO. I just want to get rid of the massive rear muffler.so it looks like I will be fabricating my own exh system.

Woods Storage Tub Enlargement Kit - Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit - Evap Can Relocation Kit Muffler Relocation Kit - Tailgate Shock Kit
Buy Woods Kits at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-19-2016, 04:55 AM
Wheeler

Did a magnaflow upgrade and removed the catalytic converter still passes the smog test.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-20-2016, 11:17 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowender View Post
Did a magnaflow upgrade and removed the catalytic converter still passes the smog test.
This definitely wont work in CA. You can't even replace your cat with just any cat in CA. There are cats you can buy for 49 states, and there are CA CARB compliant ones. They're stamped with a serial number, so even if you pass emissions tests, the smog shop will need to verify that your cat has that stamp. It's a headache.

2007 JKU, 4" RE Lift, superflex arms & track bar, King 2.5 series shocks, JKS drag flip, D44s with 5.13, front w/ sleeves, gussets, synergy ball joints, OX locker, rear w/ Eaton E-locker, Hanson front stubby bumper, Warn 8k, Flashpaq tuner, dynomax pre-axle dump exhaust, JE Reel shafts, 730N, Banks CAI, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, ACE Engineering sliders, inner fenders, and light bar mount, trektop, bushwacker flares.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-20-2016, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I may be too old-school or not aware of modern limitations but couldn't some form of muffler dump be inconspicuously installed upon California vehicles so that they'll be compliant during the annual check for emissions compliance but when ya wanted to, have the noxious exhaust bypass that weeny,treehugging system and just dump out earlier in the route?
It would irritate me so much to have that stringent of emissions laws that I'd have to find some means of sneakily leaving the giant carbon footprint all over California just because....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-01-2016, 10:56 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeGo4x4 View Post
If you guys are in the LA area, there is a spot that will hook it up for a good price. I had mine done for about $150 or $175 muffler included.
Wish I knew this sooner before dropping ~$165 for a Flowmaster HP2. Thing drones loudest right in the 2k-2.5k range

I was also trying to minimize dB while deleting the stock muffler, but I've never welded anything and didn't want to spend time practicing first so...

FYI, don't JB Weld exhaust components. They're supposed to be rated for high temp, but it has a different thermal expansion coefficient than the pipe steel so now there's a gap all the way around where I patched my garbage weld job above. And worse, it has a terrible chemical smell every time it heats up so I smell it whenever I get out of my Jeep. Hoping it goes away in the next week or two but it can't be good to breathe. Otherwise, I'll have to trim off the napkin ring JB Weld.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode