Mojave Trail - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-05-2015, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Mojave Trail

Iím putting a Mojave Trail run together for the club I belong to. We are driving from Northern California and most of us will be trailering our rigs. We are hoping to park our truck and trailers somewhere near Baker, CA. (Where the trial ends?) And then drive to the trailhead near Laughlin, NV. My question is if anyone knows of a place to park our trailering rigs?

Also, has anyone driven this trail and is it worth going?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-05-2015, 12:13 PM
Granite Guru

It is an easy trail but with lots of history. Worth doing it in my opinion. We are doing it in early May this year. Normally we camp 2 nights on the trail and take 3 days to do it.

As for the truck / trailer parking, I don't know. Anywhere in Baker should be fine, I guess.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-05-2015, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks... Yeah, from what I've read and heard it isn't a hard trail. I just find the history fascinating. Please post a description of your trip when you get finished.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-05-2015, 04:01 PM
Granite Guru

Sure, will do. Enjoy your trip.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-15-2015, 03:19 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Iím putting a Mojave Trail run together for the club I belong to. We are driving from Northern California and most of us will be trailering our rigs. We are hoping to park our truck and trailers somewhere near Baker, CA. (Where the trial ends?) And then drive to the trailhead near Laughlin, NV. My question is if anyone knows of a place to park our trailering rigs?

Also, has anyone driven this trail and is it worth going?
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyjfm View Post
It is an easy trail but with lots of history. Worth doing it in my opinion. We are doing it in early May this year. Normally we camp 2 nights on the trail and take 3 days to do it.

As for the truck / trailer parking, I don't know. Anywhere in Baker should be fine, I guess.
If either of you wouldn't mind having another Yeep come along, please let me know.
I've been trying to get a run together with the few friends I have that also own 4wds for a couple years now, and I've been striking out royally.
Thanks
post #6 of 16 Old 03-15-2015, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

As it gets closer to November give me a PM. I don't think it would be a problem to have another Jeep go with us...
post #7 of 16 Old 03-15-2015, 09:46 PM
Granite Guru

State Line. (Jean NV) or Searchlight NV would have safe trailer parking. Either way you are close enough to the trail head. Barstow would work also but then you need treck across hwy40 to the Avi hotel. Another option is to meet up at the Avi get a good nights rest then travel to Aften Canyon and run the trail from West to East. Send me a email with your contact info if you want to talk. [email protected]. I have ran the trail a few times each direction.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-29-2015, 09:06 PM
Rock God

Highly recomend this book if your gonna run the trail: http://www.amazon.com/Mojave-Road-Gu...he+mojave+road
post #9 of 16 Old 03-29-2015, 09:48 PM
Granite Guru

Between Jeeps and dirtbikes I have run this many times. I was on part of it this weekend...

Technically the trail ends near Barstow but quite a few people quit after Afton Canyon. The water crossing was very deep last November.
There is one motel left in Baker and it is a dump and not cheap(we stay there anyways when we are on bikes in July to enjoy beer and Del Taco by the pool).

Carruthers Canyon Is a nice spot to camp but a ways off the trail. If you aren't in a hurry it would be worth breaking off the trail to see Kelso Depot also.

The dry lake behind Zyzzyx can be impassable when wet but there is a way around it that takes you right to Baker.

Any questions please ask. Might be going out there around the same time. I've done the whole thing in a day on a KTM 640 but that would be a very long day in Jeeps.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-01-2015, 01:37 AM
Wheeler

If anyone plans on going before the summer heat, hit me up if you're looking for someone to go with.
I've been trying to get friends to go with me but have been striking out
post #11 of 16 Old 04-03-2015, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks everyone for the replies... I'm still in the very early planning stages. I don't even have dates yet. As November gets closer I will have a lot more questions.
post #12 of 16 Old 04-03-2015, 08:33 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoKev View Post
If anyone plans on going before the summer heat, hit me up if you're looking for someone to go with.
I've been trying to get friends to go with me but have been striking out
I am in Las Vegas. Even if I don't have time to do the whole thing I could still meet somewhere and do part of it.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-21-2015, 03:28 PM
Rock God

Garage
GET THE BOOK

There is so much to see along the trail, but unless you have the Mojave Road Trail Guide book you will likely miss a LOT of it as most require side trips that are not marked. Also pick up a rock if your going to cross the lake bed.

Get the Trail Guide Book!

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-29-2015, 09:07 PM
Wheeler

Mohave trail.

Ok I have to subscribe when you get dates together let me know we have always wanted to run this trail.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-01-2015, 05:13 PM

Mojave Trail- Sunscribe

I'm out in Phoenix and would be interested in this trail, too.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-28-2015, 04:55 PM
Rock God

Also check the Mojave Preserve website. If memory serves, 7 or more vehicles traveling together requires a permit.

Current Mods:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  1. Cleghorn tailpipe mod
  2. Cleghorn side step ventilation with Gold Mtn. enhancement
  3. Heartbreak Ridge bumper scuffs
  4. Goler gas tank skid mod
  5. Miscellaneous pin striping
  6. Woods evap cannister relocate (Wow, an intentional mod!)
  7. 2"BB and swapped in stock Rubi coils and shocks (thanks Seth!)
  8. Calico fender realignment and texturing
  9. Calico "explodey the side step" ez removal kit
  10. Stock Rubicon rails courtesy of JackTuttle (Thanks Jack!)
  11. Solid Axle dif covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode