Death Valley - Lippencott Road - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-23-2013, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
stanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 180
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews
Death Valley - Lippencott Road

Will be in Death Valley this weekend. Does anyone have any info about Saline Valley Road - North Pass and Lippencott Road over to The Racetrack?

Thanks in advance.

Greg Stanley
STANMAN Fabrication & Design
stanman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 12-24-2013, 04:39 AM
DaK
Rock God
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 540
Feedback: 0 reviews

Interesting as I was just inquiring about other roads in DV... some sources for ya:

http://www.nps.gov/deva/loader.cfm?c...&pageid=439529

https://www.facebook.com/DeathValley...ns?ref=profile

It appears that the DV rangers do respond to FB posts so you may want to try there first.

Last time through Lippencott, which was before the recent rains the road was freshly graded all they way to Racetrack Rd. Even Racetrack road was well groomed as the rock bed was actually gone the last time through.
DaK is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 12-24-2013, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
stanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 180
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Thanks a ton!

We're road tripping to my FIL's. He lives in Henderson.

First night Harvey's in Tahoe, dinner with some friends. Second night in Bishop. Then a couple days exploring DV before heading on over to Vegas/Henderson for New Years.

Greg Stanley
STANMAN Fabrication & Design
stanman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 12-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Rock God
 
RiggerMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Corona, Ca, USA
Posts: 1,238
Feedback: 0 reviews

Saline Valley road from the south has a "road closed" sign on the side of the road but was open for travel. The road was in pretty good shape with no real issues. I was up there during the gubmint shutdown.

Current Mods:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  1. Cleghorn tailpipe mod
  2. Cleghorn side step ventilation with Gold Mtn. enhancement
  3. Heartbreak Ridge bumper scuffs
  4. Goler gas tank skid mod
  5. Miscellaneous pin striping
  6. Woods evap cannister relocate (Wow, an intentional mod!)
  7. 2"BB and swapped in stock Rubi coils and shocks (thanks Seth!)
  8. Calico fender realignment and texturing
  9. Calico "explodey the side step" ez removal kit
  10. Stock Rubicon rails courtesy of JackTuttle (Thanks Jack!)
  11. Solid Axle dif covers
RiggerMike is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 12-28-2013, 06:01 AM
DaK
Rock God
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 540
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiggerMike View Post
Saline Valley road from the south has a "road closed" sign on the side of the road but was open for travel. The road was in pretty good shape with no real issues. I was up there during the gubmint shutdown.
That was awhile ago, they have been quickly getting the place back together since getting back to work. All the roads we were on were freshly graded. The part of the west road we were on was like driving on pavement it was so smooth.

Now, if San Bernardino and Inyo counties will get their chit together and get the Panamint road back in on piece all will be well because I am here to tell ya that Nadeau road blows when you are doing it at 9 PM on a moonless night. 2.5hrs to go 17 miles.
DaK is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 12-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Wheeler
 
Heholua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Age: 47
Posts: 24
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaK View Post
That was awhile ago, they have been quickly getting the place back together since getting back to work. All the roads we were on were freshly graded. The part of the west road we were on was like driving on pavement it was so smooth.

Now, if San Bernardino and Inyo counties will get their chit together and get the Panamint road back in on piece all will be well because I am here to tell ya that Nadeau road blows when you are doing it at 9 PM on a moonless night. 2.5hrs to go 17 miles.
Inyo County received federal funding and is in the process of repairing Trona-Wildrose road now. No telling how long it will take. I was out there two weeks ago and they were ripping up the bad asphalt and rough grading.
Heholua is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 12-30-2013, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
stanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 180
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

We made it to Vegas/Henderson... great trip!

The turn-off from Death Valley Road onto Saline Valley Road had a 'Road Closed' sign but that didn't deter us.

There was still a fair about of snow and ice passing through the North Pass, south of Opal Valley. The road was really good down into the Saline Valley. We did not go to the hot springs and actually didn't realize we'd missed the turn out all together until we were already at the sand dunes.

Heading south from where you pass the salt tram remains the road is pretty much a graded rock/boulder lane to the turn out to Lippencott Road.

Lippencott was a blast going up. There was a really narrow spot by the mine shaft where it had washed badly... hugging the protruding rock, the passenger side wheels actually dropped into the wash. A wider vehicle would definitely get some pucker factor. The section past the old Death Valley sign was pretty rough but no problem for our basically stock Rubicon. Not sure how the four Asian couples were going to fair through that section on their way down in a Ford Escape and a BMW X5...

No shit, we're coming up the next section and around the corner comes a maroon Escape and a silver X5. It took me 2 minutes to get them to understand there was no backing up for us. And there was actually a very large turnout at the corner they had just come around. It took me nearly ten minutes to get them backed into what was like a small parking lot. The guy in the X5 was really pathetic.

We have no idea what happened to them folks. I tried to convince them that the part they had come down was no where near being the "rough part".

After waving goodbye to our new Asian "friends", it was a short distance to the east entry and the historic sign that reads in plain English, "LIPPENCOTT PASS, 4X4 HIGH CLEARANCE, NO TOW SERVICE - CAUTION". We had to assume our Asian friends did not know what "HIGH CLEARANCE" meant.

From there we proceeded back north on Racetrack Road... what a rough, washboarded PITA that was!

But we had a great day!

Greg Stanley
STANMAN Fabrication & Design
stanman is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 01-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: La Habra, CA
Posts: 5
Feedback: 0 reviews

I was just in Death Valley with a good friend of mine, had a great game plan for driving home from Mammoth

with the lack of snow up on the mountains all seemed ok, me and my JKU, he and his CJ5.
Racetrack was dusty, Lippincott was nice and fun, just hug some rocks. Saline Road.... ya.... we were attempting.. to well drive through it all. the sun went down just after we came down off Lippincott. Like most we ignored the sign of closures...

trying to make it over Saline.... I won't let him forget it... nope he told me always bring a gas can. .... yep... found our selves later with a snowdrift a good couple feet thick. but we made it out in one piece... (for the most part, his poor CJ5... all kinds of broken atm)
*first it was the drive down, .... much later the drive up, and CJ5.... poor rusted thing.... drinking up all the remaining fuel... and just shutting down thirsty for more.... I would do it again... this time with more fuel*

lets just say... going back and forth from Beatty was not fun... .... yep.... I won't let him forget it.... a gas can is your best friend... other than me.... a long adventure... with a dash of Murphy's law...

but the wash outs on Lippincott... just a dash sketchy

I'm just happy we made it back to his place at 5 in the morning...

Last edited by c3metal; 01-08-2014 at 06:26 PM.
c3metal is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 01-09-2014, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
stanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 180
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3metal View Post
I was just in Death Valley with a good friend of mine, had a great game plan for driving home from Mammoth

with the lack of snow up on the mountains all seemed ok, me and my JKU, he and his CJ5.
Racetrack was dusty, Lippincott was nice and fun, just hug some rocks. Saline Road.... ya.... we were attempting.. to well drive through it all. the sun went down just after we came down off Lippincott. Like most we ignored the sign of closures...

trying to make it over Saline.... I won't let him forget it... nope he told me always bring a gas can. .... yep... found our selves later with a snowdrift a good couple feet thick. but we made it out in one piece... (for the most part, his poor CJ5... all kinds of broken atm)
*first it was the drive down, .... much later the drive up, and CJ5.... poor rusted thing.... drinking up all the remaining fuel... and just shutting down thirsty for more.... I would do it again... this time with more fuel*

lets just say... going back and forth from Beatty was not fun... .... yep.... I won't let him forget it.... a gas can is your best friend... other than me.... a long adventure... with a dash of Murphy's law...

but the wash outs on Lippincott... just a dash sketchy

I'm just happy we made it back to his place at 5 in the morning...
YIKES!! My friends would never live that one down!

We topped off with fuel in Big Pine less than a quarter mile from the junction of 395 and 168 at about 10AM. From that corner it was about 18 miles to Saline Valley Road. It was almost dark by the time we got to the Ubehebe Crater. We stopped in Furnace Creek for dinner and still had over 1/2 a tank when we arrived at the Longstreet Inn and Casino on the state line in Amargossa Valley.

Greg Stanley
STANMAN Fabrication & Design
stanman is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 01-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: La Habra, CA
Posts: 5
Feedback: 0 reviews

That would have been nice for us I was thinking all was good so was he, we would have made it down around near that one Shell station on the 190 I believe (he mapped it.... he finally admitted I was right hahahahahaha score 1 for me) I was hoping we could have stopped around furnace creek for dinn... but no... 3 hours of driving back and forth from Beatty... >.< lets just say he owes me...
c3metal is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome