Big Bear Newbie Run: Saturday, October 3 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 380 Old 09-01-2009, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Big Bear Newbie Run: Saturday, October 3

Big Bear Newbie Run: Saturday, October 3

On Saturday, October 3, 2009, several members of the JKO SoCal group are planning on leading a NEWBIE run up in the Big Bear area – followed by a barbeque at a local JKO cabin. This run is intended to include those that are new to off-roading, have a new Jeep in the family (we don’t really care if it is a Jeep or not, and it certainly does not have to be a JK), or want to explore some new trails. More experienced Wheelers are welcome as well, but please note, the emphasis will be on getting the newer members up and over the obstacles rather than “how fast can we blow through this trail.”

Our trail motto: no one left behind.

If you are new to Off-roading, or have a new JK, and are a bit uncomfortable taking your new, shiny (expensive) Jeep on the trail for the first time, several members have offered to take passengers along in their rigs. We will be meeting at the Big Bear Discovery Center, and you can leave your Jeep (or other off-road vehicle) in their parking lot, and we will return you to the Discovery Center after the run.

The Trails:
WHITE MOUNTAIN (3N17)
Quote:
Dirtopia: NFS rated as "Difficult", but it really is not that bad. There are a couple tight spots but if you take your time you can get out without a scrape. Most of this trail is rocky/sandy hill-climbs that makes for a fun challenge. No boulder fields or anything like that. There is little to no room to pass on this trail, save for a few turn-offs, so be prepared to back up if you encounter someone coming the other way. Easiest thing to do is watch the trail ahead of you when you round a bend, then pull off and rest for a bit if you see anyone coming. You can run this trail both West -> East and East -> West, the former being the more enjoyable way, with more options to use lockers. If you are unlocked, you should have no problems going East -> West, as it is mostly descents, but if you are going the other way someone in the group should have lockers and be in front of you for a tug. Anyone with 31"+ should be able to run this ok, but you will want grippy tires - be prepared for a tug if not. Air down to sub 20's for best grip here. Watch for sharp rocks!
GOLD MOUNTAIN (3N69)
Quote:
Dirtopia:The trail heads up from Big Pine Flat Trail to the peak of Gold Mountain. This trail is rated “Difficult" by the Forest Service, and should only be attempted in high-clearance vehicles. There are several challenging rock gardens towards the top of the mountain. Part of the trail has a bypass known as 3N69A that is more difficult. Numerous stock vehicles have successfully driven this trail with little problems. Spotting is required in some spots, but that is what the more experienced guys are for.
Direction of Travel:
We are going to run White Mountain west to east then head down and run Gold Mountain "backwards" bring us back down to the blacktop. That way we would cover the longest non wheeling part driving out of the way first thing and then end that day at blacktop.

We'll take Polique Canyon Road (which is right by the Big Bear Discovery Center) to 3N16, then to 3N14, and hang a right onto White Mountain (3N17). White Mountain will take us back to 3N16 and head down a couple miles to run Gold Mountain "backwards."

***Drinking alcohol on the trail by the driver will not be tolerated. If you cannot enjoy a day of wheelin' without consuming alcohol, this run is not for you. We can all enjoy a frosty brew at Ty's cabin after the trail.***

Date:
Saturday, October 3, 2009

Meeting Location:
Big Bear Discovery Center  40971 North Shore Dr. (Hwy 38) Fawnskin, California 92338
(909) 866-3437

Meeting Time:
8:30 AM

Adventure Pass:
If you are recreating in the Angeles, Cleveland, Los Padres or San Bernardino National Forests, you will need an Adventure Pass (online information). A "Day Use" pass is $5.00. A "Yearly" Pass is $30.00. The Big Bear Discovery Center opens at 8:30 am, and they sell both the $5 Day Pass as well as the $30 Yearly Pass (note: when a second vehicle Pass is purchased with the Yearly Pass, it is only an additional $5.00; in other words, you can get two (2) "Yearly Passes" for $35.00.)

Announcement:
Please note: our meeting time for this run is at 8:30 AM. We will have our “driver’s meeting” at 8:45 AM in the back of the parking lot at the Discovery Center. Also, we will try and line-up the rigs in some sort of order as you arrive in the parking lot. We want to start rolling at 9:00 AM. We have a very large group attending this event, therefore, it is imperative that all fueling needs, potty-stops, and snack/drink purchasing all be completed prior to the time we start rolling (9:00 AM). We will air-down and disconnect sway-bars (us non-Rubicon models) in the Discovery Center parking lot prior to rolling out.

Participants:
1. 4x4LOYR + 2 boys (Torin & Trace)
2. Chris Hanson + wife
3. SDMF + wife + son (Zakk)
4. dougnpj
5. Gunny + 2
6. bjammin90
7. bjammin90 FJ friend
8. CDavisJK + 1
9. Hatch & Maral
10. dayton1999 + Team Dirty Girlz (late)
11. tym + 2 kids
12. GR09RUBI + 1
13. Rollbar13 + 3
14. SDSLVRJK + 2
15. MR LIKA (Full-sized Blazer)
16. MR LIKA (The "Monster")
17. barneskh
18. socalocal + 2
19. doubleoh7
20. doubleoh7's friend
21. doubleoh7's other friend
22. 007JEEP
23. 007JEEP + Guest1
24. 007JEEP + Guest2
25. 007JEEP + Guest3
26. liquidhigh
27. lizandromm + 4
28. yjdavid
29. crypnite + 1
30. Red Dirt +1
31. Gunny's Guest
32. Chicken Corners + 3

BBQ to follow the trail run:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Straps View Post
Due to the large number of people, and the required prep time, we *may* change the BBQ menu a little bit.

MENU
Pulled-Pork sandwiches, BBQ Beans, Cole-slaw
Corn
Miscellaneous Salads
Cake for dessert

Hatch will also bring the MARGARITAS (AFTER THE TRAIL)
Bring your appetite and lets have a fun, safe day.
2. Chris Hanson + wife
3. SDMF + wife + son (Zakk)
4. Hatch & Maral
5. Gunny + family
6. dougnpj ?
7. Ogie
8. ChasJK + 2 sons
9. ductape1000
10. Rollbar13 + 3
11. SDSLVRJK + 2
12. PUDDLZ + 3
13. liquidhigh
14. 007JEEP
15. 007JEEP + Guest1
16. 007JEEP + Guest2
17. 007JEEP + Guest3
18. MR LIKA (Full-sized Blazer)
19. MR LIKA (The "Monster")
20. JK Inferno
21. liquidhigh
22. lizandromm + 4
23. CyrusPura
24. 08jk4door
25. Dr.Dirty
26. missb
27. JKCurt
28. crypnite + 1
29. Gunny's Guest
30. GR09BUBI

PLEASE NOTE: If you would like to guarantee yourself a place to sit at/during the BBQ, you will need to bring your own chair(s). Also, we will be hanging outside most of the afternoon/evening during the BBQ, so a sweatshirt or jacket may be needed.

Many thanks to Safari Straps & Outlaw Offroad for providing the main courses for our BBQ on Saturday.

Please, check out Safari Straps and Outlaw Offroad and support these great vendors we have here at JKO. Also, make sure you introduce yourselves to Hatch (Safari Straps) and Bond (Outlaw Offroad) and thank them personally for their outstanding contributions.

On Sunday, October 4, 2009, a group of experienced and well-built rigs are planning on doing a “Most Difficult” trail. It will be an early start, and we will likely depart right from the Cabin that is located in the Sugarloaf area of Big Bear. More information to follow.

Participants for Mottino Wash:
2. Ogie
3. Hatch & Maral
4. ChasJK + 2 sons
5. brokenleaf + 2 kids
6. brokenleaf's buddy (LJ on 40's)
7. JK KRAWLER (marty z)
8. lizandromm + 4
9. CyrusPura
10. 08jk4door
11. JKCurt
12. Woods

Departure time for the Sunday run will be 8:00 AM from Ty's Sugarloaf Cabin.

Your Southern California wheelin' Attorney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 4x4LOYR; 10-02-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 380 Old 09-01-2009, 11:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Thanks for getting this posted, Ty.

For all you new(er) guys, whether you just got your rig or have had it a while and been shy about breaking it in, this is a great opportunity to do just that. These trails are not as difficult as the NSF says, and we will walk you through each and every point. No egos, no taunting, just a fun day and a good learning experience.

And if you don't have them, I recommend getting your NSF Adventure Pass. They are $30 at your local sporting goods store (Big 5, Sport Chalet), or check the NSF website for locations.

And I'm pretty sure Hatch from Safari Straps is going to be on-hand, not just to give advice and offer some great spotting, but to cook us some dinner!!!

Dirty's Minions don't officially exist. They are a myth, a bedtime story, a whispered rumor. They are ghosts.

post #3 of 380 Old 09-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Openly Hostile

Thanks for getting this posted Ty.

Plenty of notice so clear your day and come join us. Between the three of us we have all the recovery gear. White mountain is a very fun trail, I was completely stock the first time I did it. Everyone will have a great time!

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 380 Old 09-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Rock God

put me and my girl down as maybe for Saturday
post #5 of 380 Old 09-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Rock God

I will be there. with

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #6 of 380 Old 09-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Thanks for getting this posted, Ty.

For all you new(er) guys, whether you just got your rig or have had it a while and been shy about breaking it in, this is a great opportunity to do just that. These trails are not as difficult as the NSF says, and we will walk you through each and every point. No egos, no taunting, just a fun day and a good learning experience.

And if you don't have them, I recommend getting your NSF Adventure Pass. They are $30 at your local sporting goods store (Big 5, Sport Chalet), or check the NSF website for locations.

And I'm pretty sure Hatch from Safari Straps is going to be on-hand, not just to give advice and offer some great spotting, but to cook us some dinner!!!
Sorry to hear Puddlz won't be making it

post #7 of 380 Old 09-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
Thanks for getting this posted Ty.

Plenty of notice so clear your day and come join us. Between the three of us we have all the recovery gear. White mountain is a very fun trail, I was completely stock the first time I did it. Everyone will have a great time!
Cool, I'll be following you...
post #8 of 380 Old 09-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverkid View Post
Cool, I'll be following you...
Awesome. Hope you can make it.

Jason
post #9 of 380 Old 09-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Rock God

We are in.
post #10 of 380 Old 09-01-2009, 06:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Put me down as a definite (unless you need to bump me for newbie) and my wife as a maybe.

Vidi, vici, veni

2008 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
post #11 of 380 Old 09-01-2009, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85xlt View Post
put me and my girl down as maybe for Saturday
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnpj View Post
I will be there. with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
We are in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie View Post
Put me down as a definite (unless you need to bump me for newbie) and my wife as a maybe.
Added to the list(s).

post #12 of 380 Old 09-01-2009, 06:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
post #13 of 380 Old 09-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie View Post
No bumping, it doesn't matter how many people come.

Jason
post #14 of 380 Old 09-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Wheeler

I'm in plus 1 if thats ok. My buddy with an Fj...
post #15 of 380 Old 09-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Openly Hostile

Just wanted to add... Drinking alcohol on the trail by the driver will not be tolerated. If you can not enjoy a day of wheeling without consuming alcohol this run is not for you.

We can all enjoy a frosty brew at Ty's after the trail.

Jason
post #16 of 380 Old 09-01-2009, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjammin90 View Post
I'm in plus 1 if thats ok. My buddy with an Fj...
No problem . . . the more then merrier.

Quote:
Just wanted to add... Drinking alcohol on the trail by the driver will not be tolerated. If you can not enjoy a day of wheeling without consuming alcohol this run is not for you.

Good point. Added to the first post. Barley-Pops will be nice and cold back at the cabin.

post #17 of 380 Old 09-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Granite Guru

Ty, I'm in with my two sons...

4dr Unlimited Rubicon - Rescue Green
Poly Performance 4.5" Synergy Stage 3 Suspension System
JE Reel 1350 Jeep JK Front/Rear Driveline With New Yokes
Woods Evap Canister Relocation Kit
37" Toyo MT's
post #18 of 380 Old 09-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasJK View Post
Ty, I'm in with my two sons...
Awesome.

Jason
post #19 of 380 Old 09-01-2009, 09:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

Please be sure to not drive home after your frosty brew--- it can be very dangerous. Especially if you have kids in the car.

HUNDY
'11 VIRGIN 2 dr JK

MILITARY TIRES
Hi Tread MT 37x12.50x16.5 $150 ea!
post #20 of 380 Old 09-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to CDavisJK

I'd like to go. I've been out twice but I feel like I'll still be a newbie for a while. I hope to bring my girlfriend out. But, i think she might get bored. She's not really into cars, or off roading, etc. Is this going to be an all day thing? Any estimate of the time frame?
post #21 of 380 Old 09-01-2009, 09:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnpj View Post
Sorry to hear Puddlz won't be making it
Quote:
Yup, he definitely won't be making it.

Vidi, vici, veni

2008 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
post #22 of 380 Old 09-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100dollarman View Post
Please be sure to not drive home after your frosty brew--- it can be very dangerous. Especially if you have kids in the car.
I never do. If I drink I use a designated driver....aka my wife.

Jason
post #23 of 380 Old 09-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDavisJK View Post
I'd like to go. I've been out twice but I feel like I'll still be a newbie for a while. I hope to bring my girlfriend out. But, i think she might get bored. She's not really into cars, or off roading, etc. Is this going to be an all day thing? Any estimate of the time frame?
It will really depend on how many people sign up, but plan on it taking up most of the day. If you have to bail out after white mountain we can give you directions to get back to pavement.

Jason
post #24 of 380 Old 09-01-2009, 09:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I never do. If I drink I use a designated driver....aka my wife.

For a minute there, I thought someone made you the police!LOL

Good to have a designated driver!

HUNDY
'11 VIRGIN 2 dr JK

MILITARY TIRES
Hi Tread MT 37x12.50x16.5 $150 ea!
post #25 of 380 Old 09-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Rock God

Oh crap here we go again..........

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode