JeepSWAG Afton Canyon Run, with optional camping. Oct. 12th and 13th. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 09-28-2013, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

JeepSWAG Afton Canyon Run, with optional camping. Oct. 12th and 13th.

This run is rated easy to mild. The most difficult parts are driving over some small rocks and a steep decent down a blow sand hill. Stock JK's can handle all of these trails.
Afton Canyon is one of my favorite places to explore. The views are amazing and it shows the best and most beautiful of the California desert. We'll be exploring mines, mountain tops, canyons, grave sites and more.

The run over the Northern rim and through the canyon floor is Sunday October 13th.

Meeting time is 8:30 a.m., departing at 9:00 a.m.

Drive time from Costa Mesa is estimated to be 2 hours and 20 minutes.

MAP OF SUNDAY MORNING MEETING SPOT = GPS Coordinates: 35.05765667519787, -116.39008015394211

DIRECTIONS FROM COSTA MESA TO AFTON CANYON MEETING SPOT

Plan time for and top off your tank in Yermo at: MAP OF YERMO GAS STATIONS

Optional Camping and some Northern rim exploring are scheduled for October 12th.

Camping meeting time is 2:30 p.m., leaving for the camp site at 3:00.

CAMPING MEETING SPOT (this is the meeting spot, not the camp site. Navigation to the camp site is difficult, so we will drive in as a group)

PM your cell number to me and I'll reply back with mine.

I've organized Afton Canyon Runs, the last three years. Each of those runs have been three days with two nights of camping. Many Jeepers have come for just one of the days. These runs have all been at the end of January or beginning of February. Winter camping in Afton Canyon is challenging. Winter nights get down to sub 20 degree temps, so it's not camping for the faint of heart. This given, we are splitting the trip into two shorter Fall and Spring runs.

Weather for Mid October is expected to be a Hi of 88° and a lo of 56°. The record temps for these days have been a Hi of 100° and lo of 46°.

In the Spring we will do a run over the Southern Rim and some trails between Afton Canyon and Barstow.

[size=18pt]Post up, if you're in![/size]

Sunday Run Only
1. J.R.
2. BigSteve

Camping and Sunday Run
1. Woods - Camping
2. 100Dollarman - Camping
3. Deepwater

Maybe:

Some pictures from past AC runs:

Spooky Canyon - Note the girl at the bottom:

Chupacabra?:

Found this guy in a mine:

Mojave River

[/QUOTE]

Woods Storage Tub Enlargement Kit - Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit - Evap Can Relocation Kit Muffler Relocation Kit - Tailgate Shock Kit
Buy Woods Kits at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Wheeler

Hi,
I'll join you guys on Saturday and camp out Saturday night. Love the canyon and am looking forward to some of the spots that I have missed in the past. Weather forecast is looking to be ideal.

Mike

We've got em surrounded now boys!: Custer, 1876
post #3 of 3 Old 10-08-2013, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Good deal.

Yeah, forecast is low to mid 80's. Bring the sunscreen.

There's a lot to see outside the canyon. Will show ya some cool stuff for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwater View Post
Hi,
I'll join you guys on Saturday and camp out Saturday night. Love the canyon and am looking forward to some of the spots that I have missed in the past. Weather forecast is looking to be ideal.

Mike

Woods Storage Tub Enlargement Kit - Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit - Evap Can Relocation Kit Muffler Relocation Kit - Tailgate Shock Kit
Buy Woods Kits at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode