Warning: Big yawns ahead - a build by snout - Page 2 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #26 of 43 Old 08-07-2018, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
So, it's been almost a month since my knee injury. Ruptured MCL and torn meniscus, followed up by a major infection and sepsis. Spent some time in the hospital sucking down antibiotics. Still can't really walk and it's making me nuts. My Dr. isn't sure how much stability my knee will have when the dust settles. They do not seem too keen on surgery. I'm wondering when I'll be able to hop into my Jeep again. bleah.
oh, f*ck. As hilarious as you are ( & as awesome as this build thread is getting-off on it's start) THAT ain't no joke, dude.I am really sorry if you have had to go through that. My son ( 12) is a traveling ballplayer and has been down for this entire season after tearing his ACL on a bicycle last Summer, so I am fully aware of the nastiness. Personally, and possibly stupidly, I still longboard every evening at 10pm ( after dark so no one can see an old man falling off a Landyachtz ) at 50 years of age & actually tweaked my freaking right MCL ( did not tear but even bruising/slight hyper-extensions take me longer to heal these days than the lightning healing I experienced at 25yrs old) a few months ago. It has bugged the crap out of me so I can only imagine how much that is driving you bonkers. At least you are on the mend.
Did the infection occur because of hospital or just a freak accident? That would have got me crazed more than the knee thing.

that truly sucks and am super sorry.
If you just get those hanging Jeep straps , you can pull yourself up into the thing; that is what I do. These things can support 500-600lbs & I have pulled myself up in with just my arms before...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27 of 43 Old 08-07-2018, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
you can go piss up a rope

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
oh, f*ck. As hilarious as you are ( & as awesome as this build thread is getting-off on it's start) THAT ain't no joke, dude.I am really sorry if you have had to go through that. My son ( 12) is a traveling ballplayer and has been down for this entire season after tearing his ACL on a bicycle last Summer, so I am fully aware of the nastiness. Personally, and possibly stupidly, I still longboard every evening at 10pm ( after dark so no one can see an old man falling off a Landyachtz ) at 50 years of age & actually tweaked my freaking right MCL ( did not tear but even bruising/slight hyper-extensions take me longer to heal these days than the lightning healing I experienced at 25yrs old) a few months ago. It has bugged the crap out of me so I can only imagine how much that is driving you bonkers. At least you are on the mend.
Did the infection occur because of hospital or just a freak accident? That would have got me crazed more than the knee thing.

that truly sucks and am super sorry.
If you just get those hanging Jeep straps , you can pull yourself up into the thing; that is what I do. These things can support 500-600lbs & I have pulled myself up in with just my arms before...

Good for you on the longboard. That's nothing to be ashamed of. The leg infection is a bit of a mystery but I will tell you the most likely story, which is what my physician and both the ER DR agree is the most likely cause.

I do all of my work on my Jeep in my driveway. My driveway is about 30+ years old and is cracked and lost it's smooth finish. Think of working on a layer of abrasive aggregate. Stupid me, I'm usually working out there in a tshirt and shorts and my leg was pretty much rubbed raw from the driveway. I had a few cuts and scrapes that I did not think anything off. My leg was red and tight for a few days and I just assumed it was because of all the rolling around. My knee went out and then things got really bad. It swelled up, got hot and then my skin started bubbling up and oozing. It was almost like the skin was dying. Now that I'm on antibiotics, I can see it getting better, however, my lower leg is completely covered in scabs from the sores. Pretty nasty. Lesson learned - work in coveralls.

I have those straps and they definitely help, however, my knee is probably a few weeks away from being able to handle the stability to hop in. I hope. Right now, I cheat and use a step stool to get in and start it up every few days. Just pushing in the clutch pedal is agony.

I can't work under my Jeep so I'm working on something else. A still to make fuel for my lawnmower. I'm building the boiler from a half keg. Working on burning on the ferrules for heating elements, cleaning, etc. I've never used tig on 304 stainless before so I'm taking a crash course.
post #28 of 43 Old 08-08-2018, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

holy mother of us all .
I guess I won’t be lyin in the rough surfaced driveway in cargo shorts any more , workin on one of these Jeeps. 90% of time , I throw some flattened cardboard box down or one of those oil soak mats. But , still , I do the exact same thing. Heck, it coulda been bird poo or a cat piss or a metal shaving that got in there & an already infected area swells from that then you tear the mcl and you’re in a bad situation. I’m glad you are mending and my wife sggted you’re fortunate your leg is still there! Again, srry ya went thru that.

I’m thinking that fuel purifier for your briggs&stratton is a slammin cool project for while you mend. For chrissake don’t “blow yerself-up ,real-good !” ( remember that from SCTV?
) while purifying the petrol, dude.

Here’s hopin you’re all healed as quick as possible .
Now that the trucks a reality , I’m in initial planning phase for towin the rig out on it to meet you & some other friends out West ,see me some of the bristlecone pine groves & where Donner party dined & possibly attend next year’s JKCON or somethin , so get better !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 08-08-2018 at 06:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29 of 43 Old 08-08-2018, 10:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
holy mother of us all .
I guess I won’t be lyin in the rough surfaced driveway in cargo shorts any more , workin on one of these Jeeps. 90% of time , I throw some flattened cardboard box down or one of those oil soak mats. But , still , I do the exact same thing. Heck, it coulda been bird poo or a cat piss or a metal shaving that got in there & an already infected area swells from that then you tear the mcl and you’re in a bad situation. I’m glad you are mending and my wife sggted you’re fortunate your leg is still there! Again, srry ya went thru that.

I’m thinking that fuel purifier for your briggs&stratton is a slammin cool project for while you mend. For chrissake don’t “blow yerself-up ,real-good !” ( remember that from SCTV? https://youtu.be/uHkvD7-u7y8) while purifying the petrol, dude.

Here’s hopin you’re all healed as quick as possible .
Now that the trucks a reality , I’m in initial planning phase for towin the rig out on it to meet you & some other friends out West ,see me some of the bristlecone pine groves & where Donner party dined & possibly attend next year’s JKCON or somethin , so get better !

Scary to be sure. I always throw on jean's when doing work but it can be a hot compromise.

There is a fellow in South Jersey who is in Hospice from complications he has due to an infection that he got crabbing in a river.....lost a few limbs and it's still spreading.

Hope the healing continues/get better

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #30 of 43 Old 08-08-2018, 10:39 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
So, it's been almost a month since my knee injury. Ruptured MCL and torn meniscus, followed up by a major infection and sepsis. Spent some time in the hospital sucking down antibiotics. Still can't really walk and it's making me nuts. My Dr. isn't sure how much stability my knee will have when the dust settles. They do not seem too keen on surgery. I'm wondering when I'll be able to hop into my Jeep again. bleah.
Holy fuck, congratulations on not dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #31 of 43 Old 08-11-2018, 10:58 AM
Wheeler

Holy chit Snout! That is some scary stuff. Glad to hear you are slowly getting ahead of it with all your pieces intact.
post #32 of 43 Old 08-12-2018, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Appreciate the well-wishes, sirs.

Still going nuts hopping around on one leg. It has given me time to finish up some work on my bike, not that I can ride the f'n thing without feeling like someone stuck a fork in my knee.

I have a '15 FLHXS that was 100% stock.
I went with the V&H touring "horsepower kit", which includes (amongst some other useless crap):
- Headers (no complaints)
- X-Pipe (including gay-ass leaky squashed crossover)
- Slip ons (I gutted them, hate how they look and will replace them)
- Air Intake with some goofy cover I tossed and replaced with a plain cap.
- V&H 575 cams (mild) + pushrods.
- V&H Fuelpack tuner (Diet Coke level tuner)

Also swapped out my handlebars for 12" mini apes. Wiring was a royal PITA.
Anyways, after all that work, I don't feel a difference. It's a Harley, they just make a bunch of fucking noise and don't go anywhere. $3,000 in bolt on junk and no real noticeable improvement. Figures.

Last edited by snout; 08-12-2018 at 08:23 PM.
post #33 of 43 Old 10-05-2018, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Moving 3VOL's quote over here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3VOL View Post
I'll quit crapping up your for sale thread after this reply of course

How are you dealing with the sway bar light? I considered going regular disconnects but that damn light gave me pause. I wound up just leaving it in place and doing regular links.
Glad to hear your knee is doing better. I'm assuming they got all the other stuff under control too. I hope I didnt come across as pestering. Wasn't my intention at all. I just wanted to let everyone who might look at the post know you weren't a fly by night, ne'er-do-well.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited to hear you're going to send me happiness in a box though. I got the rear on back in July and it is easily in the top 5 changes I've made. I still owe you from that one so get me a total when all said and done and I'll gift you the amount through PayPal or whatever your preferred method is.
Just living with the light for now. I'm going to pick up an AEV Procal and, if possible, sell my Flashcal. Wish I could sell my leg but it's still hanging in there, size and color of a watermelon and all.

I didn't prime / paint my sliders before the rain this week. Not sure if I should leave them or blast them and paint them. Right now if you get near my Jeep you will need a tetanus shot.

The VKS bumper cap just kinda bugged me so I pulled it off and tossed it in the trash.
Also need to deal with those gussets but I'm out of wire and have been too lazy to order up a new spool. I'm always curious which wire people like to use. I usually run .030 Hobart ER70S-6.

Last edited by snout; 10-05-2018 at 08:53 PM.
post #34 of 43 Old 11-24-2018, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Loot Cam:

Got to meet White13JKUR and geberhard while picking up goodies, which was really cool. Great guys.

Also scored this lift off CL for a screaming deal. It just needed a little bit of work to get it working safely.

First time I fired it up, one of the rams jizzed ATF all over me, which was really nice. New o-rings and polishing a rough spot on one of the rams seemed to fix it. Now it goes up and down jizz-free. When things dry out I'll shoot a new coat of paint and flush the pump / lines.
j3ff3ry_j33p and White13JKUR like this.
post #35 of 43 Old 02-24-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Working on steering before JKCON. One question I have is, how much play should a bracket have for a heim joint? I added a single washer to add some space, however, I'm not sure if there is a good rule of thumb to follow. Here's how I have it set up for now. I still need to prep these for welding. I also thought Id add a little piece across the hypotenuse of the triangle for some added strength. Probably just over-thinking shit as usual.

post #36 of 43 Old 02-24-2019, 07:52 PM
JKO Addict!

You don't need any play on a steering ram.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #37 of 43 Old 02-24-2019, 09:35 PM
Wheeler

How do you like using that scissor lift for the jk?
post #38 of 43 Old 02-25-2019, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

man, I wish I lived closer to y'all so I could experience meetings like that. Cool to put the person to these forum identities we've all known so long!

I agree w @thedirtman ; the only " play" I can attest to in my steering ram is the intended vertical-arc swing that the heim-joint allows from it's ball. It's solid and immobile apart from that. I'm thinking what you've got laid out in pict to-be welded will be more than ample.
Nice !

post #39 of 43 Old 02-26-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ridder View Post
How do you like using that scissor lift for the jk?
Glad you asked. I'm bummed to admit it but it does not do me a whole lot of good on the JKU. While it's awesome having a legitimate (BendPak) portable lift, it definitely has it's cons. Let me outline them below:

Pros:
- Absolutely no problem lifting a 6,000lb vehicle to 48" + lifting pad height
- Extremely safe and stable. Even if the physical lift lock failed, both rams would also have to empty before it came down.
- Great for front end or rear end work. I did Engine oil, new bushings, balljoints, control arms, coilovers, CV axles and front diff fluid on my 4Runner without ever having to lay on the ground or bend in an awkward angle. Worth it for that job alone.
- It's portable.
- I put down a couple sheets of plywood and use it as a motorcycle table / extra work table.
- I've used it as a scaffold, a liftgate and other oddball uses, which have been handy.

Cons:
- It's f'n heavy. While portable, you will get a workout moving it around. If you need to transport it, you will need a way to lift it (i.e. forks).
- The lift is designed to sit between the wheel-width of the vehicle, so you have to fiddle with the adjustable arms to find s spot where both the lift is centered under the Jeep's CG + the lifting points align with the frame. What does that mean? It means you get zero access between differentials and limited access to the frame rails. That means I couldn't use the lift to remove my factory control arm brackets and install long arm brackets. I would need a post lift to get the clearance around the frame rails.

In summary, it's nice to have but it's not what I thought it would be.
If you're in Northern CA, I'm open to selling it.
post #40 of 43 Old 03-08-2019, 08:11 PM
Wheeler

Thank you for taking the time to list out your pros and cons! I had been looking at them for my small garage and these were the exact answers I was looking for.
post #41 of 43 Old 08-08-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ridder View Post
Thank you for taking the time to list out your pros and cons! I had been looking at them for my small garage and these were the exact answers I was looking for.
So, a bit of an update.
I built slightly taller posts lift the Jeep a bit higher above the lift arms. This got it high enough to let me do long arms, drop the fuel tank, drive shafts and work on the axles. It's ended up working out great. Looks like newer BendPak scissors come with the tall posts.

Quote:
y’aller quenchin' with beer
post #42 of 43 Old 08-09-2019, 07:41 AM
Rock God

I have the same scissor lift and yes, its great for rotating tires but gets in the way for pretty much anything else under it. It beats jacks and jack stands any day though.

You just use DOM tubing to extend the adapters?

2007 JKU Sahara........................... 2015 JKU Sahara
5.3/6l80E......................................2.5" Rock Krawler Expedition Stage-1
Teraflex 44 front, Stock 44 rear........35's
Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
post #43 of 43 Old 01-12-2020, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D94R View Post
I have the same scissor lift and yes, its great for rotating tires but gets in the way for pretty much anything else under it. It beats jacks and jack stands any day though.

You just use DOM tubing to extend the adapters?
Exactamundo. Made life easier when I did my long arms.
I’m going to put it up for sale in nor cal trade / sale if anyone is interested.
Also have some TR beadlocks and some other interesting items for sale.

Quote:
y’aller quenchin' with beer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode