Shredder Part 1: the carnage! 3/11/12 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-12-2012, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
RIP Brad

Garage
Shredder Part 1: the carnage! 3/11/12

So DD and myself go and hit a local little spot that has it's name for a reason... and I present to you, just that very reason! A little conceptual miscalculation on a trail's width that leaves little room for error (and backing out), you get this. I assume there is video of the process that will show up sooner or later, but for now... the result!

20120311_SHREDDER099.mp4 - YouTube

So with this new bit of desert striping, I think I'll be starting to seriously study CJCRAIG's rear end and possibly something similar for the front too? Hmm... I guess my decision to buy a tow rig could have come at no better time! lol

Also... more video to follow. Surly a DD special as well as one of my own. :thumb:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Ouch! Sometimes your the shit and sometimes your the stains.

Welcome to Shredder Canyon

It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-12-2012, 03:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Damn dude!

Just bolt some rail road ties to it.

Win!

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-12-2012, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSIZE View Post
Ouch! Sometimes your the shit and sometimes your the stains.

Welcome to Shredder Canyon
No shit.... next time you come along!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrahawk View Post
Damn dude!

Just bolt some rail road ties to it.

Win!
lol... I fucked up on this one, but it was sooooo fun trying.

Here is a pic of the beginning of the squeeze that DD took..... which doesn't look that bad, but gets tighter than the JK at a spot or two (and no way to back out!?!?).

post #5 of 16 Old 03-12-2012, 03:19 PM
JKO Addict!

haha and guys want to know if you can stand on top of a set of flares.
That video answers the question to what gives first.

Looking forward to the rest of the shots.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-12-2012, 03:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I rehosted the image for you.

Also if there ever was a case for plastic fenders I believe this would have been it ... at least for the front damage.

Info:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by binarypie; 03-12-2012 at 03:32 PM.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-12-2012, 03:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
lol... I fucked up on this one, but it was sooooo fun trying.

Here is a pic of the beginning of the squeeze that DD took..... which doesn't look that bad, but gets tighter than the JK at a spot or two (and no way to back out!?!?).

Funny how times like this lead us to new modifications, a similar event led to my rear coilovers being relocated to the top of my rear axle lol.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Rock God

And people still want to argue with me that steel fenders are awesome and won't create body damage.

Awesome carnage though, LOVE the carnage!

Some of mine from a few months ago:

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #9 of 16 Old 03-12-2012, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
RIP Brad

Garage

Yep.... in this case the plastic would have fared better than the metal, but the force was likely a rearward push to have caused what occurred on the front. I'll know more once I have some time to take it all apart and see the actual video if captured.

And yes TERRAHAWK.... upgrade time! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk JK View Post
Awesome carnage though, LOVE the carnage!

Some of mine from a few months ago
I was hoping someone would and could appreciate this. lol. But damn dude... I might have to up my game to get that kind of damage!
post #10 of 16 Old 03-12-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
the force was likely a rearward push to have caused what occurred on the front. I'll know more once I have some time to take it all apart and see the actual video if captured.
While I haven't yet had time to take apart the front corner to see what's going on, I have watched the video clip of what looks to be when the front got mangled. It was under forward momentum with a 20 foot tall rock wedged in underneath, pushing rearward. From what I can tell now, it surely wasn't anything wrong with the way the flare worked, more likely the way the driver was working. I am interested in seeing how the inner brace held up though. DD was wondering aloud if the brace bent... so I am interested in getting it apart to see. Even if it failed, I am not really sure this type of force would have fallen into it's or anyone's design category.

And no silly.... I wasn't wedged on top of that big ass rock.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Rock God

Damn thats a tight fit. Great job bud.

My JKO BLACK WIDOW BUILD THREAD:

Big Thanks to Jason at

In process: One TONS, 44" Tires, Comp CUT,
Strertched, Hydro Assist, TF 6" LA,
Chromoly TR Beadlocks,
Katskins, and more!
post #12 of 16 Old 03-13-2012, 11:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

LOL oops!

but I still feel obligated to point out this quote...
Quote:
I think I'll be starting to seriously study CJCRAIG's rear end

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #13 of 16 Old 03-13-2012, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
RIP Brad

Garage

He's got a lot of tubing back there... who wouldn't want to? Lol
post #14 of 16 Old 03-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Rock God

I wish I would have got my thinning the way you got yours. I was coming out of the Rubicon last year when you were going in. I was beat and tired and hauling ass. I get right near the Loon exit and an 4-runner decides to explode it front knuckle assembly in the middle of the trail. No going off-trail on the Rubicon of course. State parks guy shows up and decide to create a one way detour through two large pine trees... about six inches thinner than the Metal Cloak (REV) flairs on my JK. I am in line with fifty rigs and no way of backing out.

I stuck my nose in and hammered it. My version of the Shredder.

That body damage is going to be tough to straighten out. Hurts to look at it!
post #15 of 16 Old 03-13-2012, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcraig7 View Post
I wish I would have got my thinning the way you got yours. I was coming out of the Rubicon last year when you were going in. I was beat and tired and hauling ass. I get right near the Loon exit and an 4-runner decides to explode it front knuckle assembly in the middle of the trail. No going off-trail on the Rubicon of course. State parks guy shows up and decide to create a one way detour through two large pine trees... about six inches thinner than the Metal Cloak (REV) flairs on my JK. I am in line with fifty rigs and no way of backing out.

I stuck my nose in and hammered it. My version of the Shredder.

That body damage is going to be tough to straighten out. Hurts to look at it!
Damn dude.... glad I missed that! I guess it was just a mile behind us as I think we passed you with the PP guys around the outhouse... very close to the Loon entrance. But.... look what you got now. Making all us boys jealous! Not sure I am going as bad ass as you did yours (probably keep the frame), but I hope you don't mind if I steal ideas.

I spoke with my fab guy today and after looking at yours, he felt doing a full custom cage and tubing the rear end will run around 1500. DAMN.... I was expecting much more. So this will become a reality sooner than I thought. Just have to put together the cage on paper, make sure he's happy with it and see his changes, then start the cutting!

And oh yeah.... I also ordered my tow rig. 6-10 weeks they claim... so which will be done/ready first? Taking bets!

The front is now my concern. Might have to tube it out as well?!?!
post #16 of 16 Old 03-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Damn dude.... glad I missed that! I guess it was just a mile behind us as I think we passed you with the PP guys around the outhouse... very close to the Loon entrance. But.... look what you got now. Making all us boys jealous! Not sure I am going as bad ass as you did yours (probably keep the frame), but I hope you don't mind if I steal ideas.

I spoke with my fab guy today and after looking at yours, he felt doing a full custom cage and tubing the rear end will run around 1500. DAMN.... I was expecting much more. So this will become a reality sooner than I thought. Just have to put together the cage on paper, make sure he's happy with it and see his changes, then start the cutting!

And oh yeah.... I also ordered my tow rig. 6-10 weeks they claim... so which will be done/ready first? Taking bets!

The front is now my concern. Might have to tube it out as well?!?!
I really struggled cutting my in half, but I hated to do all that work without addressing the shock mounting issue as well. But you could probably just do a good frame mod and handle it.

Whatever you do now you will be cutting it off in a couple years anyway, so our conversation now may be moot.

Remember - measure once and cut three times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode