Shenandoah National Park - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 01-19-2012, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Shenandoah National Park

Im planning on a short 3-4 day vacation over Easter weekend...thinking about Shenandoah...been there as a kid, but not lately...
Any areas around the park for some offroad trails?
-nothing crazy but the girl and i would like to go out for a relaxing afternoon
Also any recommendations on lodging...cabins would be sweet but hotels would work too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Eat Liquid Gold"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-19-2012, 07:23 AM
Rock God

I was there about three years ago and didn't notice any ORV trails. Lots of hiking trails. I stayed at the lodge and it was a very enjoyable stay. If you do stay there you either have to bring food or eat at their restaurant which was pretty good but pricey as you might expect. Or you can take a drive into one of the towns. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

2012 SLV JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #3 of 17 Old 01-19-2012, 07:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've been up there a couple times and have not noticed any ORV trails.

I've done the Skyline Drive on my motorcycle and it's a very scenic road. Not off road but fun.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-19-2012, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Yea I plan on going hiking to the multiple water falls and staying at the skyline resort in one of the rooms the cool thing is they have pet friendly rooms and my pup loves being out in the woods so that should be cool...and we plan on doing luray caverns too...

I had seen a shenandoah valley jeep/4x4 club website but I can't seem to find out where they wheel...I wanted to bring my jk but if I can't find any trails in the area (legal) well end up taking the WK plus its a little more roomy...

Thanks for the info! ill probably keep this bumped for awhile till we make our final decision

Sent from Skynet

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #5 of 17 Old 01-19-2012, 03:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Have hiked there but no wheeling. GW nat forest has some wheeling and hiking wild oak trail and ramseys draft are two of my alltime favorite hikes.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #6 of 17 Old 01-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Rock God

Garage

I did 2 days on Skyline Drive this past August before heading down the Blue Ridge Parkway into the Smoky Mountains. Great trip. Saw a few places that looked like you could turn off the main path, but mostly were maintenance roads and/or chained off. Don't worry though, it's a nice enough drive that you can overlook the fact that you are on paved roads. I've always camped there at Big Meadows, but the lodging there looks nice too. The front of Big Meadows has a wayside store that serves breakfast, lunch, & dinner and the Lodge itself has a dining room.

Just a tip, some of the hiking trails tend to be a little longer in distance and time then they list on the maps. Plan some extra time & bring some extra water.

Also, take the Jeep! With the slower speed limits you can actually get good mpg's. Plus, you wouldn't be able to do this:

(This picture was actually on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but same idea)

post #7 of 17 Old 01-19-2012, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fklein6768 View Post
Have hiked there but no wheeling. GW nat forest has some wheeling and hiking wild oak trail and ramseys draft are two of my alltime favorite hikes.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
would you recommend GW over shenandoah? minus the wheeling thats an unfair advantage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klink View Post
I did 2 days on Skyline Drive this past August before heading down the Blue Ridge Parkway into the Smoky Mountains. Great trip. Saw a few places that looked like you could turn off the main path, but mostly were maintenance roads and/or chained off. Don't worry though, it's a nice enough drive that you can overlook the fact that you are on paved roads. I've always camped there at Big Meadows, but the lodging there looks nice too. The front of Big Meadows has a wayside store that serves breakfast, lunch, & dinner and the Lodge itself has a dining room.

Just a tip, some of the hiking trails tend to be a little longer in distance and time then they list on the maps. Plan some extra time & bring some extra water.

Also, take the Jeep! With the slower speed limits you can actually get good mpg's. Plus, you wouldn't be able to do this:

(This picture was actually on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but same idea)
thanks for the tip

id love to camp or get one of the cabins but the idea of not having a fridge, indoor plumbing, etc for 4 days is not up my girls alley...2 nights at batona is enough for her! im working her up to more rustic adventures...

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #8 of 17 Old 01-19-2012, 10:24 PM
Rock God

Garage

The campground there has decent bathrooms and a shower house if that helps win her over.

post #9 of 17 Old 01-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Rock God

Skyline lodge is where I stayed. Very nice there. Just remember there are bears around if you do take your pup.

2012 SLV JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #10 of 17 Old 01-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Wheeler

They are two trails off the blue ridge parkway that you can do, you will be entering the parkway on the top of afton moutain off I64, one is big levels and the trail head is right off the parkway not sure the mile marker. And the outher is crabtree falls and you can take the rt 56 off the parkway and it is about 20 minutes you will find the trail head on the right , it is just passed the little town montibllo I would say just a mile or so.You can get a topo map and it will lead you where you need to be. Sorry I dont have more info .
post #11 of 17 Old 01-20-2012, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbot10142 View Post
They are two trails off the blue ridge parkway that you can do, you will be entering the parkway on the top of afton moutain off I64, one is big levels and the trail head is right off the parkway not sure the mile marker. And the outher is crabtree falls and you can take the rt 56 off the parkway and it is about 20 minutes you will find the trail head on the right , it is just passed the little town montibllo I would say just a mile or so.You can get a topo map and it will lead you where you need to be. Sorry I dont have more info .

That's a whole lot more info than I have found so far! Thank you. How's the trail...is it passable with one rubi and a female spotter?

Sent from Skynet

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #12 of 17 Old 01-20-2012, 04:39 PM
Wheeler

You will have no problem with the rubi . I have a 08 rubi and been on both trails with factory tires and I dont think you will need a sprotter. You can hike to the falls on cabtree falls Ive heard that is a nice walk to the falls .
post #13 of 17 Old 01-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Wheeler

Go here...http://www.odjeeps.com. Big Levels (Stoney Run/Bald Rock), Shoe Creek (Crabtree Falls), Peters Mill, Flag Pole, Second Mtn, Dictum's Ridge are but a few trails that are close to the Parkway and The Drive. If you search these names on the interwebs you'll find more plus directions to all of these. Also search Motor Vehicle Use Map George Washington and Jefferson
National Forests, these are good maps of these two spots and they are in PDF. Have fun, it's pretty down here!

Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying and dying don't sound like all that much fun to me
post #14 of 17 Old 01-28-2012, 01:55 PM
JKO Addict!

The trees are bigger there. And the mud is blacker. And beer is harder to find. Be careful take a cooler. Don't dehydrate!

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #15 of 17 Old 02-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Rock God

Garage

Headed down to the same area on March 30 til the next Friday. Thanks for the info, all I could find were ATV trails.

Ryan

BAM. Me, "wonder what that was?" Tom, "pretty sure it was the top of something coming into contact with the bottom of your Jeep."
Jersey
Crew
post #16 of 17 Old 02-01-2012, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

awesome info continues to come...ryan youre gonna be leavin as i get down...you should stay sat and sunday well do some wheeling and hiking

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #17 of 17 Old 02-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Rock God

Garage

Don't tempt me. I don't like disappointing the wife and kids....

Ryan

BAM. Me, "wonder what that was?" Tom, "pretty sure it was the top of something coming into contact with the bottom of your Jeep."
Jersey
Crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in