Already Dented my A.C.E. Rails! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Already Dented my A.C.E. Rails!

Before you read into it, this is NOT a complaint against A.C.E.!!

Had them for two weeks. We were out at Catahoula Recreation in Sicily Island, LA last Saturday and there's a particular climb that has two options. The straight climb is rated at a 3, for the guys who are adventurous but want to drive to work the next day. I made that climb a week after I bought my Jeep. This time I had a full EVO skid system, ACE rails, PSC bumper, etc. It was time to step up my game a bit.

So I took the route that veers to the right. The one that gave a front/rear locked TJ (with 5.5" lift and 35s) some trouble. No one else wanted to try it, but I figure if I'm not pushing my limits once in a while, I'll never learn to drive better. I had to move a couple rocks here and there, but was making it up pretty well when I hit the mother load of issues. Front tires in mud, rear left tire trying to crest a root 15" off the rock it was on... and my belly pan was sitting on a rock, keeping all four tires from getting enough traction. The ACE rails were the only reason the tree (belonging to the root blocking my rear tire) wasn't all up in my doors. I had to get pulled about a foot off that rock and made the rest of it on my own, but bottom line, I didn't make the climb unassisted. I digress... the rail damage came before that point.

About a quarter of the way from the bottom I was working my way up a rock when things shifted. Not in a, "let off the throttle or you're going to slide into that tree" kind of shift. This was more of a, "Holy shit hang onto your nuts and hope you don't die when this bitch rolls the fuck over" kind of shift. Had I had a bigger breakfast it's possible I'd have needed to change my pants. Of course, this happened while the video guy was repositioning to get a better angle, thank god. My wife would have strangled me if she saw me subject my Jeep to that. It felt like I was falling to the driver side about two feet, at which point it was all on where I hit that determined whether I flopped over. Given the location and position of the Jeep, a sideways flop could have easily led to a roll. At least, that's the way it felt from my point of view, which was somewhat exaggerated by my uncontrollable urge to scream like a little bitch.

What happened was the rocks under my left rear tire decided to relocate while my left front tire was airborne, thus the fall. Fortunately (and I use that term pretty damn loosely) there was a boulder to my left that was positioned just right to catch my ACE rail on the way down, which gave enough drag to allow the right side of the Jeep to settle down instead of sending me into a version of divorced I don't want to face just yet.

In the drop, the ACE rails took a ding about the size of a quarter. After washing them off yesterday I discovered I rashed off a large portion of the powdercoat, too. That said, that's what these rails are designed for- to take the abuse and save my body from seeing the damage. I didn't even realize the dent until I was at work this morning showing off the missing coating and my co-worker (who sold me on these rails to begin with) pointed out it was dinged. To say the rails saved my life would be a far stretch of the imagination, but had they not been there, the boulder would have definitely been all up in my rocker panel, door, and then fender as I slid backward.

After that, I was intentionally putting them against rocks and trees just to see what they could hold up to and all I did was scuff up the coating more. They are DEFINITELY very high quality pieces and I've recommended them to everyone I know who is looking for a set of rails. I was just hoping I'd get by a bit longer before I battle scarred them.

Here's the video one of the guys threw together from his HD camera... it's long, so it should help kill a good bit of work day for those of you with nothing better to do. At 14:15 you can see where the rock hit on the front end of the rail. That point is where I had to get tugged, but fortunately the guy who cut the video was considerate enough to not show me getting winched.

Sicily Island 1 14 12 - YouTube

1988 Wrangler YJ, Q78-15s, some of this, some of that...
2014 Grand Cherokee Limited, EcoDiesel, RWD...
2013 RAM 1500 4x4, more buttons that I'm usually allowed to touch...
2007 JK X, just getting started...

Last edited by Freshmeat; 01-16-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 11:10 AM
JKowners Vendor

Man, that is awesome! Great story too. I am glad the ACE Sliders saved your lift, doors, and marriage!!!!

-Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #3 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

In the end, they can all be replaced, right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 11:28 AM
JKowners Vendor

Well your life may be hard to do but....?

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #5 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Eh. Life wasn't in danger, just felt like it from the driver seat. One of those situations where once you're out of it and look back you kinda have to tell yourself to not be such a bitch next time.

post #6 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Rock God

Watched the same thing happen here locally with a JK on ACE rails. I can't imagine what that hit would have done to the pillars, doors and rockers had they not been there.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I normally wheel with extreme caution. I bought all the armor for those "in case" situations. But Saturday, I was looking at the chance to push myself... and looking at all my armor... and figured... "What the Hell?" It's armored up, so how much damage can I really do as long as I'm still reasonable with the throttle?

Now the ACE rails need to come back off for a full repaint, but it was a lot of fun and I learned a bit more about what to look for before attacking a climb.

post #8 of 12 Old 02-07-2012, 11:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

It says the video has been blocked on copyright grounds.....WTF

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #9 of 12 Old 02-09-2012, 03:40 AM
Granite Guru

Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_fjizzle View Post
It says the video has been blocked on copyright grounds.....WTF
After seeing this, I just had to try it anyway.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-09-2012, 04:22 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmeat View Post
Eh. Life wasn't in danger, just felt like it from the driver seat. One of those situations where once you're out of it and look back you kinda have to tell yourself to not be such a bitch next time.
A good cage helps a lot with the not being a bitch.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-09-2012, 04:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
A good cage helps a lot with the not being a bitch.
I usually try to reserve mine for the times where I should have been a bitch. I'd prefer not to use the cage.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Granite Guru

Video does not work.
"This video contains content from WMG and UMG, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
Sorry about that."

What songs did you have in this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode