Trip Report: Jacks Pass Snow Run - 10Dec2011 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 12-13-2011, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Trip Report: Jacks Pass Snow Run - 10Dec2011

So, myself and some friends tagged along with CORE 4x4 who hosted a Jacks Pass trail run. I was the only JK of the bunch. The guys we met of CORE were a great bunch and very knowledgeable. We aired down as soon as the snow started to build up as we climbed in altitude. Initially there were no real problems, until we hit a very sharp and inclined turn with some soft snow. I have driven in snow plenty, but never in 4 feet deep snow, so deep snow wheeling was new to me. I was using a little too much throttle and got myself buried/sliding off the more compact areas. What I'm used to calling a little throttle was still too much for this very dry powdery snow.

After getting buried about 3 times in a row, I finally started getting the hang of it with some advice from the CORE guys like Cecil. Just gotta give very short quick feathery blips of the throttle to try and float above the snow. Any wheel spin in the slightest landed you buried. There were about 15 or so vehicles total, but mostly the front 5 or 6 got seperated from the rest of the pack for most of the day.

Overall, it was a good trip, got to play in the snow, do some recoveries, and we all posed around a snow covered bridge. I learned alot my first time in the deep snow.

Sadly, most of the pictures are only of us burying into the snow, not many action shots. But it was a great day with great views.

-My wife was helping us get unstuck by taking pictures of me shoveling....thanks!

-Brett
---------------------------------------------
My Jeep: 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 6-Spd Manual, Cosmos Blue
"The Smurf":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous Jeeps:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-13-2011, 03:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Awesome pictures! I am looking forward to a few snow wheeling trips over the holidays. Thanks for sharing.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Looks cold but fun - great pics

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-14-2011, 05:59 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to redneckjk

Like Kev said, looks cold but fun.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-14-2011, 06:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sweet!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #6 of 6 Old 12-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Wheeler

looks like a good time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode