Hidden Falls Adventure Park (Austin, Tx) 10/22-23/11 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old 10-23-2011, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Hidden Falls Adventure Park (Austin, Tx) 10/22-23/11

So Stigo and I met up for a day of wheeling at Hidden Falls this weekend, and I had already made plans to camp the night with my wife and daughter, and brought my little sister along as well to play with my kid. I had also decided that today was going to be a day, and that my wife needed to learn how to do some wheelin', so she was behind the wheel all day. This was her first time really doing anything offroad, and I must say, she did spectacular! Stigo had gone the weekend before with Marcus from RCO, but due to mechanical issues, they didnt get to do many trails. I told him we could start off with a "fun" trail I decided to go up to the top of the hill and do Wildcat in reverse, which is a level 4/5 trail.

After this section, we got into an extremely flexy part of the trail, and we ended up ripping the smittybilt steel fenders off the rear passenger side, so we went ahead and pulled off both rears as that was really the only thing that was contacting hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 10-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Rock God

Looks like a good time.
post #3 of 43 Old 10-23-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

So after we got the fenders off after some more and cussing, the kids were ready to go hit some more trails.

So at this point, the only "damage" was the rear fenders getting torn off, which hadnt really done anything. We drove down to the back of the park with the intention of doing Wet and Wild, but when my wife looked at the entrance, she said oh HELL NO!. LOL. so we kept going, got lost for a few minutes, and then ended up on Snoopy Falls. Josh mentioned that this was the trail that him and Marcus had tried the week before, and marcus had gotten some body damage, and they had to winch out of the exit. I said, meh lets do it! immediately we come up to the first obstacle which was much more dug out then it was the last time i did it.

We managed to get by that with only a scrape on the hard top

but then on the section where they had to winch out before, we made it successfully but knocked off the rear tail light

didnt get any pics of Ginny doing the obstacle as I was slightly concerned we were in for some major body damage LOL

this is Stigo doing the obstacle

He made it up sucessfully without help!

After that, it was starting to get dark, so we headed back to the campsite, and Josh helped us put together our propane grill since apparently drinking impairs your judgement on putting things together

We ate some damn good food thanks to my wife and hung out and had a great night of camping

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 10-23-2011, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

In the morning Ginny made some eggs and mushrooms and BACON!! LOL

We drove around after breakfast and found a couple guys with a LJ rubicon with a nice longarm suspension lift, and they said they hadnt really found any good trails. I said we could do Wildcat, as thats one of my favorite trails. I decided to drive this time as I was nice and sobered up LOL.

Unfortunately, my wife is nowhere near as picture happy as I am, so I only got a couple pics.

The LJ ended up breaking their front driveshaft at the DC joint, and he limped back to the campsite. We decided to go ahead and pack it up and call it a day, as almost everybody had cleared out.

And that was our trip!

post #5 of 43 Old 10-23-2011, 03:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks like you had a great time wheelin. One of my favorite places. Great to have the whole family out on a trip. Thanks for the pics.
post #6 of 43 Old 10-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Rock God

What trail took out the fender?
I have been out there 3 times but never with anyone who knew the place.
Wet'n'wild is the toughest trail ive seen out there so far..
I need to go out there with someone who knows the place.

Mat
post #7 of 43 Old 10-23-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Wet and wild isnt that bad to me. No name has some spots where you can get some serious rocker panel damage if you arent paying attention. coming out of the exit (really, the entrance since we were doing it backwards) of Wildcat is where it gets extremely flexy and the tires were getting into the fenderwells, and caught the lip of the fender and tore it off the body. once I took those off, and fired up my trusty portable sawzall and cut the pinch seam back a little more, we didnt have any more issues with rubbing.

What was interesting to me was I really didnt know what the Rubi would be capable of doing, I've done alot of trails at hidden falls in my built toyotas, but those were dedicated offroad rigs and i wasnt sure exactly what the Rubicon would be capable of doing. I'm happy to say we didnt get stuck or come remotely close to getting stuck anywhere. Josh had a little bit of a scare at one point on wildcat, we thought for sure he had broken something in his steering. LOL. time for Hydro Assist!

Last edited by tribal4krawler; 10-23-2011 at 03:34 PM.
post #8 of 43 Old 10-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Rock God

Sounds like you need a little more bump stop!lol
I need another inch up front I catch the liners if I turn.
We ran wetnwild backwards last time I was out, it was pretty fun.
Scraped the bed liner off my sliders and bent my frame side control arm mount.
post #9 of 43 Old 10-23-2011, 05:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Looks like a good time, I'd like to make it out there at some point.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #10 of 43 Old 10-23-2011, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Yeah I'm still on stock bumps, didn't rub in front at all, rear compresses all the way into the tub. I'm planning on upgrading to the 2.5 or 3.5 rk lift so ill do bumps at that point. Everybody had a great time, and looking forward to doing it again sometime soon.

post #11 of 43 Old 10-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Dang, I'd have loved to make that run. I like HF a lot. Great shots and very cute kids!

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #12 of 43 Old 10-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Rock God

Garage

had a blast on saturday man!! Great pics! ready to do it again already lol!

post #13 of 43 Old 10-23-2011, 09:59 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

looks like you all had a good time!

U.S. Army
post #14 of 43 Old 10-24-2011, 01:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Hey Stigo and Tribal, it was nice meeting you guys. Looks a good time was had by all. I'm really looking forward getting back out there. I've got about a dozen video clips from the trip that I need to put together.

Sent from my mind using telekynesis!

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #15 of 43 Old 10-24-2011, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Yeah jaybee it was nice meeting you too. Sounded like you cypress guys were really partying it up sat night with the raffle or something it sounded like.

I was so proud of my wife. *sniffle when we got the first scratch she said ah screw it, its a jeep. LOL

Next time it'll just be me and Ginny, so that we don't have to worry about the kids and can enjoy more adult beverages at night.

We definitely need to do another run/camping trip while the weather is perfect for it.

post #16 of 43 Old 10-24-2011, 06:36 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee1669 View Post
Hey Stigo and Tribal, it was nice meeting you guys. Looks a good time was had by all. I'm really looking forward getting back out there. I've got about a dozen video clips from the trip that I need to put together.

Sent from my mind using telekynesis!
yea you too man!!! Let me know when you guys are headed back down. Im always down for some wheelin

post #17 of 43 Old 10-24-2011, 07:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribal4krawler View Post
Yeah jaybee it was nice meeting you too. Sounded like you cypress guys were really partying it up sat night with the raffle or something it sounded like.

I was so proud of my wife. *sniffle when we got the first scratch she said ah screw it, its a jeep. LOL

Next time it'll just be me and Ginny, so that we don't have to worry about the kids and can enjoy more adult beverages at night.

We definitely need to do another run/camping trip while the weather is perfect for it.
things got a little sporty with the chilli cookoff. Then i accidentaly detroyed about a liter of Jack Daniels. The only that kept me alive on sunday was breakfast at the Blue Bonnet Cafe.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #18 of 43 Old 10-24-2011, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

LOL so thats what it was.

You know what else was interesting, the trails were on our Mygig navigation. We didnt realize it until we were heading out, and turned the radio to the navigation and saw all the trails and the parkroad we were on. LOL

post #19 of 43 Old 10-24-2011, 12:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
LOL so thats what it was.

You know what else was interesting, the trails were on our Mygig navigation. We didnt realize it until we were heading out, and turned the radio to the navigation and saw all the trails and the parkroad we were on. LOL
My buddy james was riding with me with his GPS to map the trails. About 2minutes in the batteries crapped out and he didn't have the 12v power plug for it.

I really like the last run up and out of Snoopy Falls. The extra length on the JKU seems to help alot. Some of the TJ guys were getting squirrely on the climb out.

Most of those in the group were running TJ's and YJ's so i had to represent the JK contingency. There was some minivan talk until i pulled a busted YJ up out of bronco buster.

post #20 of 43 Old 10-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Granite Guru

Looks like you guys had a good time. I wanted to go real bad but we had just gotten back from out of town. We need to start a Calender in the Texas thread so that everyone knows whats up!

Commando Green 2d, rear stretch on 37's
post #21 of 43 Old 10-25-2011, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

That's not a bad idea. I was surprised how unfriendly everybody on the trails were, I never got that kind of reception driving my yota crawlers. Must be the stigma of being a JK owner or something. Might not be the best idea for me to be trail leader if we get a jk group going out there though LOL. I need to learn some easy trails to guide ppl on.

Last edited by tribal4krawler; 10-25-2011 at 07:28 AM.
post #22 of 43 Old 10-25-2011, 07:34 AM
Rock God

Garage

Looks like fun! That is one of my favorite places in Texas to wheel.

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
post #23 of 43 Old 10-25-2011, 07:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
That's not a bad idea. I was surprised how unfriendly everybody on the trails were, I never got that kind of reception driving my yota crawlers. Must be the stigma of being a JK owner or something. Might not be the best idea for me to be trail leader if we get a jk group going out there though LOL. I need to learn some easy trails to guide ppl on.
You think it's bad for JK's, those FJ guys to stay all together to keep from getting rocks thrown at them!

post #24 of 43 Old 10-25-2011, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

You wouldn't happen to know what happened to the tan FJ parked by the checkin station that looked like he rolled? It looked like most of the fj's were just driving around on ranch roads.

post #25 of 43 Old 10-25-2011, 09:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks like you guys had a great time out there! I'd love to head out there again, but maybe camp for the weekend this time. Came down for the Labor Day run and the dust was a bitch to deal with! Even at night, tailgunning, I couldn't use anything more than my fogs because I couldn't see shit. Looks like the dust may have been better this time since you guys have had some rain recently. I'm surprised, though. No pics from the top of the tower?

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode