Hole In The Rock Info - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-19-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Hole In The Rock Info

Our club is planning a run to Hole In The Rock next month. Anyone have a good trail guide they'd recommend? The trail has changed quite a bit in the last five years due to some massive washouts and a lot of the older trail info is no longer valid. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-20-2011, 08:39 PM
JKO Addict!

I ran it in May, great trail, we got totally lost more than once but had no map at all, not even an old web post printed http://www.4x4trailtalk.com/forum/sh...le-in-the-Rock

I have GPX track if you want one.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| 303-918-6167

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
| 888-521-0170
post #3 of 11 Old 09-22-2011, 03:18 AM
Rock God

Garage

Traildamage info: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=100

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-30-2011, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAD Offroad View Post
I ran it in May, great trail, we got totally lost more than once but had no map at all, not even an old web post printed http://www.4x4trailtalk.com/forum/sh...le-in-the-Rock

I have GPX track if you want one.
Thanks, great trip report. I think we're col on the GPS by now. Looks like we'll have a large group. Not sure if that's good or bad at this point.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-03-2011, 08:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Thanks, great trip report. I think we're col on the GPS by now. Looks like we'll have a large group. Not sure if that's good or bad at this point.
That trail will be good with a large group since it's so isolated.

Just remember this direction because it's was not marked, I think a sign was missing. After you pass the old rusted truck about a mile or so on the wide dirt road you turn right towards a small dome. That's the turn off we missed and really the start of the 4x4 trail.

Have fun.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #6 of 11 Old 10-05-2011, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks for the tip. Looks like we'll have about nine or ten rigs. I want to call that gas station at Hall's Crossing to be sure he's open when we get there. We're going to leave Durango at 7AM day 1, looks like 210 miles to Hall's Crossing. Hope to be at Dead Crow campground by late afternoon. Run to trails end & back day 2, boogie on out & home day 3. I wanted to do a 4 day but most of the group has to be back Sunday PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-05-2011, 08:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Thanks for the tip. Looks like we'll have about nine or ten rigs. I want to call that gas station at Hall's Crossing to be sure he's open when we get there. We're going to leave Durango at 7AM day 1, looks like 210 miles to Hall's Crossing. Hope to be at Dead Crow campground by late afternoon. Run to trails end & back day 2, boogie on out & home day 3. I wanted to do a 4 day but most of the group has to be back Sunday PM.
One way the trail will take you ~10 hours with that many folks and as you know it's out and then back the same way. It's not really hard, but there are a few places that you have to think about. It took myself and my friend Alan 6 hours on the way back out but it was just the two of us, we've wheeled together for 10 years and we really did crank it.

The gas station at Hell's was closed when we were there but the pumps were on and 2 out of the 4 worked . April was off season and the ferry was also closed. We filled up there before the trail and had enough gas to get to Blanding on the way back to Moab although it was tight. There really is nothing out there at all although I bet you could find someone to sell you a few gallons at that small airport just before the trail in a pinch. I don't remember what the gas cost at Hell's but it's not like you have a choice

You guys will have a total blast. It's one of those once in a lifetime trails.

I updated my GPS, waypoint 3 is the old truck 5 is the turn that was unmarked that we missed. http://www.4x4trailtalk.com/forum/tr...ailsearch=hole

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #8 of 11 Old 11-03-2011, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Well, we got our run in last weekend, what a blast! It is described as a once in a lifetime run and is every bit of that. Your info and trail report was a big help to us, thanks!

I found another link that was helpful, includes a relief map of the area with a GPS track, too. My (cheap) Garmin would only upload the waypoints, but that still helped a great deal. You can actually see much of the trail on Google Earth, which I highly recommend anyone contemplating the run do before they head out. The road can be clearly seen, but most areas of the trail that run on slick rock aren't visible.

http://www.hirf.org/Trail%20Maps/HIR...%20Map%203.pdf

We got fuel at Cal Black airport. A young guy named Carl runs the airport and was very helpful. Even helped us air up when we returned. Gas was $3.95 /gal, air was free. Saved me cranking up the Powerplant.

Here's a link to my Facebook page that has about 50 shots of the run. Thanks again!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7858403&type=3
post #9 of 11 Old 11-03-2011, 05:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Yeah it's a once in a life time trail for sure, I had a feeling you would like it.

It's probably as close you can get to a safari/expedition experience in the US I think. Can't see the FB link but I saw some pics of your run on Colo4x4 I think.

Gotta love living in the west, we are very lucky people I think, most folks won't get to run that trail.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #10 of 11 Old 11-03-2011, 05:21 PM
JKO Addict!

BTW, this pic I took at the end of our wrong turn shows you how far off we were, that's Gray Mesa in the distance on the other side of the valley

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #11 of 11 Old 11-03-2011, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Wow! I may have to check that road out next time. One of our members has run the trail 19 times. He suggests making it a four day trip so you can explore a bit. I'd like to cheek out that road near the end of the trail that runs to the Rincon, too.

I need to mark that Facebook page public, then you'll be able to see it.

Last edited by SoK66; 11-03-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode