Back at home now, so time for a bit of a write up...
I've plotted the rough route on the map here - http://g.co/maps/3828m
- Google's road coverage isn't good enough for it to provide road details for the more remote areas. The route covers a little under 9,000km of which around 3,500km are off the bitumen.
I'll start with the car - it's a 2006 Pajero with a 3.2 Diesel with a few modifications for this kind of trip
- Bull Bar, Winch, Lights
- Lots of underbody armour
- 40 liter water tank
- storage drawers & cargo barrier
- roof top tent
- Rear Bar and dual wheel carrier
I did the drive up from Sydney to Cairns (2600km) on my own to join the other vehicles on the trip.
- KJ x 2
- CJ8 (bought sight unseen 48 hours before the trip started!)
- and a LandRover Discovery 3 towing a camper trailer
I've uploaded a selection of pictures - Here
The driver of the JK also put together an excellent video of the run north from Cairns to the top of Cape York which is worth watching - http://www.youtube.com/user/3DHunty#p/u/4/pUGK2vLnfsQ
Hunty's JK was heavily loaded :-)