Rubicon July 19-21 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-26-2011, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Rubicon July 19-21

Wanted to share a trip report, and some pics with the JKO... A few of us from Phoenix made the trip to Georgetown to take on the Rubicon. My buddy Kevin was in an LJ, I was in my JK.. Had a great trip, perfect weather. Had a couple of hiccups but nothing major.

Arrived in Georgetown on July 18th. Stayed at the Hilltop Inn - not a bad place, but you wouldn't get it confused with the Hilton Inn...

Picked up a few last minute supplies, and headed out onto the trail the next morning.

Passed through the ranger station, thru the gatekeeper with no problems, and into the granite bowl. Absolutely beautiful country. Trail was low range right from the get-go... Found some water on the trail and a deep puddle near Spider Lake.

Made our way around the Little Sluice and past the "mob" section of the trail. Bypassed the big stuff in the mob area. Kevin in the LJ got a sidewall puncture on one of the hills... Tore an 1.5" hole in one of his MTRs... Changed that real quick and kept rolling.

Trail was much more difficult than I had imagined... but the Jeeps were doing well.

Made it to Buck Island Lake - and got the JK hung up on the rock ledges just past the spillway... Tore the boot off of the rear driveline and installed some new dents in the lower part of the driveshaft.

Debated camping at Buck, but opted to make the short run to Rubicon Springs instead... since I think it was less than 2 miles away.

Big Sluice was unbelieveable - and regretted not hanging at Buck to tackle it in the morning. Couple of obstacles were about 3/4 the width of the JK, but there was no turning around... Made it thru taking lots of scrapes on the rocker guards, and breaking one of my marker lights on my front flares.

Crossed the bridge and into the springs after about 10 hours on the trail. I would guess that of the first 8 miles my spotter walked 7. And of those 7, probably 2 backward...

The Springs were great - lots of free firewood, restrooms.... Camped there for 2 nights.

Second day just hung out in the Springs... Took a swim, hiked a little bit... saw the Stone Cabin.

Day 3 headed out of the Springs toward Cadillac Hill. Plenty of water and mud just past the Springs... Made it to the bottom of Cadillac Hill before running into traffic having trouble getting up the hill. The hill was wet, slippery, and treacherous... Probably 10+ vehicles in that line. Waited our turn - and made it up without any issues - no straps or winching involved.

Stopped at the observation point for a few photos and headed out.

The Tahoe side was in good shape - with some water and some show still showing...

All in all - an awesome trip.
Learned alot about the Rubicon... busted some myths and found some truths in all that we heard before heading out there...

Myths...
The Mosquitos are as big as hummingbirds!
The Temps will be in the 20s at night!
The Water crossings may be too deep for the LJ!
The Springs are soaking wet, and any firewood found there will be soaked!

The truths:
The Mosquitos are very bad. I used 2 full cans of off - and still got eaten alive.
Temps were in the upper 30s at night...
Water crossings were simple, and the deepest we found was about 40" deep.
The Springs were dry, clean, and fantastic.
We should have stopped at Buck Island for the night...
Plenty of firewood at the Springs
We didn't need our portable pooper.... The springs had more portapotties than people while we were there.

The trail itself was way harder than I had imagined. Here in AZ sure there are obstacles - usually separated by some distance. The Rubicon was relentless... There were very few breaks, and you needed to stay focused at all times... A good spotter is not a nice to have... it's a REQUIREMENT.

Damage report: LJ ruined a tire. JK Bent rear driveshaft, Broken marker light. Replaced the driveshaft back here in Phoenix after the trip.

Had a blast - and thank you Owtdoors for the advice, maps, and guidance...

Enjoy the pics... these were some of my favorites...

Last edited by fast1600; 08-01-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-26-2011, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Hmmm... Not sure how I post the rest of the pics... Exceeded my quota?
post #3 of 11 Old 07-26-2011, 01:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

There may be a quota for non-redstar members.

Sounds like a fun trip aside from the blowout. Nice pics too...

I'm really looking forward to making this trip one day, it sounds like sooo much fun.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast1600 View Post
Hmmm... Not sure how I post the rest of the pics... Exceeded my quota?
Yep, 5 per post for non-red members. Just make another post for each 5 pictures you have.

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor
post #5 of 11 Old 07-26-2011, 06:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Great report! Thx!!!

HUNDY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'11 VIRGIN 2 dr JK

MILITARY TIRES
Hi Tread MT 37x12.50x16.5 $150 ea!
post #6 of 11 Old 07-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Granite Guru

Looks like ya had a great time!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its on my list of places to go!!!!!!!

Chad
post #7 of 11 Old 07-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Awesome post and pics. Your review is pretty close to my first trip. The Rubicon does not contain the hardest obstacles you will encounter but it is the fact that it starts in low range and stays there for 17 miles. It is brutal from start to finish. Most trails have a few sections that are difficult but this just keeps going. Buck is a good mid point I am surprised you went on.

Sounds like you had a good time. We went in and out from the Tahoe side this weekend and it was really crowded.

2K8 Rubicon SWB
4" Terraflex with uppers and lowers / MX6 shocks /37" BFG KM2's /17x9.5 4" BS Raceline Monster Beadlocks / Dynatrac Front housing / 4:88's / RCV Shafts /Superior Evolution Rear Shafts / Genright ALUM Front bumper and Fenders / LoD Rear with Racks / OffRoad Evo Sliders /Or-Fab Cage
post #8 of 11 Old 07-27-2011, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Really appreciate the comments. Still in awe over the trail, the scenery, and the difficulty. Had a total blast and will do it again someday. Will see if I can post more pics with this entry... Hopefully...

Got the replacement driveshaft from another JKer here in Phoenix. For free. From AZrockzuk in fact - Hi Chad! It's good to know that the brotherhood of jeepers is alive and well. Anytime I can help out a fellow jeeper... I will return the favor in spades... And I owe ya a case of beer too!

No dice on more pics... bummer...

Last edited by fast1600; 07-27-2011 at 08:22 AM.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Rock God

Definitely some awesome pictures, and one badass jeep to go with it. Thanks for sharing.

My JKO BLACK WIDOW BUILD THREAD:

Big Thanks to Jason at

In process: One TONS, 44" Tires, Comp CUT,
Strertched, Hydro Assist, TF 6" LA,
Chromoly TR Beadlocks,
Katskins, and more!
post #10 of 11 Old 07-27-2011, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

A note from Bushwacker...

Thank you for the pictures, your Jeep looks amazing! We can send out replacement lights for your Jeep, please allow about a week for delivery. Thank you again for the pictures

Sincerely,
Robyn

Customer Care
Bushwacker, Inc.

Can't beat that!!! Thank you Bushwacker!! You rock!
post #11 of 11 Old 07-27-2011, 08:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Great trail report. Glad to see you had a great time on the Rubicon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode