Scenes From The Rubicon - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-22-2011, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Scenes From The Rubicon

Just returned from the Rubicon. I went in with a large group of JKO members but a buddy of mine, who drove his TJ on 33s, broke while trying to climb a tough ledge as we climbed out of the granite bowl. ( snapped rear pinion shaft.) I towed him back to the trailhead and he drove as far as he could in front wheel drive, until fluid started spewing out the rear diff. I went back and didn't catch up until little sluice, where part of the group had lunch and ran the sluice box. Wheeled down to buck island, where I camped for 3 days. Mostly relaxed around camp, explored and fished. We camped at the end of the lake, just before the trail starts to climb to the top of big sluice. Not far from the falls that feed buck island lake. Turned out to be excellent camping there. Highly recommend this spot. The water was cold. Too cold to swim but managed to bathe. Snow on the highest peaks. Hiked up the falls, which turned out to be four sets of falls with pools below each one. Fast water too. Made it to rockbound lake which is about 1/2 mile as the crow flies from buck. Maybe 1 1/2 mile hike. We were on the right track, last year when we hiked over the granite, around the cove. Have to go up higher on the granite to get around. We fought through tall brush to get to rockbound lake. Can't see any way around it. Next time I'm bringing a machette. Worth the hike to get to rockbound. The lake is stunning; very deep and clear water. Fished for a good 4 hours and caught 7 trout. I let 4 go. All good size fish. The group left sunday. I left monday morning. Very much enjoyed my time out there. Wheeled back to loon lake too. That made for a shorter trip home. Put together a vid and some pics on youtube. The vid would only upload in 240p so the full screen version looks like crap. Not sure why it wouldn't upload in hd.

Rob

‪Scenes From The Rubicon‬‏ - YouTube

Last edited by rubirobv; 07-22-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-23-2011, 07:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #3 of 8 Old 07-23-2011, 07:48 AM
Rock God

Garage

That was a great video Rob. One of the best times I've had.

W6FJK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-24-2011, 09:39 AM
Rock God

Garage

Awesome perspective..thats a vacation. We should have fished together..you and Blake kicked ass that weekend

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

.....its time to go insane.........Cages, Bumpers/Stingers, Sliders, and Skids
Check us out on FaceBook
Home of the Full 10 Point, custom 5150 Fabrication cage. "PATENT PENDING DESIGN"
post #5 of 8 Old 07-26-2011, 04:34 PM
JKowners Vendor

Are the falls at the beginning of the vid, from Rockbound to Buck Island? Is the lake at minute 3, Rockbound?

Great stuff. Wish I could get up there.

Woods Storage Tub Enlargement Kit - Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit - Evap Can Relocation Kit Muffler Relocation Kit - Tailgate Shock Kit
Buy Woods Kits at:
post #6 of 8 Old 07-26-2011, 06:13 PM
JKO Addict!

WOW! AWESOME! Thx for sharing!

HUNDY
'11 VIRGIN 2 dr JK

MILITARY TIRES
Hi Tread MT 37x12.50x16.5 $150 ea!
post #7 of 8 Old 07-27-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods View Post
Are the falls at the beginning of the vid, from Rockbound to Buck Island? Is the lake at minute 3, Rockbound?

Great stuff. Wish I could get up there.

Yes, Rockbound feeds into Buck Island. At 3 min., that's Buck Island at the opposite end from the dam. First shots of Rockbound are at 6 min. Rockbound is 2 to 3 timeslarger than Buck Island.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Granite Guru

Great video, thanks for sharing and making me jealous

08 JKUR 6.5" lift, 40" MTR's ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode