Katemcy Rocks K2 - May 28, 2011 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 05-31-2011, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Katemcy Rocks K2 - May 28, 2011

I was only there one day and didn't get many pictures at all, but I'm sure plenty of other people did. It was great to see everyone and the trails were fun as always.

A bunch of JK's ran all of Cyclops on Saturday morning. A couple of us ran School Bus and some little trails in the afternoon. We were going to run Skinny Minny before we left, but there was already a group on it, including a couple of JK's and it was approaching the time I needed to be leaving.

Hope everyone enjoyed the weekend there

I'll be back there on June 11-12 if anyone else is going to be there.

http://www.trailduty.com/gallery/k2may282011/index.html

http://www.trailduty.com/gallery/k2may282011/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 05-31-2011, 04:31 PM
Rock God

Looks like a good time...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #3 of 37 Old 05-31-2011, 04:48 PM
Rock God

Garage

Nice BIG ROCKS you got there in Texas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 05-31-2011, 05:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Good pics Phil, I am glad you got to do a little something besides spotting.. I applaud your patience. We all have to get better at spotting... so we can share the load a bit. Cyclops right out of the box was a tough trail. Not many know which line to take I know you parked your rig and helped spot the back 2/3rds for over an hour. The entrance to that trail was backed up like I-10 on Monday evening.... and half of them had no business on that trail.

post #5 of 37 Old 05-31-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
I know you parked your rig and helped spot the back 2/3rds for over an hour.
I think it was 2:00pm before I got back to my Jeep

Quote:
The entrance to that trail was backed up like I-10 on Monday evening.... and half of them had no business on that trail.
It's always an issue, people like to be with "their" group and I understand why, so can understand it.

The trip before we had a group with everything from monsters on 44's (tires not axles) to almost stock with no body protection. It makes it hard to please everyone, half end up bored, the other half scared, and all of them have nothing nice to say about the trail leaders That time I parked at the beginning of the trail and walked the whole thing and picked up my Jeep just in time to head back for lunch, it was not until the afternoon that I got out of 2WD

I have fun whatever happens though, a bad day on the rocks is better than a good day in the office

Hope you folks enjoyed the rest of the weekend
post #6 of 37 Old 05-31-2011, 06:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I hope you didn't take that post wrong....

I felt bad because you and Rod spent most of what little time you had working your ass off.

Hat's off to you, you are a class act and anyone who has wheeled with you would agree.

post #7 of 37 Old 05-31-2011, 06:56 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Phil, I second what ron said. It was very cool of you to spend most of your day spotting us. I know you say a bad day on the rocks is always better than a good day at the office, but thanks just the same. Very cool....

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #8 of 37 Old 05-31-2011, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
I hope you didn't take that post wrong....
Not at all. Besides I wouldn't do it if I wasn't having fun I also know how frustrating it can be stuck in a traffic jam on the trail, unfortunately it happens sometimes despite efforts to the contrary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE
It was very cool of you to spend most of your day spotting us.
Getting you to pick up a rock that weighed as much as the JK's V6 made it all worthwhile
post #9 of 37 Old 05-31-2011, 07:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Getting you to pick up a rock that weighed as much as the JK's V6 made it all worthwhile
Did Corey put the "Mojo" on it?

I still hear "Whatch y'all wan me to do?" and "Here we go!!"

You know what they say.... you stack one rock... just one.. and you are a rock stacker for life.
post #10 of 37 Old 05-31-2011, 07:50 PM
Rock God

Garage

Nice pics!! We have a few guys in our group that pretty much enjoy spotting as much as they do wheeling.

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
post #11 of 37 Old 05-31-2011, 08:15 PM
JKO Addict!

I like the pics, miss not being with yall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #12 of 37 Old 06-01-2011, 06:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Guess I need to make a trip out to K2 once I get my lift and tires on. Any other recommendations for necessary upgrades before trying to tackle the trails out there?

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #13 of 37 Old 06-01-2011, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
I like the pics, miss not being with yall.
Missed you too, you'd enjoy some of the better trails out there :-)
post #14 of 37 Old 06-01-2011, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
Any other recommendations for necessary upgrades before trying to tackle the trails out there?
If you don't already have it, rocker protection is the only thing that I'd recommend.
post #15 of 37 Old 06-01-2011, 07:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
If you don't already have it, rocker protection is the only thing that I'd recommend.
Better rocker protection planned, but still sportin' factory Rubi rails at the moment.

post #16 of 37 Old 06-01-2011, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
Better rocker protection planned, but still sportin' factory Rubi rails at the moment.
They will be fine. June 11-12 is the last chance before they close for the Summer
post #17 of 37 Old 06-02-2011, 05:36 AM

Phil,

I certainly want to thank you and your partner for everything you did on Saturday spotting.

This was our first time out with the Jeep, and we were one of the people who really had no business on that trail(cyclops), while our Jeep was certainly capable, having no experience was certainly a challenge for us.

We tried another group Sat afternoon hoping to get some less challenging runs, we failed again, ended up going with a group on some more hairy adventures.

It was not until Sunday that we hooked up with Dutch and Dave that we got to run some moderate runs and were able to learn how to maneuver and position ourselves to avoid trouble. My biggest take away from the weekend was how bad it sucks to have a Manual transmission vs an Automatic. How its so much easier to wheel in 2nd gear than 1st(less lunging forward and better throttle control).

Thanks again for your help & patients.
post #18 of 37 Old 06-02-2011, 05:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
They will be fine. June 11-12 is the last chance before they close for the Summer
Am I a bad Texan if I can't stand off-road parks. I knew I gave up what I consider "fun wheelin" when I left the desert, but no late night summer runs?! Thats no fun!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #19 of 37 Old 06-02-2011, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
This was our first time out with the Jeep, and we were one of the people who really had no business on that trail(cyclops), while our Jeep was certainly capable, having no experience was certainly a challenge for us.
Sometimes a baptism can be a good learning experience. The first part of the trail is not what I would call difficult, but it is technical.

Quote:
My biggest take away from the weekend was how bad it sucks to have a Manual transmission vs an Automatic. How its so much easier to wheel in 2nd gear than 1st(less lunging forward and better throttle control).
I know many people swear by manuals off-road, but on rocks it makes hard work. A good crawl ratio helps, and you just have to remember the rocks are not going anywhere, so you have all the time in the world.
post #20 of 37 Old 06-02-2011, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Am I a bad Texan if I can't stand off-road parks. I knew I gave up what I consider "fun wheelin" when I left the desert, but no late night summer runs?! Thats no fun!
I used to feel the same way, getting from A to B adventure type trails was what I used to enjoy. The whole concept of off-road parks was not one that clicked with me initially.

I don't if you've been to Katemcy (K1 or K2), but you can pretty much do your own thing (apart from night wheeling), and can be with a group as big or as small as you want. You can avoid "traffic" pretty easily pretty much not see anyone else all day if that's what you want. Camping on site is primitive and there is enough room that you can be almost isolated.

If you haven't wheeled at K2 I would at least give it a try, you may be surprised by how much fun you can have in an "off-road park"
post #21 of 37 Old 06-02-2011, 07:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post

It was not until Sunday that we hooked up with Dutch and Dave that we got to run some moderate runs and were able to learn how to maneuver and position ourselves to avoid trouble. My biggest take away from the weekend was how bad it sucks to have a Manual transmission vs an Automatic. How its so much easier to wheel in 2nd gear than 1st(less lunging forward and better throttle control).

Thanks again for your help & patients.
Do you have a Rubicon? You couldn't get me to trade my manual for an automatic. They are far from sucking, takes a little more driving...but thats half the fun of it.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #22 of 37 Old 06-02-2011, 07:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
If you haven't wheeled at K2 I would at least give it a try, you may be surprised by how much fun you can have in an "off-road park"
Clayton and K2 is supposedly what I need to do.

post #23 of 37 Old 06-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Clayton and K2 is supposedly what I need to do.

And you can night wheel in Clayton.

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
post #24 of 37 Old 06-02-2011, 11:23 AM

Yes Goody, I do have a Rubi.
post #25 of 37 Old 06-02-2011, 11:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

^^Nice lookin' rig, man! 2 questions:

1. What year model?

2. What Bikini top is that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode