Anyone been to Silver Lake dunes? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-22-2011, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
b4tn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: yuppieville, MD
Age: 43
Posts: 396
Feedback: 0 reviews
Anyone been to Silver Lake dunes?

I am thinking about taking the 10 hour drive and spending a week there. Looks like it has fun dunes to play on, beaches for my kids, and water fun.

2010 Surf Blue Unlimited


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
b4tn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 05-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Rock God
 
Jeeps & Guns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 1,253
Feedback: 2 reviews

It is a blast..Do not go on a holiday weekend, long lines to get inNon holiday weekends are great, nice mixture of rigs and people.
I would plan on doing more than the Dunes, after two days you will be ready for something else. Hit a couple Off Road Parks on your way to make it that much enjoyable.
Jeeps & Guns is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 05-22-2011, 07:37 AM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Navarre, FL
Age: 40
Posts: 301
Feedback: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to JTs-JK Send a message via Yahoo to JTs-JK

headed up there this week. My in-laws live in Traverse City.
JT


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JTs-JK is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 Old 05-22-2011, 07:43 AM
JKO Addict!
 
Joneszj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PHILADELPHIA
Posts: 2,805
Garage
Feedback: 6 reviews

Its a lot of fun, but like he said, I would plan to do other things around the area. The whole west coast of Michigan is gorgeous and has a lot of picturesque boating towns. Silver Lake is a blast, and my tip is to hit the dunes right after a rainstorm because there's typically a lot less people on them and the sand is packed down a bit more allowing for more speed. The JK is able to make every ascent on every dune, even though test hill looks scary and so do some of the others. Here's a cool pic from one of my times there...


When the sand is dryer, the top of the dunes have extremely loose sand and you'll want to keep your wheel speed pretty consistent without pegging the gas too hard. You don't want to air it out, but you also don't want this to happen:


It took us about an hour to dig out from that.

This pic will give you a little bit of an idea of how big the dunes actually are:


But if you're looking for stuff to do for an entire week, I would recommend checking out some of the coastal towns along the western coast. I enjoyed Sagautuck, Pentwater, Grand Haven, and a couple others. You might want to also check out Sleeping Bear Dunes where you can't drive but there's the most gigantic and steep dune I've ever seen with my own 2 eyes.

And if you're looking to wheel in MIchigan, you've always got Rocks and Valleys and Bundy Hill, my 2 favorite offroad parks in the state.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
Joneszj is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 05-22-2011, 08:24 AM
JKO Addict!
 
venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: East of Abilene, TX
Posts: 6,381
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

was there about 20 years ago on a full race prepped suzuki 500 quadzilla with paddles - it was a blast!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
venom is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 05-22-2011, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
b4tn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: yuppieville, MD
Age: 43
Posts: 396
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
Its a lot of fun, but like he said, I would plan to do other things around the area. The whole west coast of Michigan is gorgeous and has a lot of picturesque boating towns. Silver Lake is a blast, and my tip is to hit the dunes right after a rainstorm because there's typically a lot less people on them and the sand is packed down a bit more allowing for more speed. The JK is able to make every ascent on every dune, even though test hill looks scary and so do some of the others. Here's a cool pic from one of my times there...


When the sand is dryer, the top of the dunes have extremely loose sand and you'll want to keep your wheel speed pretty consistent without pegging the gas too hard. You don't want to air it out, but you also don't want this to happen:


It took us about an hour to dig out from that.

This pic will give you a little bit of an idea of how big the dunes actually are:


But if you're looking for stuff to do for an entire week, I would recommend checking out some of the coastal towns along the western coast. I enjoyed Sagautuck, Pentwater, Grand Haven, and a couple others. You might want to also check out Sleeping Bear Dunes where you can't drive but there's the most gigantic and steep dune I've ever seen with my own 2 eyes.

And if you're looking to wheel in MIchigan, you've always got Rocks and Valleys and Bundy Hill, my 2 favorite offroad parks in the state.
Oh that sounds great! The plan is to take my kids, hit the dunes, camp, get some beach time in, shop, etc. I'm just worried about going alone. My winch wont do me much good there unless I have a second person with me lol

2010 Surf Blue Unlimited


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
b4tn is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 05-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Granite Guru
 
andy0857's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 268
Feedback: 2 reviews
Silver Lake

Used to go all the time growing up in Michigan. Great place to spend a few days! You can park your rig very close to the beach and swim/wheel all day. As others have suggested the West Coast of MI is very nice with plenty to see. If you don't mind driving a bit further North, the Mackinaw Area, especially Mackinaw Island is quite a sight. If you are really up for an adventure try Drummond Island.

GO THE EXTRA MILE, IT'S NEVER CROWDED THERE.

/l , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)------)_)
andy0857 is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 06-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Granite Guru
 
GL08JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Saginaw, MI
Posts: 107
Feedback: 0 reviews

Depending on when you plan on going I will be at silver lake from july 15th till july 24th with about 5 other jeepers. If you are planning on being up that way around then we are all willing to help if you have any problems and you are more than welcome to tag along or stop by the campsite.

Teraflex 4" Lift with 8 Flexarms - Mickey Thompson Classic Locks - 35" Goodyear MTR with Kevlar - Shrockworks Mid Width Front Bumper - Shrockworks Full Width Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier - SkidRow Oil/Tranny skid plate - Rock Hard 4x4 JK Evap Canister Skid Plate - Coast Front and Read Driveshaft - Teraflex Front/Rear Differential Covers - Superchip Flashpaq - Mile Marker 9500 - KC SlimLights - ARB on-board air/CB/Ham radio - Yukon 5.13 - Sleeved and Gussets
GL08JK is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 06-08-2011, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
b4tn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: yuppieville, MD
Age: 43
Posts: 396
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL08JK View Post
Depending on when you plan on going I will be at silver lake from july 15th till july 24th with about 5 other jeepers. If you are planning on being up that way around then we are all willing to help if you have any problems and you are more than welcome to tag along or stop by the campsite.
I am actually going to be there July 18th-22nd. I will definitely for you guys.

2010 Surf Blue Unlimited


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
b4tn is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 06-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Granite Guru
 
GL08JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Saginaw, MI
Posts: 107
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4tn View Post
I am actually going to be there July 18th-22nd. I will definitely for you guys.
Great, we will all be at Silver Lake State Park camping when not out and about on the dunes.

Teraflex 4" Lift with 8 Flexarms - Mickey Thompson Classic Locks - 35" Goodyear MTR with Kevlar - Shrockworks Mid Width Front Bumper - Shrockworks Full Width Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier - SkidRow Oil/Tranny skid plate - Rock Hard 4x4 JK Evap Canister Skid Plate - Coast Front and Read Driveshaft - Teraflex Front/Rear Differential Covers - Superchip Flashpaq - Mile Marker 9500 - KC SlimLights - ARB on-board air/CB/Ham radio - Yukon 5.13 - Sleeved and Gussets
GL08JK is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 06-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Rock God
 
Prope's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Holmes County, Ohio
Posts: 1,859
Feedback: 0 reviews

It's a fun time there but after a few days gets boring quick because there isn't much ground you can cover... now if you have a boat, I'd think you could easily spend a week there between it and the Heep!

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fenders & Rockers -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
Prope is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome