Gray Rock Last Weekend: Flopped JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 04-14-2011, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Gray Rock Last Weekend: Flopped JK

http://www.youtube.com/embed/OnjHUNKRLnw

That is not my JK, nor did I take the video. Story found here.

Held up pretty good. Makes me feel better about some of my designs.

edit - I don't remember how to embed the vid.

AKA: "American" on PBB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 04-14-2011, 07:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Go faster doesn't always work.
post #3 of 32 Old 04-14-2011, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I am not familiar with the obstacle (especially at night), but that is often the only way to get up obstacles in the southeast. I kind of foresaw someone saying something like that...

edit 4/15/11: This post was not supposed to be a "dickhead" sounding post, but I can see how it now does seem that way. To clarify, this would have been a better way to word my reply, while still saying the same thing:

"Alot of people outside of the southeast might not realize how much throttle it takes to get up some of these obstacles. Because of that, I kind of foresaw a reply such as this. I am not familiar with the obstacle (especially at night), but that is often the only way to get up obstacles in the southeast; especially at Grayrock, and definitely after a little rain"

Last edited by Matt Wright; 04-15-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 04-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via AIM to NorthGAX Send a message via Yahoo to NorthGAX

I am not very experienced with wheeling but I would have pulled a winch line. It also looked like his tires had way too much air in them.

Love you brother and you will always be my hero!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 32 Old 04-14-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I can just delete my post if this is the kind of replies it will get. That is REAL wheeling, and that is the RIGHT way to go about it. Again, I am not familiar with the obstacle, so I cannot speak on the actual line and the throttle requirements for said line. But neither can you, so quit making assumptions that it is the wrong way to go about it. Do some searches for wheeling videos of southeastern rigs, and you might be able to get some idea of the kind of terrain we have around here. If you want to conquer the best obstacles, you have to fight the pucker and keep at it. Often times, it takes alot of HP to get up the mud covered rocks in the southeast.

You don't back down from an obstacle when your rig is built to be beaten.

edit - I'm not off the handle, but I am nipping it in the butt before that BS starts. It saddens me that there are so many with your mentality that own JK's. Especially since this website essentially started as the JK section of PIRATE.

edit2 - That is not at all a bash on the site. If you take it that way, you misunderstand.

Last edited by Matt Wright; 04-14-2011 at 08:00 PM.
post #6 of 32 Old 04-14-2011, 07:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Matt chill out! You posted a thread of a jeep flipping, you are going to get this type of a response! Now do you want their opinions are not!
post #7 of 32 Old 04-14-2011, 08:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Welcome to Southern wheeling. You're right about needing wheel speed on a lot of obstacles we do. I've been in many situations like that, and have been pretty lucky most of the time. I have flopped a couple of times, but so far have been lucky enough to have a tree or ledge stop me from going all the way. It happens fast.

Try not to get too uptight though. People, including myself, are always going to look at a deal like this and try to figure out what they could have done differently.

This might not look like much, but when it happened it was so fast, I thought the whole side of the Jeep was caved in. It was at "V" Notch at Tellico (RIP). I was riding the notch and then I wasn't. No damage at all.

River Rock

I know, Baby flops, but just wanted to stress that if you wheel enough, sooner or later it will happen.
post #8 of 32 Old 04-14-2011, 09:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

wow

the comments from the people in the background were hilarious
post #9 of 32 Old 04-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Rock God

It seems like the first line he was attempting may have been a better bet, but like you said I wasn't there and dont know the obstacle. I will say the fact that the passenger had beer in the vehicle was a bad idea, even worse if the driver was drinking too. Leave it back at camp or wait till your off the trails fellas.

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
post #10 of 32 Old 04-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Rock God

Garage

Well, a group that I ride with rents this park for an entire weekend every year. I can tell you from experience that Jeep had no business on that obstacle with it wet, much less at night time.

2008 Rubicon Unlimited | Rescue Green | OME Long Travel HD Lift | Raceline Monster Beadlocks | 39.5 Irok Bias Tires| 5.13 Gears | PSC BFH Front Bumper | PSC Flares | PCS Crusher Corners |PSC Rock Brawler Rear w/tire carrier | Warn 9.5ti | ARB High Flow On Board Air | sPOD |Rock Hard Sport Cage | Poly High Steer Kit | Poly Front Track Bar Brace | Alloy Chromoly Rear Axle Shafts
post #11 of 32 Old 04-14-2011, 10:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

the only thing i have to say is....why were they drinking in the jeep? save it for later.
post #12 of 32 Old 04-14-2011, 10:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wright View Post

He just kinda flopped it on its side....not really a roll over. Ive seen that happen before.

Pre-cage, my fear was always flopping it straight backwards onto the roof. I dont worry about that as much anymore.
post #13 of 32 Old 04-14-2011, 10:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
post #14 of 32 Old 04-15-2011, 02:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wright View Post
http://www.youtube.com/embed/OnjHUNKRLnw

That is not my JK, nor did I take the video. Story found here.

edit - I don't remember how to embed the vid.
Thanks for sharing the video. I do not know this obstacle, or the right line to take on it. But I do know that some times the skinny pedal is the only way to get up certain obstacles.

I am a little concerned with the trail pup in this shot :

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
River Rock
Poor dog looks embarrassed that you flopped on your side ...........

And as far as driniking on the trail: A definite no-go for the driver. Period. Passengers, as long as they aren't being stupid about it, is fine by me.

Anthony

AMP

'07 JKUR, Steel Blue, Spun Main Bearing Mod @ 46k miles
My new engine is a four letter word ..............
post #15 of 32 Old 04-15-2011, 02:24 PM
JKO Addict!

I agree sometimes you need some skinny pedal.
He used a little too much haha.
He should have backed up and bumped it from the place he was trying initially rather than back all the way off the obstacle and try and bump the whole damn thing.
Granted I wasn't there and didn't see it but that's my take.

And damn Matt, chill a bit its not even your rig. You cant even take a little criticism of someone else's driving skills? And you're the one making the pirate references?
Regardless of what you say he did it wrong. Otherwise he'd be on all 4 wheels sitting at the top and not upside down below it

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #16 of 32 Old 04-15-2011, 02:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Easy now Matt- I'm not trying to bash anyone. I have used the skinny pedal to get over obstacles. I have rolled a Jeep completely upside down so I am not immune to a flop myself. I really wheel my Jeep and those that do will have trail damage. My 07 JK

Where did that fender go? Nice dent behind the door also...

Now this was a bashing!!!Upside down and gone. I lived though.

My 09JKU doesn't have an easy life either

Last edited by 4x4x4; 04-15-2011 at 02:43 PM.
post #17 of 32 Old 04-15-2011, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Maybe I wasn't clear when I said "I'm not off the handle," but I was always chill.

I made it clear that I wasn't there, and don't have experience with the obstacle. So when I said he was doing it right, I was referring to the fact that oftentimes in this area that is what you need to do.

Most of my reply was aimed toward NorthGAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAX View Post
I am not very experienced with wheeling but I would have pulled a winch line. It also looked like his tires had way too much air in them.
This was the reply that my comment was most aimed at. My mind was boggled. 4x4x4 said something that I legitimately expected someone to say, but now that post seems like it may have had a different connotation after my reply to NorthGAX was a little bit more harsh. NorthGAX said something that amounted to "I know I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'm going to say that I would have backed down. Also, I have never been in a fight, but I was watching boxing once; and I thought to myself 'After I got hit a few times, I would have just given up.'" That is just ridiculous to me, for someone to say that on this site. To me, it was similar to going to a 350Z performance site, and saying something about "I wouldn't have raced that, because it might blow the engine." Maybe it's just me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Massey View Post
Matt chill out! You posted a thread of a jeep flipping, you are going to get this type of a response! Now do you want their opinions are not!
LOL, not that guy's opinion!

But honestly, why do you have to get this kind of response on a website that is supposed to be about modding and wheeling your JK? If you want to do extreme stuff, you are going to flop eventually. And if you want to push further and further, you are going to want to PLAN for it. That is just my opinion.

I didn't mean to ruffle anybody's feathers. I thought some people would benefit from seeing that you can still push your JK past alot of "limits", lose, and still be able to wheel some more; granted you have prepared your vehicle accordingly. Also, you can build those b-sliders to be removable, just like Ian from Xtreme; so that opens the door for the crowd that likes to wheel hard but also wants their rig to look good. Lets you feel better about beating on your expensive rig.

Last edited by Matt Wright; 04-15-2011 at 05:31 PM.
post #18 of 32 Old 04-15-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4 View Post
Easy now Matt- I'm not trying to bash anyone. I have used the skinny pedal to get over obstacles. I have rolled a Jeep completely upside down so I am not immune to a flop myself. I really wheel my Jeep and those that do will have trail damage. My 07 JK

Where did that fender go? Nice dent behind the door also...

...image...

Now this was a bashing!!!Upside down and gone. I lived though.

My 09JKU doesn't have an easy life either

...image...
I did not mean to sound like a dick toward you at all. I think maybe the reply to NorthGAX changed the connotation of my reply to you, somewhat. For that, I do apologize. For the other stuff, not so much ... I also didn't realize until now that either way, you are correct. Sometimes, skinny pedal still doesn't work

Glad to see you survived that. Very intense.

Last edited by Matt Wright; 04-15-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: shortened by removing images
post #19 of 32 Old 04-15-2011, 07:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Well I meant what I said. But I did like the video! It looks like some fun times.
post #20 of 32 Old 04-16-2011, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

On a much lighter note than the rest of this thread, I didn't have a chance to watch it with sound until today, and I agree it was kind of funny. The more I watch, the more I think the first line was a better bet. But it's hard to tell when you can't get the context of the surrounding terrain. The camera guy seemed to feel that way though.

post #21 of 32 Old 04-19-2011, 04:29 AM
Rock God

screw it, he was out there givin it hell and as long as he wasn't crying afterwords then good on him.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #22 of 32 Old 04-19-2011, 09:07 AM
Wheeler

A Rockstar In Alabama

He "JK Neal" wasn't hurt nor was his JK. He was very much alive last night. He may have "shat" his draws but that's about it. This is his way of having a good time and blowing off a little steam. Breaking something to him means just replacing it with something that shouldn't and then pushing that part to it's extreme. Should he have attempted it.....really....who cares? If he breaks something, it's goes back to SBC for repairs. I look at like he's helping to stimulate our economy.
post #23 of 32 Old 04-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Granite Guru

That was my black rubicon. I had done that obstacly 3 times earlier that day and it was dry for the most part other than some mud and slight wetness in the bottom there. Under the lights they wet it down considerably and moved a couple of things around at the exit which is where I fell short. I just simply didn't have the HP to get out of there in the wet, muddy conditions. That said a lot of very capable buggies and or older jeeps either broke or flipped, or just had to be yanked out by the backhoe just like me. No need to pull a winch there as I didn't have my remote for mine and nothing at all on that obstacle to winch to anyway. I saw personally three different buggies roll the next day when it was a bit more dry again, two of them being people in my group with rigs much more capable than mine... Also saw a buggy make it after beating on it for a long time, he had over 400hp and that is the only way he made it. He to almost flopped but saved it. The rocks at greyrock are wierd in that it looks like there is good traction but once you get on the rock you realize there isn't good traction. Not sure why but other obstacles in other parks around here seem to have much more traction on rocks. Yes I had too much air in tires but that 4 pounds wasn't going to make the difference in that situation. Again I did it 3 times in the daytime with too much air also. Tires had 15 to 16 pounds int them and I normally run 10 to 12 without beadlocks. I will soon get some video of my jeep being successful on youtube but so far JK Neal only has this to his name on Youtube.
post #24 of 32 Old 04-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Wheeler

i built the cage for neal not in case he rolls but for when he does roll it........he is using it well

pics of cage

full gallery
http://s737.photobucket.com/albums/x...ie1/JK%20CAGE/

only damage from roll
post #25 of 32 Old 04-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Rock God

Now for the obligatory "MEH, IT'LL BUFF OUT!!"

Glad you're OK. That must have been hairy with no doors. Tough obsticle.

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Hard skids, Skidrow Control Arm Skids, Shrockworks bumpers. Pro Comp 2" Puck Lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode