Thanksgiving weekend, exploring around Afton Canyon - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 11-28-2010, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Thanksgiving weekend, exploring around Afton Canyon

Exploring around Afton Canyon.

We started Friday exploring some of the washes on the North side of Afton Canyon. We ended up at the bottom of the wash that flows into the Mojave river, at the first train bridge. This area is fenced off from the Mojave Road side. As soon as we got within view of the bridge, we turned around and head up another wash. There is a cool old mine tunnel, toward the bottom of this first wash. It goes back maybe 100 feet and has one other 20 foot offshoot and a small pit at the end. Plenty of bat guano and rat remnants. One of the better mine tunnels that I've seen. Deeper and more to see than the one at Gate-keeper in Calico.

We then head up to try to find our way over a pass that would get us to the bottom top of Afton Canyon (where the big train bridge is). While crawling slowly up a wash, I suddenly had no steering. Broke the tapered bolt on the drag link. Wasn't going anywhere, until I had it fixed. Definitely brought the right guy with me. Jack had a spare drag link at his home in Fullerton. I made some calls to get it picked up. Oleg stepped up and was planning to meet Jack's son at his house in Fullerton, then would drive it out to meet us at Peggy Sue's for the hand off. Jack's son decided to let Oleg off the hook and ended up driving the drag link all the way out. He's a good guy who pits for the team Red Bull KOH buggy. He knows what's up and seemed happy to pay it forward. Giant thanks out to AJ (Cal). Oleg too for offering to help and of course Jack. We set camp at this spot. It was a cold one. Not sure how cold, but it was supposed to be a low of 16 degrees in Yermo. All of our water froze over night. We slept warm in our Wiggy's sleeping bags. The next morning, we replaced the drag link and got on the trail about 9:30. We changed direction and headed for more of a well known trail. This trail turns to sandy rocky and up a pass, that would drop us in at the big train bridge. Hadn't run it before, but it sure did make for some good views and some fun wheelin too. Hundy, you'll remember the sand hill that we tried to climb a couple years ago, but couldn't make it to the top. This trail started us at the top and we had an exciting ride down the sand hill. From there we checked out T-Bone Albright's grave. We decided that we better head out for some gas. Lunch was good at the Mad Greek in Baker. Next we headed to the trail that runs along the Southern rim of Afton Canyon. Great views from up there. We ended up making camp in the same spot that we camped with Hundy and Michelle last March. We also made it up the hairy little trail past camp. We had camp set and finished roasting hot dogs and Chile by 6:30. How about a night run next? So we headed out and checked out some good wheelin spots on the South Side. We got back to camp and lit a great fire about 9:00. As we went to bed the wind started to pick up a little. Soon after hitting the sack, the wind really kicked in. Then rain. Sleeping was tough with our tent blowing all over the place. Finally at 2:30, Julie woke me up after she heard Jack yelling my name. Jack's tent had collapsed and they had packed up for home. Jack asked if we wanted to head back with them. We got up and broke camp in the middle of the night. We finally rolled into home at 6:30 this morning. Traffic sure was great though.

Near as we can tell, this panel truck body says "Golden State Meat Co. Meats and Provisions" on the side

Seismology station with antenna

T Bone Albright's grave. I think this is fake.

Woods Storage Tub Enlargement Kit - Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit - Evap Can Relocation Kit Muffler Relocation Kit - Tailgate Shock Kit
Buy Woods Kits at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-28-2010, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

mo pics of T Bone's grave

Old pics and contents at the memorial

Woods Storage Tub Enlargement Kit - Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit - Evap Can Relocation Kit Muffler Relocation Kit - Tailgate Shock Kit
Buy Woods Kits at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-29-2010, 07:37 AM
Rock God

Sounds like fun... at least until jack woke you up

www.californiasurveillanceinvestigators.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-29-2010, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlegRock View Post
Sounds like fun... at least until jack woke you up
It wasn't all that bad. We got to wheel all of Afton Canyon in the dark, which was cool and we didn't have to fight any traffic. I'm sure there were plenty of people on the 91 yesterday, who wished they had gone through at 5:30 a.m.

Buy Woods Kits at:
post #5 of 15 Old 11-29-2010, 08:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Sounds like a good trip- thx for the write-up!!!

HUNDY
'11 VIRGIN 2 dr JK

MILITARY TIRES
Hi Tread MT 37x12.50x16.5 $150 ea!
post #6 of 15 Old 11-29-2010, 09:01 AM
-T-
Rock God

Always an adventure, very cool!

I laugh, I smile, I bounce..............JEEP
post #7 of 15 Old 11-29-2010, 09:52 AM
JKO Addict!

We got some wind at Dumont Sat nite too--- too bad you couldnt have made it throught the nite-- Sunday morning was calm and awesome! (of course thats when we had to leave!)

HUNDY
'11 VIRGIN 2 dr JK

MILITARY TIRES
post #8 of 15 Old 11-29-2010, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100dollarman View Post
We got some wind at Dumont Sat nite too--- too bad you couldnt have made it throught the nite-- Sunday morning was calm and awesome! (of course thats when we had to leave!)
Did you guys get much rain? At least is was warm on Sat night. If it had been as cold as the night before, it would have been snowing.

Buy Woods Kits at:
post #9 of 15 Old 11-29-2010, 11:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods View Post
Did you guys get much rain? At least is was warm on Sat night. If it had been as cold as the night before, it would have been snowing.
No rain-- just a couple of sprinkle spots on the RZR--

HUNDY
'11 VIRGIN 2 dr JK

MILITARY TIRES
post #10 of 15 Old 11-29-2010, 03:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Good story and great pics. Love that stuff.
post #11 of 15 Old 11-30-2010, 08:24 AM
JKO Addict!

OK, I will ask...Who is T-Bone? I love history stuff but didnt find anything on him. Cool pics!
post #12 of 15 Old 11-30-2010, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

T-Bone was a guy who rode the train cars, in the 30's and 40's between Oklahoma and California. I've googled him and all that comes up are references to his grave / memorial. I found him on facebook too, but that looks to be a different T-Bone Albright haha. Ya know what? I'm going to go open a facebook page for him and post the pictures there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
OK, I will ask...Who is T-Bone? I love history stuff but didnt find anything on him. Cool pics!

Buy Woods Kits at:
post #13 of 15 Old 11-30-2010, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

T-Bone now has his own Facebook page. Check it out: http://www.facebook.com/tbone.albright

Send him a friend request.

Buy Woods Kits at:
post #14 of 15 Old 11-30-2010, 07:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Done - one friend request from Rooster Offroad! LOL
post #15 of 15 Old 12-01-2010, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
Done - one friend request from Rooster Offroad! LOL
Classic. I'll be doing another trip out there in the next couple of months. When I do, I'll update T-Bone's FB page.

Buy Woods Kits at:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode