Bed Bug Alert: Moab Super 8! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 10-29-2010, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Bed Bug Alert: Moab Super 8!

Stayed at the Moab Super 8 last weekend and came away with over 100 bed bug bites, confirmed by my doctor this AM. Found numerous complaints about this in web hotel reviews, going back months. Stay away from that place until they clean it up. Days Inn is supposed to be bad too.

Trust me, you DO NOT want bed bug bites!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-29-2010, 10:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

haha. thats pretty gross.

the above is most likely irrelevant.
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, abendx is my hero, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK, JKO
post #3 of 21 Old 10-30-2010, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Gross is not the word. Now I gotta sweat out the possibility I brought the bastards home. Scrubbed the shit out of anything that was in that room. Fortunately I have a policy of never putting anything on beds in hotel rooms, but you never know. Only takes one egg. Calling the board of health first thing Monday, my lawyer second thing Monday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 10-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Rock God

That Sucks!!!!
post #5 of 21 Old 11-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Wheeler

That's why this is the way to go:

It's no westin but at least I know who left the fluids in the bed.
post #6 of 21 Old 11-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Wheeler

Damn man that sucks. This is the second time I have heard about this in the last week now.

We are headed to Moab over Thanksgiving, we're not staying at the Super 8 thank goodness. I am gonna call the hotel we are staying at and ask them about this.

NRA Member!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
/l , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)------)_)

2007 Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 21 Old 11-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I just stayed at the Super 8 in Moab last weekend. Happy I didnt come away with any bug bites. I guess it is time to pay a little extra to stay in a nicer hotel there in Moab.
post #8 of 21 Old 11-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Id stay in my condo...

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #9 of 21 Old 11-05-2010, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

That's class!

I contacted the county health dept last Monday. They were very responsive, got hold of the motel's owners & were to do an inspection. Said they're getting more & more reports of this all over town. You cannot imagine how bad these bites itch when you've got over 100 of 'em. There are a number of online resources you can check for reports of this, Bed Bug Alert and Trip Advisor are two that I can remember. Wish I'd checked before I booked the room, both site had reports of bed bugs at the Super 8 going back months.
post #10 of 21 Old 11-05-2010, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNickelJK View Post
I just stayed at the Super 8 in Moab last weekend. Happy I didnt come away with any bug bites. I guess it is time to pay a little extra to stay in a nicer hotel there in Moab.
You may have them so don't screw around, thoroughly clean anything you took into the room and take any clothes you had in there, wash thoroughly in hot water and dry on high heat. The bites may not show up for as many as nine days, so I've learned.

A good practice to follow is to never put anything on the bed but yourself. Keep your stuff in the car if possible, bring in only a change of clothes, toiletries, etc. Keep that stuff on a table or hard surface, not on any furniture. Another thing you can do is to put your luggage in a sealed plastic bag when it's in the room. That way the little fuckers can't get in and make themselves at home.

Check the room by pulling up the sheets & looking for their droppings, which are black spots on the mattress. That's dried blood and it will turn red if you put a drop of water on it. Run your thumb around the mattress seams and look for carcasses, or the friggin' bugs themselves. Look around the headboard and on the bed frame, they love those areas, too. If you see small spots of blood on the sheets in the AM, they got you, get the fuck out of there! I actually did see some the second night I stayed there and just thought they'd put a stained sheet on the bed.

I was in rm 221, btw, which is right at the top of the stairs by the front desk. Really nice, large room. Little did I know something else was staying there, too. So far doesn't look like I brought any home, but staying cautious.
post #11 of 21 Old 11-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
You may have them so don't screw around, thoroughly clean anything you took into the room and take any clothes you had in there, wash thoroughly in hot water and dry on high heat. The bites may not show up for as many as nine days, so I've learned.

A good practice to follow is to never put anything on the bed but yourself. Keep your stuff in the car if possible, bring in only a change of clothes, toiletries, etc. Keep that stuff on a table or hard surface, not on any furniture. Another thing you can do is to put your luggage in a sealed plastic bag when it's in the room. That way the little fuckers can't get in and make themselves at home.

Check the room by pulling up the sheets & looking for their droppings, which are black spots on the mattress. That's dried blood and it will turn red if you put a drop of water on it. Run your thumb around the mattress seams and look for carcasses, or the friggin' bugs themselves. Look around the headboard and on the bed frame, they love those areas, too. If you see small spots of blood on the sheets in the AM, they got you, get the fuck out of there! I actually did see some the second night I stayed there and just thought they'd put a stained sheet on the bed.

I was in rm 221, btw, which is right at the top of the stairs by the front desk. Really nice, large room. Little did I know something else was staying there, too. So far doesn't look like I brought any home, but staying cautious.
I've never had that happen to me but that sound awful. I can't think how mad I'd be. What did the hotel say when you called them and gave them the riot act?
post #12 of 21 Old 11-06-2010, 07:48 PM
JTG
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to JTG

That sucks man Next time, stay at the La Quinta instead
post #13 of 21 Old 11-12-2010, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecarlo31 View Post
I've never had that happen to me but that sound awful. I can't think how mad I'd be. What did the hotel say when you called them and gave them the riot act?
Basically in denial, said there'd been a couple in the same room for four days with no complaints. Takes about 3 -4 days before you'd notice anything. But, they didn't offer to comp the room or anything. Contacting the health inspector again next week to get his inspection report.
post #14 of 21 Old 11-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post

Well it has been pretty much 2 weeks and I am still ok and everyone else I knew there are fine. I was in room 223 and some friends were in 225.

All I know is that I am never staying there again.
post #15 of 21 Old 11-13-2010, 07:17 AM
Granite Guru

That sucks a wet mop. Have stayed there both times I went to Moab, most recently 2 months ago but had no problems with that.

(Knock on wood)

Not really surprised with that place tho.

DD
11 JK Unlimited
4.88s, Detroit Locker/Tru Trac
37x12.50-17 Toyo Open Country RT
OME HD, RK ControlArms

Hard core wheeler
85 CJ-7
Built AMC 360,T-18/Dana 300,
4.88's, rear spool
Rebuild time
post #16 of 21 Old 11-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Granite Guru

Rooftop tents!!!! Gotta love them! I swear by these.

post #17 of 21 Old 11-17-2010, 04:25 AM
JKowners Vendor

That's why I don't stay in the chain places these days--the chains are where the international tourists stop, and that, according to my dermatologist friend, is where they are coming from.

Sucks for you--so sorry you had that experience!

Nena Barlow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #18 of 21 Old 11-17-2010, 08:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Hate to burst your bubble boys and girls but it doesn't matter if it is the Super 8, La Quinta (where I stay in Moab), the Plaza in New York, the Four Seasons in Beverly Hills, the MGM Grand or the Enchantment Resort in Sedona.

Any hotel, regardless of quality, can be a victim of bed bugs. We take it VERY seriously at my resort (650 rooms) and if anyone even hints of a bed bug bite we quarantine the room and bring in the exterminators to inspect everything. We have had a couple scares but have been lucky so far (turned out to be mosquitos in the curtains). We also give the guest a copy of the outside companies report.

Sok66, had you checked out of the Super 8 and stayed at a Ritz Carlton on the way home you could have possibly infected that room. It sucks but it is the reality of how they are spread and people traveling these days.

Not to gross you guys out but do you know where two common places are to get infested by bed bugs are? Airplanes and movie theatres.

Think about it! Think of how many people of various degrees of cleanliness make there way in and out of those seats and then think about how well they are cleaned. If they can't clean the dirty tissues and water bottles out of the seat pocket in front of you how are they cleaning a bug almost invisible to the naked eye.

New York just had a total infestation of them and movie theatres were the biggest victims.

The better the hotel, the better the chance of not having any issues but it is not a sure thing. All you can do is know what to look for and check it yourself before you retire for the night. Sok66's comments about how to check are right on.

Hope this helps!
post #19 of 21 Old 11-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Makes me want to stay at the Moose Hotel. ^^^^^
post #20 of 21 Old 11-18-2010, 07:04 AM
Rock God

I'm never leaving my house again.

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #21 of 21 Old 11-23-2010, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose512 View Post
Hate to burst your bubble boys and girls but it doesn't matter if it is the Super 8, La Quinta (where I stay in Moab), the Plaza in New York, the Four Seasons in Beverly Hills, the MGM Grand or the Enchantment Resort in Sedona.

Any hotel, regardless of quality, can be a victim of bed bugs. We take it VERY seriously at my resort (650 rooms) and if anyone even hints of a bed bug bite we quarantine the room and bring in the exterminators to inspect everything. We have had a couple scares but have been lucky so far (turned out to be mosquitos in the curtains). We also give the guest a copy of the outside companies report.

Sok66, had you checked out of the Super 8 and stayed at a Ritz Carlton on the way home you could have possibly infected that room. It sucks but it is the reality of how they are spread and people traveling these days.

Not to gross you guys out but do you know where two common places are to get infested by bed bugs are? Airplanes and movie theatres.

Think about it! Think of how many people of various degrees of cleanliness make there way in and out of those seats and then think about how well they are cleaned. If they can't clean the dirty tissues and water bottles out of the seat pocket in front of you how are they cleaning a bug almost invisible to the naked eye.

New York just had a total infestation of them and movie theatres were the biggest victims.

The better the hotel, the better the chance of not having any issues but it is not a sure thing. All you can do is know what to look for and check it yourself before you retire for the night. Sok66's comments about how to check are right on.

Hope this helps!
Thanks, Moose! It pays to check online and see if a place you're planning on staying has had any bed bug reports. Turns out Super 8 in Moab had many before I arrived. I found out later they'd been forced to quarantine 14 rooms by the health inspector, and one Moab motel has been forced to close until it passes inspection. Bottom line Moab is INFESTED with bed bugs, hotels, motels, hostels especially. The Apache, over on the east side of town, used to be one of my regular places. A local woman working for BLM stayed there five days a couple weeks ago and got over 400 bites.

Response to this by the hotel owners has been pretty poor. Only thing you can do is study up on the little bastards and do your homework before you book a room. Once there, be sure and inspect the headboard, pull the sheets back and look for them in the mattress seams and around the frame. They are nasty looking brown beetle-like things, run your thumb along the seam and if they're there they'll come out. Health inspector in Moab candidly said they've got a big crisis on their hands so be prepared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode