Fordyce Oct 16-17 2010 Pics & Vid - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Fordyce Oct 16-17 2010 Pics & Vid

Wheelin'-Winchin'-Wrenchin'-Weldin'

Another interesting run on Fordyce Trail in Northern California. Our group consisted of three JKs from JKO and two Broncos from NorCal Broncos. JeepThing, Olegrock, Rubirobv, 69Crawler and Bent70.

Our plan was to meet at Eagle Lakes, friday night and camp. We would start saturday morning and run all five winch hills, camp at Meadow Lake that night, then run back down the trail to Committee Crossing and out to Cisco Grove.

John, Oleg and I made it to the trailhead with about one hour of daylight left. We drove up to "Driveline Hill", the first obstacle on the trail. I took the left line which can be tricky because of a deep hole on the right side of the line, that if you drop into, bad things happen. As I climbed up, I felt the rear slide to the right, so I stopped. Then SOMEBODY backed me into the hole and the front of the Jeep went straight up and stopped short of doing a backward endo. I started yelling for someone to put weight on the front end. John grabbed the underside of my front bumper and placed his feet on the tierod, giving me 180 lbs of counter weight. Oleg pulled the winch line and wrapped it around a tree. I didn't start breathing until I felt the winch line bring the front end down. That would have been a bad start . Anyway we made to camp where Nate had already setup.

The next day we went back to Driveline Hill to run it in daylight, where we met Darin and Scott, the two Broncos, who were behind a group of about ten rigs. Oleg and I ran the left line again and with Nate spotting, we walked right up it. A TJ that was with the group of ten, found himself in the same situation that I was in the night before and was winched out.
Darin, in the yellow Bronco wasn't getting any traction so he tried to hammer up the ledge and ended up shearing four bolts off of a control arm bracket. ( I think?) and broke a rear brake line. He made the repairs and we were finally on the trail. Next it was Scott's turn. He broke the mounting bracket on the front radius arm, at the lower control arm and destroyed a heim joint. Fortunately, the group behind us had an on board welder. Thanks to them, we were back on the trail after awhile. Making it to Meadow Lake was highly unlikely at this point.

The wheelin' was good after that and we finally made it to Winch Hill 1, where I flopped my Jeep a month earlier. The yellow Bronco was the first to go. Darin found himself hungup, got sideways and came close to rolling backward. Oleg ran up to put some weight on the front as Darin was ready to put his foot in it, thinking he was going over and just about tore Oleg's arm off. Not good. As we were making our way through winch hill 1, a group of morons showed up who happened to be driving toyotas. So the shit talking began as the JKs started to go. Nate went first. He asked me which line I took the last time out. I told him the right side. He took that line and found himself pinned against the rockface and winched away from it with just a small booboo. He made it through without a problem after that. At this point it was dark and it was my turn. With Nate spotting , I made it through and learned I didn't have to go as high as I did on the rock face which led to my flop, the last time out. Nate did a great job spotting Oleg also. Scott pounded through with his bald 35s, faster than everyone.

We finally made it to Committee Crossing, where we camped. We had a nice campfire, where I sat with a bottle of tequilla, hoping to sleep that night. The rain came in late that night and early the next morning. With the rain working against us and an infection running up Scott's arm, we decided to head out Committee and home. As we crossed the creek, I broke the bead on my right rear tire, climbing the bank. Oleg stayed behind to lend a hand and the rest went on.

While we changed the tire, two groups passed us, each one towing a disabled rig out. That slowed our exit out. To pass the time we setup some targets and did a little shooting. Later we drove out to the Dam at Fordyce Lake and took in the vistas. We made it home without anymore issues.

As usual, another Fordyce adventure.

Here's a slide show I put together. I'm working on a video but I suck at it.

YouTube - Fordyce Oct 2010[/URL]

Last edited by rubirobv; 10-20-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Rock God

Great write up as usual! You should get the $100 bucks for that. And don't be hard on yourself for the vids. I still have some video from Moab 2 years ago that I haven't be able to get to work.
Awesome work Rob, keep it up. And I happy that you made it out unscathed.
Rating:
post #3 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Since I can't pull off an edited video, here are some clips.

YouTube - driveline hill I'm glad i didn't have this many spotters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

post #5 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

post #6 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

This little climb is very schetchy on the right.

YouTube - Darin Can't Get Traction
post #7 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

post #8 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

post #9 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

The spot was paved because I had to be different and got snagged.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JD5RlKecV4
post #10 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

This was shot just after Darin almost rolled. Took a little while to get through here.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_iL5hetLjE
post #11 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

YouTube - Nate In A Jam

YouTube - Making IT Out Through The Notch

The camera captured more light than the eye could see. This is where the video ends.

Sorry about the lame video presentation.
post #12 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Rock God

Great vids!! SOMEBODY... huh??

Can't wait to get back there next year to tackle winch hill three!! I need some body damage!

www.californiasurveillanceinvestigators.com
post #13 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 11:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Thx for the great vids!!! Looks like quite the adventure for sure!!!

You guys are Hard Core!

HUNDY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'11 VIRGIN 2 dr JK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MILITARY TIRES
Hi Tread MT 37x12.50x16.5 $150 ea!
post #14 of 24 Old 10-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Granite Guru

Great writeup Rob, thanks for posting it up! Awesome videos too. Bummer about the tire and getting stuck behind the broken rigs being towed out of Committee Crossing. Pulling a dead rig up through some of those spots in the rain would definitely be SLOW! That's a good climb over some of those rocks. Sorry I had to head out early, it would have been fun to stay and shoot with you guys. Thanks again for everything, the girls and I had a great time.

Here's a bunch of pics ...

post #15 of 24 Old 10-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Granite Guru

post #16 of 24 Old 10-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Granite Guru

post #17 of 24 Old 10-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Granite Guru

post #18 of 24 Old 10-21-2010, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

This is funny here: Darin and Scott are on the NorCal Broncos Board. I checked the site to see if they posted anything about the run. There was alot of talk before the run. Here's what Darin had to say.

"if the Jk's in are group hold together, we will be getting to Meadow sometime sat evening. See you there."

"We are going up fri the 15th after work and camping at eagles lake for the night. Sat morning heading to meadow where we will stay the night then run the trail back out through Committee. If your coming up sat I'm sure you will catch up to us as the Jk's will be moving slower. "

Here's Scott's post after the trip.

"Heading back now. Made it to commitee from eagle lakes. I broken a hiem and upper link mount. Darin sheared 4 bolts holding his rear link xmember on. Had to leave early to go to the hospital for blood poisoning from an infection in my hand which traveled to my armpit. Lost a trailer tire coming up and while heading to the hospital. Ended up dropping trailor and all on the side of the road and continuing to the hospital. Got pumped with drugs and dismounted and mounted a trailer tire in the parking lot by hand. Back tracked ti get tye trailor, whick my brother dragged to the next turn off. Im ready to be home and shower "

Let's see, who didn't hold together? Who took ten minutes to get up driveline hill? Why didn't we make it to Meadow ?

Still no JK love. Next time the JKs will just wheel in and I'm sure the Broncos will catch up to us.
post #19 of 24 Old 10-22-2010, 01:41 PM

hey hey, those were fluke breaks our cars have allot of hard miles on them.
Besides we can say those things we used to have jeeps.......................and learned our lesson.
post #20 of 24 Old 10-22-2010, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent70 View Post
hey hey, those were fluke breaks our cars have allot of hard miles on them.
Besides we can say those things we used to have jeeps.......................and learned our lesson.

That's the problem right there. You're driving a CAR on Fordyce. I think it's time to trade that jalopy for something less prone to " random or fluke" breakdowns. Oh and buy new trailer tires. I drove by your trailer on the way back. I don't think you can patch that one.
post #21 of 24 Old 10-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Granite Guru

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Good pictures and videos, for sure.I really like that yellow Bronco. That's the direction I'd like for my Scout to go in. I do find it pretty funny that they figured the JK's wouldn't hold up but they did.

I honestly wouldn't get bent out of shape over it though. I mean, impressing people is predicated upon them not previously knowing the capability of that which impresses them. Think about it...

AKA: "American" on PBB

Last edited by Matt Wright; 10-22-2010 at 11:04 PM. Reason: "upon", not "by"
post #22 of 24 Old 10-22-2010, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wright View Post
Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Good pictures and videos, for sure.I really like that yellow Bronco. That's the direction I'd like for my Scout to go in. I do find it pretty funny that they figured the JK's wouldn't hold up but they did.

I honestly wouldn't get bent out of shape over it though. I mean, impressing people is predicated by them not previously knowing the capability of that which impresses them. Think about it...

Nah, those guys are family. I'm just having some fun. The guy with the onboard welder is driving a red Scout. I have a pic of him. I'll look for it.
post #23 of 24 Old 10-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Granite Guru

"That hole back there is nasty"

best commentary i've heard in a while.

Michael Stead's Hilltop Jeep
Richmond, CA
post #24 of 24 Old 10-24-2010, 08:19 AM
Granite Guru

West coast pussies using winches to get over mere pebbles....Kidding. I would be one of those guys sitting on the rock watchig. So insane what those rigs can do. Awsome vids dude. All built rigs that looks so fun.That buggy made things look easy. Plese do post up your next trip.

Last edited by fishinmagician; 10-24-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode