If anyone is still around here, AOP 2019. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 5Likes
  • 4 Post By KnightJK
  • 1 Post By KnightJK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 09-04-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
If anyone is still around here, AOP 2019.

Here are some pics to start. Took mostly videos, will get them on youtube for viewing pleasures over the next couple days.

Weather was warm during the day and perfect 60s at night. We pulled in to camp Thursday night and left Monday morning. My buddy blew a total of 6 tires on his race trailer between there and back.

All jeeps performed great. I blew a front driveshaft u-joint getting pretty rowdy on Area 51 in the middle of the night. It was intentionally my weak link as I got it back to camp and replaced that night but I will be putting a 1410 on it now. It was about to get up when it popped. I'm getting up it next year.

Then at the top of Trail 50 on Sunday, it was my turn to get through the next obstacle and the jeep didn't want to start. After checking everything and scratching heads and drinking beer for two hours, I finally tried to remove some big white fuse that apparently has something to do with the anti-theft bullshit. Plugged it back in and no start. Fuck it, started trying to yank the heep the rest of the way up Trail 50 with no steering and barely any brakes, was looking to be a very long 3-4 hours getting back to camp. I tried one more time and Boom, started! I'm thinking it had something to do with not reading the key RFID business or whatever it is. Who knows though. It works now.

Oh and my buddy's driveshaft flange bolts backed out and sheared one off. Below is us fixing that in the middle of a black trail.

Chase Weston
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-05-2019, 06:48 AM
Rock God

That's some strategic winching there. Wonder if you can get rid of the anti-theft transponder key?

2010 2 door manual sport
post #3 of 16 Old 09-05-2019, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

you are one of the JK redeemeers in my book.

Your jk kicks ass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 09-05-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post
That's some strategic winching there. Wonder if you can get rid of the anti-theft transponder key?
I did some brief research and looks like most people are trying to add security to their jeeps instead of disable it like I would prefer. I basically need to be able to delete the whole needing to recognize the fob deal. I have no clue how it all works and I'm assuming it goes through the ECU and isn't a simple wire in a switch or resistor to trick it. Would be nice if i could wire in a slick switch that would act as the key fob recognition and then a push start. If it happens again and the same fuse being reset fixes it, I'll dive deeper into finding a permanent resolution.

This is the thread that made me try it, post #4:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...t-start-51586/

Chase Weston
post #5 of 16 Old 09-05-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

you are one of the JK redeemeers in my book.

Your jk kicks ass.
Thanks man! It definitely took a beating last weekend and kept on trucking. Bent the shit out of my steering smashing it into a rock but it didn't fail. Going to add some tubes to the cage as well to stiffen it up more, it was creaking a little too much for my liking. I think door tubes will help a lot.

Chase Weston
post #6 of 16 Old 09-05-2019, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightJK View Post
Thanks man! It definitely took a beating last weekend and kept on trucking. Bent the shit out of my steering smashing it into a rock but it didn't fail. Going to add some tubes to the cage as well to stiffen it up more, it was creaking a little too much for my liking. I think door tubes will help a lot.
I have broken 2 stock steering gearboxes in JKU & countless other steering parts at AOP. It is the eater of steering park.

You know this from our local group, but you know....

( even tho I couldn't probably hit the same trails you are, call me whenever you head to AOP. I am 75min away....)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-05-2019, 01:15 PM
Rock God

Definitely write up on here when you figure it out. My 2010 has the intermittent shutdown. Start the Jeep, 2 seconds later it dies. I have to pull the key from the ignition, take the Jeep out of gear, reinsert key and then it will start like nothing happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010 2 door manual sport
post #8 of 16 Old 09-05-2019, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

wtf, @Treader ?

I forgot about that.

I thought you troubleshot the clockspring on that? That sounds like 80% of JK issues; improper grounding SOMEwhere....

post #9 of 16 Old 09-05-2019, 02:24 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
wtf, @Treader ?

I forgot about that.

I thought you troubleshot the clockspring on that? That sounds like 80% of JK issues; improper grounding SOMEwhere....
Not to poop up the thread, but it was happening before and after the clockspring replacement with the dealer. I still have the second clockspring recall as well, but I was holding that one for when shit really malfunctions (no cruise, no horn, etc). It's becoming more frequent, so maybe a wire is loose in the column. This will give me something to do this weekend.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #10 of 16 Old 09-07-2019, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post
Not to poop up the thread, but it was happening before and after the clockspring replacement with the dealer. I still have the second clockspring recall as well, but I was holding that one for when shit really malfunctions (no cruise, no horn, etc). It's becoming more frequent, so maybe a wire is loose in the column. This will give me something to do this weekend.
My wipers will randomly come on sometimes and it chooses the speed, then I have to just shake the stalk up and a down a few times and they usually go off. Damn electrical issues. Might have been my fault when I had the dash apart though. I ended up with an extra screw in the bag labeled steering column after it was all back together.

If anyone wants to waste 9 and a half minutes of their life, here is the result of some rowdiness on Area 51.

<

Chase Weston
post #11 of 16 Old 09-07-2019, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

damn
that's impressive & awesome. looks like such fun

post #12 of 16 Old 09-07-2019, 10:58 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
If anyone wants to waste 9 and a half minutes of their life, here is the result of some rowdiness on Area 51.

<https://youtu.be/o8bOtf8eNpQ
What tire pressure were you running? I don't know that area, need new glasses & could be way off; but in the video your tires look ~rock solid (aired up) to me.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #13 of 16 Old 09-07-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
What tire pressure were you running? I don't know that area, need new glasses & could be way off; but in the video your tires look ~rock solid (aired up) to me.
They're at 8 psi lol

Chase Weston
post #14 of 16 Old 09-07-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

And if 9 and a half minutes wasn't enough wasted time, here's another 7 of boring crawling.

KrawlOff-Road.com likes this.

Chase Weston
post #15 of 16 Old 09-07-2019, 08:02 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
They're at 8 psi lol
After watching your 2nd video, I think they're 2-3 psi too high.

Your preference may differ, but I like muh tars a bit baggy offroad:

That's 8 PSI in load range D Nitto 37s.
35" MTR/Ks did the same @ 11 PSI.
I'm guessing 5-6 psi would limber up your sidewalls nicely.

I've never wheeled your area - maybe a stiffer tire helps more than it hurts

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #16 of 16 Old 09-14-2019, 06:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Come to the dark side................and rip all that retarded Jeep wiring out. Wire it up like a hotrod.

Oh, and nice rigging on the snatch blocks.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode