JKOwners Forum banner

Colorado Trip

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  valia crolun 
#1 ·
Just got back from Colorado. Went out do do a few trails with my cousin and his kids in his Cherokee Trailhawk. We did Black Bear Pass, Imogene, and Corkscrew Gulch/Hurricane Pass. Only spent two days on the trails, but had a great time in Ouray and Telluride as well. Had great weather the whole trip. Of course I got my usual nosebleeds from the dry air, but whatever.

We actually found Imogene more difficult overall than Black Bear Pass. I never had any trouble in my Wrangler, and my cousin's Trailhawk never really had trouble, but I did spot him through a fair amount of sections to ensure he didn't bang the thing up, as it's fairly new. There was only one bad spot of the steps on Black Bear that I had to spot him on, and stacked a few rocks to keep him from hitting in a bad way. But Imogene had a number of places where I jumped out and spotted him just in case. Still, his Trailhawk made it through all and with only a scuffed muffler to show for it.

I would have invited members here to join us, but we weren't actually sure what we were going to do what days because we had family meeting us who were flying in and others who were driving in from other places and we had to play the schedule as it came because we were doing different things with different people.

I got a bunch of pictures and video, but as is usually the case, when the trail gets interesting, I tend to forget about the camera, so I don't have any photos/video of the rough spots of Black Bear or Imogene. The usual photo spot on the rock on Imogene was packed with Jeeps when we got to it, and it was late in the day and we had to get back to town to meet up with people, so we skipped that spot. That'll be my excuse to go back some other year. I still have to get the obligatory pic of my Jeep out on that rock!

See less See more
#5 ·
That area is one of my favorite places to camp and wheel. Poughkeepsie is my favorite trail. A group us go there every year and we camp out on different trails every night. The avalanches last summer ruined so much of scenery. I was amazed at how much destruction was caused by all of the avalanches. Still looking forward to next year's trip with maybe a little Moab thrown in as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.