Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route By Jeep & Ram Rebel - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 03-26-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route By Jeep & Ram Rebel

My trip was in October but it took me until now to finish my video (moving and having my engine/transmission replaced kinda take away from editing time)

The Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route (COBDR) is a 675-mile pensive tour through Colorado. It’s like the Baskin Robbins of adventure travel- you flavor every biome. It can be done in any stock 4x4 over a long weekend, but you’ll want a week to savor Colorado’s majesty. I did the route with Rich Young, a co-host of the 4x4 Podcast. He drove a 2017 Dodge Rebel with a 5.7L Hemi on stock suspension and Toyo Open Country ATs tires. I have a 2013 JKU Rubicon with a 2.5” Metalcloak lift and 34x10.5r17” BFGoodrich KO2 tires. Rich slept in the back of his truck and I had my Freespirit Recreation rooftop tent.

We camped North of Montrose, near Upper Dome Reservoir, at Twin Lakes, Lynx Campground, and a truck stop parking lot.

We ran the trail South to North, starting in Ouray and ending in Steamboat Springs. We didn't have time to run the entire state-to-state route. Being mid-October, Colorado was in full Fall Foliage mode, with trees a burning gold color. The weather was absolutely perfect. It was interesting watching the terrain and climate change as we drove north. We started in warm and arid mountains and ended in snowy ski slopes. I'm going to do the trip again next year with my wife but only run the portion that's south of I-70 because it's more scenic and warm (a must for my wife).

After this trip I discovered my Jeep's head gasket was compromised, a full 2,000 miles after overheating on I-70 at the end of the video. I ended up having my engine and transmission replaced and the axles re-geared from 4.10's to 4.88's. The replacement is a 2015 engine and transmission with 46k miles. I had the transmission replaced because my original transmission was giving me trouble. My Jeep is a heavy pig so I had the gears changed so I'd have passing power on the highway and more torque on the trail. Mounted, my "34" inch KO2's measure an astounding 31.5". My tiny tires matched with such deep gearing means my Jeep is a mountain goat on the trails! In 4-Lo and 1st gear at 3k rpm's I can walk faster than the Jeep (3k rpm's is where I'm at when doing 70mph in 2wd).

If you have a few minutes, please sit back and enjoy my adventure video and let me know your thoughts on the trip. It really is a well-thought out route.

Damn the cannons, full speed ahead! |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-26-2019, 08:55 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

That is a well done video. I had that same thing happen to my JK a few years ago, but the pulley was a dealer only item at the time, and it came with an upgraded bolt to match, however I didn’t overheat and cook my head gasket.

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-27-2019, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Thumbs up

My sole+cherished paternal relatives , my aunt&uncle , have
a home in Vail and have extended me an open invite . I see vidz like this & go gaga to come out to Colorado for as long as possible w/ my rig behind me. If only I could get a two week block from work in which to drive there correctly AND have a week to take it all in . I wanna crawl the Holy Cross trail system but you're ( great ) footage makes me wanna see the entire state.

Nice addition & we all appreciate your content + u sharing it very-much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-27-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
That is a well done video. I had that same thing happen to my JK a few years ago, but the pulley was a dealer only item at the time, and it came with an upgraded bolt to match, however I didn’t overheat and cook my head gasket.
Thanks you!

I was running hot & hard uphill on the highway when the pulley blew. All that heat baked my head gasket because I had to immediately pull off and kill the engine.

Damn the cannons, full speed ahead! |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode