Telluride/Ouray Trail Mods? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-07-2018, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Telluride/Ouray Trail Mods?

Ok guys, sorry if this is a repeat but I searched the forums beforehand and couldn't find the info I'm looking for. So a question for those of you who have experience with the trails around Telluride and Ouray: I'm planning my first trip to the area this summer to camp and trail ride. Here's the basics- I've got a '15 JK Unlimited, 3"/2.5" lift, 35's. I'm re-geared to 4.88's but with open diffs. My question centers around necessary Mods to get the most out of my trip. Are skid plates a must? If so, which ones are most important? Also, should I be fine with the open differentials or am I gonna need lockers? I was actually thinking about doing just a front locker. So guys... Thoughts? Advice? Crossed fingers and prayers?! Thanks for anything useful you can pass along!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-07-2018, 08:01 AM
Rock God

You can do pretty much every trail in the area in a stock jeep, even Poughkeepsie. Saw Subarus and stock Toyota Tacoma’s on most of the trails. I have done all the major trails there including Poughkeepsie. My brother had a basically stock sport 2door and I was able to spot him up pk. He had no issues anywhere else.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-07-2018, 10:15 AM
Minstrel Gigolo

^^ Agree. Did a lot of those trails (not Poughkeepsie, the wall would have voided my rental agreement) in a rented Suburban LT full of kids and potato salad. Funny seeing all the Jeep guys airing down and preparing for Armageddon on those trails.

Last edited by snout; 04-07-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-07-2018, 11:47 AM
Rock God

Biggest hazard on these trails is avoidin' the hun'erds of tourists drivin' the fleets of rental jeeps.

No experience necessary ... just a driver's license and proof of insurance. I tend to give folks a wide berth on the trails in these areas. Never, EVER, assume the other driver even has the slightest fuckin' clue what they're doin'.

Have fun. Sure nuf pretty country.

I'm the President of The White Trash of the Elwood Chapter ... and you ain't.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-07-2018, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Sweet, thanks for the info. Like I said, I've never been to the area but the pics I've seen look beautiful. I'll be sure to avoid the the speed bumps, er... Tourists I mean. (Even though I'll technically be a tourist myself). I just plan on driving there (from Texas) and didn't want to destroy anything that would keep me from driving it home.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-02-2018, 05:45 PM
Wheeler

Garage

You will be fine with your current setup. Go enjoy the trails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode