Aussie bucket list trip to the US of A with a difference - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 180 Old 04-01-2018, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Aussie bucket list trip to the US of A with a difference

Hey guys,
ever since I was a teenager, I've wanted to visit the US of A. Whether it be the vehicles, the trucks, the sheer size of shit over there, I've had this bug in my arse to get over there and check it out.

Well back in 2010 when I was happily married, we had a few bucks stashed away for a trip overseas. The wife knew I had a thing for the joint, so said how about a holiday to LA? I was stocked! Finally get to check shit out! Have waited over 26 years for this. The idea was to land in LA, pick up a hire car and hit the road. Now this was a family event so Disney at Anaheim was the first stop. All the usual touristy stuff was done, Hoover Dam , Vegas then backtrack up the 395 to end up in San Francisco to check out the Rock and that big red bridge.. Shit, even walked across it!!
what a great time....

Fast forward to a couple of years ago, marriage turned to shit, had to sell my home to divide up the assets.Yadda, yadda....
Now , life's good, so none of that negative crap...

I was speaking to my daughter of a trip that I was planning. The idea was to head back over to the US, but this time, buy a Dodge Ram van ( 1995-2000) and trip around the country for 6-8 weeks. That way I could check things out at my pace and there was no schedule that had to be followed.

So my daughter asked, if you are buying a van , how are you going to see the Rubicon Trail and Moab? She knows how much I enjoy wheeling and to go back there would mean a definite trip to these destinations.
Good question, I said. I'll put up a post on JKowners and see if I can tag along with some of the fella's there.
She said, why don't you take "Rubi" with you on your trip? Instead of buying a van, use that money for shipping....

So here I am thinking, hell, why didn't I think of that........
So I rang the company that I used to ship my Hemi across the pond and asked if they ship to the US of A?

So......

I'm shipping my RHD Jeep Rubicon across to her homeland to start the most epic trip that I could imagine!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously plan to wheel and cruise from east to west.
The offroad majors so far are Moab, Colorado's Alpine way and the Rubicon Trail but will be adding more as I become aware of other places.

The plan is to land in North Carolina and pick up Rubi from the shippers in Charlotte.
I'll probably hang in town for a few days to get my bearings, then first stop will be to pick up a small travel trailer and hit the Outer Banks in N/C.
From there....hell, west I suppose?

No doubt I'll be asking you guys for some advice here, I'll be travelling solo, so totally out of my comfort zone, but fuck it! You only live once!!!

I'll be landing on the 21st of june so 7 weeks of traveling from then....
pvanweelden and Texas_Jester like this.

Last edited by Rodjk; 04-01-2018 at 04:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 180 Old 04-01-2018, 08:08 AM
Granite Guru

How about the trans America trail?
https://www.transamtrail.com/
Maybe you could enjoy some of the off-road parks on your way. Once you get on the best coast of the country, you can start zeroing in on Colorado, Utah, Arizona (its summer, bring sunscreen and AC) and then move into California for the Rubicon and Dusty Ershim.
No matter where you go in the US, if there are mountains, there is going to be rock crawling nearby. If there arenít mountains, there will likely be mud to play in.
post #3 of 180 Old 04-01-2018, 09:16 AM
Granite Guru

You my friend have huge ballz of steel!
This will be an EPIC trip and I can't wait to follow it. Good on you and your daughter!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 180 Old 04-01-2018, 11:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sounds like an awesome adventure!

Keep us updated so we know where to post bail.

Kevin
post #5 of 180 Old 04-01-2018, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Scooter View Post
How about the trans America trail?
https://www.transamtrail.com/
Maybe you could enjoy some of the off-road parks on your way. Once you get on the best coast of the country, you can start zeroing in on Colorado, Utah, Arizona (its summer, bring sunscreen and AC) and then move into California for the Rubicon and Dusty Ershim.
No matter where you go in the US, if there are mountains, there is going to be rock crawling nearby. If there arenít mountains, there will likely be mud to play in.
Cheers for the link, some good info in that!

I know that I'm going to get smashed by the summer heat, but didn't want to risk missing out on the high altitude destinations due to snow.
post #6 of 180 Old 04-01-2018, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhawg View Post
You my friend have huge ballz of steel!
This will be an EPIC trip and I can't wait to follow it. Good on you and your daughter!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Thank you mate, my daughter wanted to come with me but being in the later years of high school, her education is a priority to me.
I suggested a "white Christmas" one year as a trade off and she is happy with that.
post #7 of 180 Old 04-01-2018, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Sounds like an awesome adventure!

Keep us updated so we know where to post bail.
Yeah no problem, I'll keep you in the loop. I plan on heading over to New Orleans to check out this fancy food from the south, but I've been warned to steer clear of the folks west. Apparently the safe route west is through Baton Rouge....

Can I have the bail money now?
post #8 of 180 Old 04-01-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I couldn't take her on an epic trip looking like crap, enter new paint!!

Last edited by Rodjk; 07-09-2018 at 10:46 AM.
post #9 of 180 Old 04-03-2018, 01:16 PM
Rock God

Sounds like the adventure of a lifetime.
Iíll be monitoring the situation closely.

Cheers.
post #10 of 180 Old 04-03-2018, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic920 View Post
Sounds like the adventure of a lifetime.
I’ll be monitoring the situation closely.

Cheers.
Thanks for the interest. I know that if I don't do this now, I don't believe I ever will. Whether it be a financial reason, or the fact that I'm foot loose and fancy free at this stage in my life, and I don't have to accommodate the wishes of a partner. I know all too well that when you're travelling with someone else, you do have to compromise. Well, not this time!

Last edited by Rodjk; 04-11-2018 at 02:19 AM.
post #11 of 180 Old 04-10-2018, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

While I'm getting the Jeep ready for her epic trip, I thought I would share with you guys a mod that I have done to the cargo area to allow a better way to carry my gear.
Many people that set up their vehicles for touring/overlanding, fit a set of drawers to keep all their gear tidy and organised. Whilst it is common to see these set ups in Toyota's and the like, finding one to suit the JK can be a pain.

I found a mob that imports these suckers and sells them cheaper than I could get the materials for. How cheap you say? Try $262 US dollars...
The only trouble is that these units only fit the Jap jobbies, but being made of metal, cutting one down shouldn't be too painful. The version I purchased was specced to suit a Toyota Prado...

Whilst it fitted between the wheel wells ( just squeezed into the door jamb) the unit was too long by about 6 inches, no problem, have grinder, will cut.

This is the unmolested unit sitting in the required location..

In this pic, you can see how much longer the drawers are. The rear seat cannot lock into it's position..

The drawers themselves required 6 inches removed. I found unpicking the end and cutting from there the simplest way..

This pic shows the completed unit from the rear with my Engel fridge on it. Being made of steel, cutting and assembling was much easier as when bolt holes didn't line up, the mig did.

And this is the completed unit sitting in it's location in the rear. The Engel will be strapped down along with the floor that the drawer unit is sitting on. Those fella's that have viewed my previous posts will remember that floor from here...https://www.jkowners.com/forum/write-...rgo-floor.html

The Engel is on a slide that will roll part of the way out. Whilst it isn't ideal having the fridge up so high,my other option was to stack the drawers up on each other but this would've resulted in the top drawer having to be shortened further. There are fridge slides that will drop the fridge down as you slide it out, but the weight and cost of those suckers wouldn't suit my application as I have to be aware of the total weight on the rear as I will be towing...
pvanweelden likes this.

Last edited by Rodjk; 04-10-2018 at 05:11 AM.
post #12 of 180 Old 04-10-2018, 06:38 AM
Rock God

I would pull up the funtreks.com website and seriously think about getting their iPad app. or at least some of their books. should be a great trip.
post #13 of 180 Old 04-10-2018, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadmt View Post
I would pull up the funtreks.com website and seriously think about getting their iPad app. or at least some of their books. should be a great trip.
Thanks for that. Looking at their products, definitely on the list! Cheers...

Last edited by Rodjk; 04-10-2018 at 02:20 PM.
post #14 of 180 Old 04-10-2018, 10:11 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Man this is cool! Here's to safe travels and the trip of a lifetime! You will have LOTS of support here stateside if you need anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 180 Old 04-11-2018, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Man this is cool! Here's to safe travels and the trip of a lifetime! You will have LOTS of support here stateside if you need anything.
Hey Marcus, thanks for the cool words. A man feels humble reading this. I'll know doubt meet a few fella's from here and looking forward to shooting the breeze and a couple of brews with them.
RiverCityOffroad likes this.
post #16 of 180 Old 04-11-2018, 07:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That storage solution came out great. Nice job.

Kevin
post #17 of 180 Old 04-11-2018, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
That storage solution came out great. Nice job.
Cheers man, not as sweet as that cage you're building but......
post #18 of 180 Old 04-12-2018, 07:36 PM
pvanfab.com

Nice job on the drawer storage, good luck on your adventures!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

post #19 of 180 Old 04-13-2018, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvanweelden View Post
Nice job on the drawer storage, good luck on your adventures!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Thank you for the cool words... It's going to be one hell of a trip, I can feel it in my bones....
pvanweelden likes this.
post #20 of 180 Old 04-22-2018, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Well shit's getting real now.
Vehicle finished and off to the shippers. See ya in 8 weeks Rubi!

post #21 of 180 Old 04-22-2018, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Here is the start of this journey. Those numbers are in kilometres, but still some fair distance....

post #22 of 180 Old 04-22-2018, 09:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'd say it's real. Can't back out now!

It will take 8 week for the Jeep to get to the States?

Kevin
post #23 of 180 Old 04-22-2018, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
I'd say it's real. Can't back out now!

It will take 8 week for the Jeep to get to the States?
Yep, I'm booked and the red bus is booked so.....

The shipper originally said 6 weeks would cover it but because the vehicle must be there for me to start my trip, he's blown it out to 8. He's allowing for hold ups with Customs and such. I don't know the actual path, but the Panama Canal was mentioned.
post #24 of 180 Old 04-24-2018, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

The only update that I have is this pic requested from the shipper. Next stop N/C where she'll have to get use to "wrong siding"

Last edited by Rodjk; 04-24-2018 at 09:34 PM.
post #25 of 180 Old 04-24-2018, 09:36 PM
I am the one, a god with a gun

shipping container in some guy's yard... seems legit.
mmilburn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode