Beasley's Knob, rain, no map, not a good mix - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 09-25-2010, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Beasley's Knob, rain, no map, not a good mix

Well me and two of my buddies went to beasley's knob today and the chance of rain was minimal for the day time but probable for the night. we left the doors at my buddies house as well as the top, HA, so we get up there, my first time and no map and Jason hadn't been there in years so his memory of it wasn't good either. We start with a more harder trail, it was very easy though.
Then we do one of the hardest trails with a black diamond rating and most hardest. This was a long trail there was all hill climbing and some loose rocks mixed in on the trail and some slick mud and or dirt. About half way up, to far to turn back, it starts raining, WOW, things just got very tough, had to winch once to get past something I could just get no traction on due to wet. then we were able to make it to the top finally but man it was not easy at all. so the rain quit, we thought but man it really came down a pouring again about 10 minutes later and we are still at the top. To make it worse we took a trail that we thought was going to be a easy trail back down to main road so we could get the heck out of this place. The trail leads us into more black diamond trails and back up a serious hill climb and we wind up at the top of another mountain. At this point the trails are like ice in some spots where the red mud is and we are having to really jump on it to get up stuff and wow, going down was not fun at all. I WAS SCARED BIG TIME and worried that we couldn't find our way out. Wound up taking a motorcycle classified trail down which was not fun at all but it was the only way we could see without having to turn and try to go right back up and down some of the most difficult trails there in the wet conditons. Well we made it but I will not go back there without a map and I will not go if there is any chance of rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-25-2010, 10:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

My dads voice, "so what did we learn from this"

haha. its times like those that make the best stories around a campfire

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #3 of 3 Old 09-26-2010, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Indeed a learning experience. It is a very good thing I had Jason with me because he is a very experienced off roader and without him telling me exactly what to do, I would've been done. That is the other lesson I learned, "don't go somewhere you've never been alone"... The gulches is completely different in that its smaller and people will guide you around so you're not on your own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode