Moab Rock Crawling: A Moab Jeeping Adventure - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-01-2018, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Arrow Moab Rock Crawling: A Moab Jeeping Adventure

I finally made it to Moab- that places is absolutely stunning! A few years ago I "matured" from rock crawling into overlanding (a family will do that...). The guys I went with wanted to focus on crawling whereas I wanted to kick back and explore the beautiful back country in Utah. The trip was a good mix of that. This was my first big trip where I camped out of my Jeep for a week, although I did cheat a bit by doing it at the KOA. Still, it was the practice I needed to tune my gear & camping list (a refreshing shower and comfy toilet was nice, too). I learned a lot this trip and am planning a proper trip back to Moab, with BLM camping and more remote destinations. This trip was to get my feet wet on more grand adventures. Unfortunately I had to cut my trip short to 3 days instead of 6 because of transfer case issues. All my friends trailered there Jeeps whereas I drove mine there, so I was more cautious. A plastic retaining clip fell off the shift fork, which allowed gears to contact while driving. Simple but frustrating issue. I made it worse when I tried to fix it and put the shift fork in upside down. Couldn't shift out of 4wd. At that point I decided it was time for a professional to fix it. Anyways, I hope you enjoy this video that documents our trip there.

Damn the cannons, full speed ahead! |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-01-2018, 12:12 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

great video, definitely looks like a great time. I am finally making my first pilgrimage out there the end of March for EJS and really looking forward to seeing and enjoying the area firsthand.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-01-2018, 05:14 PM
Rock God

If you want to add a little more overland adventure to your next Moab trip, I highly recommend doing this trail:

Rimrocker Trail | Montrose County - Official Website

Its 160 miles of dirt from Montrose, CO to Moab, UT. The scenery is spectacular and very diverse. The trail is mostly maintained dirt roads but does get into more of a 4x4 trail for various sections. If you want to deviate, take the LaSalle Pass road when you come to that intersection. You will be leaving the RimRocker, but its a great road / trail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-02-2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
If you want to add a little more overland adventure to your next Moab trip, I highly recommend doing this trail:

Rimrocker Trail | Montrose County - Official Website

Its 160 miles of dirt from Montrose, CO to Moab, UT. The scenery is spectacular and very diverse. The trail is mostly maintained dirt roads but does get into more of a 4x4 trail for various sections. If you want to deviate, take the LaSalle Pass road when you come to that intersection. You will be leaving the RimRocker, but its a great road / trail.
Thanks for the tip. I heard about that route when planning for this trip, but elected to hang with the convoy (and their trailers) on the drive out. Now that I have a better idea of what to expect out there, that trail will be my next drive in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-02-2018, 07:05 PM
Rock God

Video never said what was going on with the Jeep in the end. What was wrong in the transfer case making those awful noises?
post #6 of 7 Old 02-05-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by christensent View Post
Video never said what was going on with the Jeep in the end. What was wrong in the transfer case making those awful noises?
I realized that after I posted the video- sorry.

A plastic retaining clip fell off the shift fork, allowing gears to rub. That's why it was worse when I was driving uphill- a gear was sliding backward and contacting another. Unfortunately, when I took it apart to fix myself I put the shift fork back in upside down and couldn't shift out of 4wd. I was pretty pissed at myself for that one.

post #7 of 7 Old 08-02-2018, 05:47 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Great video, looked like an awesome trip.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode