Jeep Camping In Colorado: Ouray, Engineer Pass, Lake City, Box Canyon, Royal Gorge - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Berserker
  • 1 Post By Berserker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 11-07-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Jeep Camping In Colorado: Ouray, Engineer Pass, Lake City, Box Canyon, Royal Gorge

I took my family to Colorado for our first "overlanding" experience. Yes it was more of a glorified car camping trip, but it was still a worthy effort. We loaded up the Jeep and camped in Colorado Springs, Ouray KOA, and Lake City. We hit a few 4x4 trails in Colorado- Red Mountain Mining Area and Engineer Pass (our plan was to do the entire Alpine Loop but we ran out of time). My Jeep was fantastic and the kids loved the roof top tent. Now that we know what it takes for a fun family adventure, we're better prepared and are planning our next overlanding trip.

Damn the cannons, full speed ahead! |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-07-2017, 01:13 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

nice, looks like a fun time!
post #3 of 19 Old 11-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Rock God

Great video. Looks like everyone had a great time.

I see now why you didn't do Black Bear Pass! Its a long walk!

I have a suggestion for your next trip. RimRocker trail from Montrose, CO to Moab, Ut. Its 160 miles of dirt trail and gravel roads with great scenery. You can camp at several remote campsites along the way. Its easily done in 2 days at a leisurely pace.

And then you can try some trails in moab!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 11-07-2017, 01:35 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

That's awesome, you crack me up. "I have to justify my spending on the jeep". Yep you accomplished that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-07-2017, 02:52 PM
Rock God

Awesome video! You are doing it right.

As stated in the video I remember taking my boys on those same trails when they where close to that age, will never forget those days. We did it with my old '49 Willys cj3a that I used to have with a v8 an all. Wife loves it now in the JK, was always nervous in the willy's. Just keep going up there, your wife will get easier with it.

2007 JKU X, 6.0 ls and 6L80e with a diy kit from RpmExtreme, 4.10, 4" ProComp Stage 1 lift, AEV drop brackets, 315/70R17 Milestar Patagonia MT , Vision Nemesis 111, 17X9 wheels
post #6 of 19 Old 11-07-2017, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
Great video. Looks like everyone had a great time.

I see now why you didn't do Black Bear Pass! Its a long walk!

I have a suggestion for your next trip. RimRocker trail from Montrose, CO to Moab, Ut. Its 160 miles of dirt trail and gravel roads with great scenery. You can camp at several remote campsites along the way. Its easily done in 2 days at a leisurely pace.

And then you can try some trails in moab!
I heard of that trail and almost did it when I went to Moab in June but my schedule didn't allow it. I talked my wife into a Moab trip next year and she wants to go to Colorado again. That trail would be a great compromise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 Old 11-07-2017, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
That's awesome, you crack me up. "I have to justify my spending on the jeep". Yep you accomplished that.
Well how else would I guarantee that we'd do more trips? The trip helped my wife understand why I spent money on certain things and she's appreciative.

post #8 of 19 Old 11-07-2017, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheels4life View Post
Awesome video! You are doing it right.

As stated in the video I remember taking my boys on those same trails when they where close to that age, will never forget those days. We did it with my old '49 Willys cj3a that I used to have with a v8 an all. Wife loves it now in the JK, was always nervous in the willy's. Just keep going up there, your wife will get easier with it.
Thanks for watching all the way to the end. The reflection was important to me, and when I showed it to my wife she cried.

We're going to Moab next year where there aren't as many shelf roads. It's been a few months since this Colorado trip and my kids are still talking about it and excited to go again.
4wheels4life likes this.

post #9 of 19 Old 11-08-2017, 07:57 AM
Rock God

If you decide to do the RimRocker trail, I have 2 suggestions. Drop your tire pressure to 14 psi. 26 psi is still way too high for a comfortable ride on rough roads and trails.

When you get to the base of the La Sal mountains, take the La Sal Pass road/ trail over to Moab instead of continuing on the RimRocker. Distance wise its shorter. Time wise probably a wash. The road to the pass is smooth and easy gravel road. Once over the pass it becomes more off a typical off road trail. Nothing hard, but much rougher and slower going.

Fewer shelf roads in Moab? We must not be doing the same trails. Shelf or shelf-like road situations would eliminate Hells Revenge, Poison Spider, Steel Bender, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek and others that I can't think of right now.

You might want to check out Dome Plateau. It has a large natural cave on it that your kids would enjoy. And its super easy.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-08-2017, 08:27 AM
Rock God

that fourwheeler has been there a while LOL. I imagine eventually it will be picked clean.

I can tell you moab has way worse shelf roads than any of the Ouray area roads including Black bear pass. The cool thing about Moab and Colorado is the shelf roads are solid so even if you are on the edge at least the edge is not going to give way.
Great video by the way. it made me a bit emotional watching as my babies are grown up and it seems like yesterday they were that age.
post #11 of 19 Old 11-08-2017, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
If you decide to do the RimRocker trail, I have 2 suggestions. Drop your tire pressure to 14 psi. 26 psi is still way too high for a comfortable ride on rough roads and trails.

When you get to the base of the La Sal mountains, take the La Sal Pass road/ trail over to Moab instead of continuing on the RimRocker. Distance wise its shorter. Time wise probably a wash. The road to the pass is smooth and easy gravel road. Once over the pass it becomes more off a typical off road trail. Nothing hard, but much rougher and slower going.

Fewer shelf roads in Moab? We must not be doing the same trails. Shelf or shelf-like road situations would eliminate Hells Revenge, Poison Spider, Steel Bender, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek and others that I can't think of right now.

You might want to check out Dome Plateau. It has a large natural cave on it that your kids would enjoy. And its super easy.
I think it'll be easier if I just blindfold my wife.

I was in Moab this year and did Metal Masher, Hey Joe Canyon, and Hell's Revenge. I'll look into the others you suggested- there's just too much out there to enjoy.

post #12 of 19 Old 11-08-2017, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadmt View Post
that fourwheeler has been there a while LOL. I imagine eventually it will be picked clean.

I can tell you moab has way worse shelf roads than any of the Ouray area roads including Black bear pass. The cool thing about Moab and Colorado is the shelf roads are solid so even if you are on the edge at least the edge is not going to give way.
Great video by the way. it made me a bit emotional watching as my babies are grown up and it seems like yesterday they were that age.
lol, I guess the people I heard about that ATV from were wrong. That's both funny and sad that that thing was still there.

We went only two months ago and it already feels like my kids have grown since then. It's motivation to keep doing this stuff. This weekend I'm taking my dad and my son to Kansas Rocks for some wheeling.

post #13 of 19 Old 11-09-2017, 08:39 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
I think it'll be easier if I just blindfold my wife.

I was in Moab this year and did Metal Masher, Hey Joe Canyon, and Hell's Revenge. I'll look into the others you suggested- there's just too much out there to enjoy.
Was your wife with you on Hells Revenge? If so, she is less fearful than your video implied. (Not disparaging your wife at all. I am afraid of heights and some of those trails scare the crap out of me!)

You might want to think about Steel Bender. There is a "shelf" road at the entrance, but its pretty tame and the drop is not very far. Not that it still wouldn't mess you up if you went over, but visually it is less intimidating than most true shelf roads. And its short. Once past that, you should be fine. Although I would probably remove the RTT before you hit the trail. The drop on the "Fall" is pretty intense. It actually looks worse than it is and the first time down it can be a real pucker factor. I think you would be fine with the RTT on but it will make you pause and think about it.

Another fun trail with kids would be Elephant Hill. There is a nasty shelf road at the entrance that might be an issue for your wife, and shortly after that, another one you have to descend. So maybe it won't work, but after those two relatively short shelf roads, its all shelf free. And you have access to "The Joint", a slot canyon you can hike to and through. Its very cool to experience.
post #14 of 19 Old 02-07-2018, 10:15 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Planning a trip to Telluride to hit Big Bear and Imogene Pass, any info or tips for weather conditions in March?

-Nomad
post #15 of 19 Old 02-14-2018, 04:40 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomad&Chad View Post
Planning a trip to Telluride to hit Big Bear and Imogene Pass, any info or tips for weather conditions in March?
There will be snow...so you can maybe hike/snowshoe but the trails are typically closed during this time.
post #16 of 19 Old 02-16-2018, 04:43 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocoastfocus View Post
There will be snow...so you can maybe hike/snowshoe but the trails are typically closed during this time.
Thanks for the info, So it looks like no wheeling trip there until summer for me

-Nomad
post #17 of 19 Old 02-16-2018, 07:54 AM
Rock God

In a big snow year, anything before July 4th can be dicey. So far this year the snowpack is below the average, so the season should begin sometime in June. Unless we get some big snows in March and or April.
post #18 of 19 Old 02-16-2018, 09:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
In a big snow year, anything before July 4th can be dicey. So far this year the snowpack is below the average, so the season should begin sometime in June. Unless we get some big snows in March and or April.
Thats an understatement. We need snow!!!

post #19 of 19 Old 02-16-2018, 05:05 PM
Wheeler

I would like to try that one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode