Last Chance Canyon 8/29/10 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 08-30-2010, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Last Chance Canyon 8/29/10

Well, to take advantage of the FREAK 80 Degree weather (usually 110 this time of year), my family headed out to Last Chance Canyon for a day of mild wheeling and exploring. The wife, 3 kids, and myself had a great time exploring the talc mines, Bickel camp, the Burro Schmidt tunnel, and the scenic canyons. The wife and I switched between our TJ and JK (things are more challenging in the TJ so we both enjoyed it more on this trip). We saw lots of Quail, a couple of coyotes, rattlesnakes, a king snake, a chuckwalla lizard, and many birds of prey. The Red Rock Canyon area is some of the best scenery in California, even rivaling Moab IMHO. There is also 2 fire-opal mines that let you dig your own opals. On our way back to the highway, we decided to skip running Nightmare Gulch out (like most people do), and follow an obscure trail that only shows up on the USGS topo map. The USGS marked the trail "JEEP TRAIL", and boy it was. Very narrow and tippy, with squeezes and turns through volcanic rock that the JK had to use the sliders to get around. This road goes over the crest of one of the highest points in the El Paso Mountains and it was a cool 55 degrees up there! Nothing hardcore, but this area is only 20 minutes North of Mojave, so its a great local trip. Enjoy the vid!

YouTube - Rogers Family in Last Chance Canyon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Granite Guru

Cool vid. Looks like a cool place to wheel. I guess it's all relative but some of that looked more difficult than "mild wheelin".
post #3 of 18 Old 09-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Cool video. That V section was a tight fit, some good driving there.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 09-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Wheeler

What are the rear corners that your running on the JK?
post #5 of 18 Old 09-03-2010, 01:23 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.GoatJK View Post
What are the rear corners that your running on the JK?
Nice.... way to poke the hornets nest!

I am sure DD will chime in and let you know how much he loves how they look on his Jeep.
post #6 of 18 Old 09-03-2010, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

They are the Warrior LED corners, or as many seem to call them "the looks good from a distance corners".

I have them on temporarily to cover damage until someone who wants to make money sells me a set of REAL 2-door LED corners that don't require cutting most of the sheet metal out. Ive already damaged both corners several times and paid for body work, so now I just cover em up until a permanent solution comes along.
post #7 of 18 Old 09-03-2010, 03:00 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
They are the Warrior LED corners, or as many seem to call them "the looks good from a distance corners".
I've seen them.... and have never called them that. Although... I did consider scratching my eyeballs out when I saw them. As DD started pointing out how bad they were, I decided that a lack of vision would never be enough and I started the process for buying a gun.... gotta erase this from memory.

Words will never describe how poorly they fit... design must have been accomplished by a special kid, using his dad's FJ as a working model.
post #8 of 18 Old 09-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Granite Guru

Mild My ass. If you had the misfortune of living in CT , I could show what mild looks like.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Wheeler

Whoops sorry didnt mean to poke the nest..... i thought they looked decent, but i suppose its like that old saying good from far, far from good. Im in the same boat with the corners, got some damage on the passenger side and like you said dont want to cut out all the rear sheet metal to install them....
post #10 of 18 Old 09-11-2010, 05:13 AM
Wheeler

I ran Last Chance Canyon a couple weeks ago, it sucks that Burro Schmidt's tool shed is all jacked up. I used my Funtreks trail book as a guide, so I missed all the "mild" stuff you went over. Which mine let's you dig your own opals, Barnett's mine? Nice video, by the way.
post #11 of 18 Old 09-12-2010, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorny View Post
I ran Last Chance Canyon a couple weeks ago, it sucks that Burro Schmidt's tool shed is all jacked up. I used my Funtreks trail book as a guide, so I missed all the "mild" stuff you went over. Which mine let's you dig your own opals, Barnett's mine? Nice video, by the way.
Barnett and Nowak mines let you did your own fire opals. They are both accessed through Opal Canyon. Barnett mine is definitely the better of the two. Just remember that getting opals is hard work! The Dutch Cleanser mine is also worth exploring if you are in that area.
post #12 of 18 Old 09-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Rock God

Great video and looks like a blast... wish I had trails like that in my back yard.

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Wheeler

Yeah, the cleanser mines are pretty cool. Heard of the Barnett mine, actually tried to go there, but the gate leading to it was closed. Never heard of the Nowak. Where's that one? Have you guys ever dug up some opals?
post #14 of 18 Old 09-15-2010, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorny View Post
Yeah, the cleanser mines are pretty cool. Heard of the Barnett mine, actually tried to go there, but the gate leading to it was closed. Never heard of the Nowak. Where's that one? Have you guys ever dug up some opals?
Nowak is off of Opal Canyon Rd too. Its nowhere near as good as the Barnett site though. We found lots of Opals when I went there last time. Bring picks, shovels, buckets and squirt bottles; and be prepared for a hard day of work.
post #15 of 18 Old 09-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Rock God

Great vid. Your jk is what mine wishes it could be, lol.

2008 X 2-door, 35" Duratacs, Clayton Long-arm, geared and locked

2012 Rubi 2-door, 37" Nittos, Method Beadlocks, JKS Suspension, JCR everything
post #16 of 18 Old 09-16-2010, 05:04 AM
Wheeler

Thanks for the info and the cool video.
post #17 of 18 Old 09-07-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Barnett and Nowak mines let you did your own fire opals. They are both accessed through Opal Canyon. Barnett mine is definitely the better of the two. Just remember that getting opals is hard work! The Dutch Cleanser mine is also worth exploring if you are in that area.
Would like to hear more about your trip though this area (tried a PM but you inbox was full).

Phil
post #18 of 18 Old 09-08-2015, 05:23 AM
DaK
Rock God

Guy probably isn't on the boards any more. This is a post from 2010.

Since this post, Nightmare has been closed due to "ecology" reasons. Whatever they are. Seems none of the rangers can nail that term down to anything specific.

The Jeep trail he is referring too goes from Camp Colorado up to one of the highest peaks in the area. From that peak you can see Ridgecrest, Robber's Roost, Owen's peak, and several other landmarks. There is a back way up to the peak that doesn't lean the Jeep as bad.

After "the change" you will begin to see posts for runs out to the area. Right now it is simply too hot to really enjoy yourself. We did a night run out there a couple of weekends ago as the temps were perfect for wheeling and doing cave exploring. Would recommend you go with someone that knows the area as there are some cabins, compounds, mines and other geological sites you may miss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode